Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got A '69 Valiant (4dr.) Signet!

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by Volunteer, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

Just a note here to pretty much 'touch bases' as it's been about a year now that I began this (silly but informative) thread. Happy anniversary to me! :lol:
    I have a little time while my toddler is down for her afternoon nap.
    So far all is well, although Signet has been uninsured since Oct.2. I'm still unsure at this point in time when I will re-insure it. I was driving the ('77) Power Wagon but it 'expired' 3 days ago, so now it's back to the Mercedes 420. (That one should look neat with the Cosco child seat installed. )
    I would like to remind those who follow (this thread) that I can be emailed anytime. I do not (and can not) spend very much time here. (we all have priorities and some of us have other lives too, right?)
    Special howdy to those who have been in touch and take care one and all. :)

2. seagull03

seagull03 Guest

Hello there.

Nothing new here with the '72. It's run a few times in order to jump-start the Polara, that's about it.

The Polara got me to northeast Ontario and back last month, smooth and sweet as always. I noticed on that trip that I'm slowing down. It used to be that I'd glance down at the speedometer and have to let off to slow down to 80 mi/hr. Now I glance down at the speedometer and have to get on it to speed up to 80 mi/hr. My lazy poking along added an hour and a half each way. I have to either speed up or find someone to share the drive with. 10-1/2 hours are long enough. 12 hours, well, I don't quite have the endurance I once did.

After I returned, the rear U joint got rough so I've replaced it. No big deal. I like this thing. Everything I have to do to it winds up being easier than I expect.

3. Volunteer

Hey, you're doing fine by using one Mopar to help out another Mopar. ;)
    As far as the battery thing, I like to keep all mine warm and dry once (such and such) vehicle is parked for the season.
    On Remembrance/Veterans Day I moved the Limo and the RX7 to the place I do casual work (15miles away). It frees up my backyard. I still have to go out there to do the extra covering and remove battery (from RX). Signet is here in yard, covered but 'good to go' at a moment's notice. The SRT4 is insured but front wheels are off to do a cosmetic repair (after inexperienced tire changer messed-up a few months ago). :angry:
    The (Fisher Price) seat is into the 420 and passed its' maiden voyage yesterday with flying colors. Just taking one day at a time and everything will fall into place. :)
    I really wish it was a perfect world
    I'm guessing you (Seag) have family in N. Ont.? I think you mentioned the town a while back. Of course right now it's probably winter with a vengeance there. So, a 12 hour trip would be unlikely. And, gas must be about a buck a liter out in the 'sticks'. sigh
    Jeez! I've been fighting some kind of 'virus' for about a month. Couple days ago 'doc' said it wouldn't respond to antibiotics so no 'per'. (boo hoo) I just have to tough it out. One day it's okay and the next it's either sinus or throat. grrr. But, it isn't contageous so my 'little one' is a picture of health. (And, I had my (free) FLU-SHOT last monday).
    God. She's ALL I can think about. (well, her and my loyal Signet.)
    Take care and keep those cards and letters coming - (so to speak) sigh again.

4. Volunteer

Well, hi again. Just want to say that all is well and time sure seems to be flying. My 'loyal' Signet is still hibernating and I'm still driving Mercedes. I got a couple studded winters for the back, as it does NOT have a 'limited slip'. Aside from a couple questionable days at the end of Nov., the roads have been good.
    I don't have much time to do anything outdoors, even if the weather was warmer. I got the wheels back for the SRT-4 put them on, added warm, fresh oil and then parked it (likely for the next 2 months) in my SMALL UNHEATED garage. (hear that Peter?) Today just happens to be the first day ABOVE 34-F. so far this month. I only have limited time to do this 'internet' thing.
    My toddler is down for her afternoon nap. I am looking forward to Christmas (if only) because she and I will be together for 3 full days and then the next weds. and then four straight days over New Years. And that, my friends, is only the beginning.:D
    So, since we are into the Holiday Season, I would like to extend BEST wishes and a prosperous, happy and healthy 2006 to everyone who happens to follow my posts and puts up with my (sometimes) 'rants'.
    All the best to YOU AND YOURS. Take care and will 'talk' to you soon.

5. seagull03

seagull03 Guest

I may have to get off my lazy bum and fix the '72 if I can't revive the Polara. Depending on what's wrong with the latter, it may be easier to fix the former. (sigh) I don't relish the idea of tearing the Polara's engine apart outside in January.

6. Volunteer

Ahhh, gotta love friday the 13th..
    I may remember it as the first day I became a 'full-time' daddy. No wife, no G.F. and no 'ex'. (is this a good thing?) Still have the Signet parked and covered for a while longer. I MAY transfer it back to the friend I got it from. Not sure at this point in time. One or both of us will do necessary body work. It sure would be nice to get some small bolt pattern rallyes.
    Been a mild winter except for those 3 weeks in late november. Once the Mercedes (insurance) expires near the end of Feb. I may just drive the SRT-4 into mid-March, but only if the weather is good. (duh).
    I trust some of you are 'on-track' with winter projects and I wish I was down south giving Peter a hand. He will just have to hang on to my 'rain-check' for a while. I hear it's tough to get a green card anyway. :unsure:
    I guess 'Seag' didn't get a new tranny cross-member from Santa afterall. tsk tsk. Better repair what you have. Can't leave those /6's off the street for too long. (like I'm a fine one to talk.) And, what happened to the engine in the Polara? did I miss something?
    That's about it for short 'update'. Remember to send me the usual emails, guys if you need that 2nd. or 3rd. opinion. Have a great January.

7. Volunteer

Howdy! Hope you all survived winter alright. Can't believe it's already March. DRY, green and 11 hours (and increasing) daylight. B)
    Sure wish I had more time to do misc. projects these days as the FULL-TIME 'Mr. Mom' routine is taking its' toll. Some of you can relate, but we are talking about a 51 yr. old guy with a 20 month old girl. (NOT a 12 yr. old boy learning to 'pull wrenches'! ) :eek:
    So, as I type this, the SIGNET is still sleeping, now joined by Mercedes. I'm driving the SRT-4 (draining the 5W-30 'winter' oil to install the 10-30 synthetic. (and the rear deck area is already 'plumbed' for the child seat tether). I enjoy pulling a few G's and watching her 'lean' side to side. (with her 'inherited' MOPAR smile, of course).
    I should have the Ramcharger back before end of month and will do some body work on Sig. I found a guy who (says he) has a good rear bumper. I will swap him a rear Challenger bumper in decent shape. Hmm.
    But, like I said, not much free time these days. The usual yard work fast approaches and I have a 383/4spd. to install in '67 Satellite and then a 331 Hemi to assemble. (which brings me to a minor? question). Do ANY of you happen to know if there was a particular (silver?) colour that came on certain (MID-FIFTIES) factory engines? I have seen several pics of restored cars and (perhaps coincidentally) a silver/white paint was evident on block, v-covers, etc. :unsure:
    Whoops, missing Married W/ Children, and then zzzzzzzzzzz. Take care and have a super March. :)

8. benevolance

benevolance Member

Howie

I thought the mid 50's had that orange that was almost red/pink....I can check for you...A guy here restores those cars specifically...He has a bunch of mid 50's hemi cars

-Peter

9. Volunteer

Thought I'd get a few words in before the Easter weekend. Hope all my 'friends' are doing great (and the same goes for the rest of you).
    I officially got the Ramcharger back today and it's still insured for a couple more weeks. I will be doing engine work on it shortly after and decided to check the 'fault codes'. Well, five came up and three were related to emissions. A very 'sooty' tailpipe (and apparently poor mileage) told me something was not good. Since I will be pulling the engine to replace leaking core plugs I will 'freshen' it at the same time. No major machining to the bottom end and likely no head work, except general cleaning and perhaps just testing the springs and lapping the valves. I will measure the (roller) cam and MAY go to a factory 340 grind. (depending on the lift, duration and general wear I find). I suspect a stretched timing chain and usual wear on the rings and bearings.
    This vehicle has about 106 K. miles, on the 5.2, 3 spd. auto, 3.21 gears and 31 inch tires. Yes, it is rather 'gutless' but I do have one direction I may take. That will be to 'mothball' the T.B.I. and retro-fit (God, I hate that word!) to regular carburetion. Uh huh, I realize that sounds like I'm going backwards but I do have a Performer intake, a good ('73 vintage) 340 T.Q., a Carter 400 AFB, and more than one electronic distributor to choose from. It would be great to hear from someone who's done something like this already. My first question would be about the fuel supply. Would it be better to install a regulator (to reduce electric pump pressure from 14 to about 4 or 5 psi.) or will a mechanical pump 'draw' through the (disabled) pump in the tank? Basically, I will need regular ignition voltage to the coil and module. Should the computer be unplugged and would that also disable the other sensors that are still in place? I don't wish to remove everytning related to the T.B.I. (except the T-body itself and the distributor.) I could post this in the truck section but right now I'm just speculating and likely will ask more specific questions when the time nears.
    So, why would I even consider driving Ramcharger (in summer) when I have a perfectly good '69 Valiant Signet? Let's see, I can put my (7-foot) 'punt' into the back of Ramcharger but also onto the roof racks of the Signet. Both vehicles have back seats but it's actually much easier to install (and tether) a child seat into the truck. Also, considering where I live there is an average of 30-plus days in the summer where the temp is over 86 degrees F., it's going to be almost a necessity to have a (black) vehicle with working air-conditioning. Yes, the reliable old R12 system is still 'intact'. I will NOT have to drive all the time so economy should not be an issue, but when we do go out during very warm conditions it will surely help to have functioning A/C.
    Fortunately there are 'legal alternatives' to Freon (should anything fail in the system) here in BC and I don't have to submit to the evil Gods of R134a. Some of you may already know that (earlier today) I partially 'vented' myself on the Tech page because (as is all too common at this time EVERY year) a question is asked with reference to Retro-fitting older (R12) systems and the same ignorant, biased and misinformed answers are posted by the same ignorant, biased and misinformed members. Uh oh! I'm doing it again, but I AM passionate about letting people make up their OWN minds without being bullied into doing something they will ultimately discover is 'wrong'. sigh.
    I must make it clear, however, that (in BC) it is ONLY ILLEGAL to perform ANY automotive air conditioning work on ANY vehicle, INCLUDING your own, UNLESS you are 'qualified', ie. TRAINED and TICKETED. Also, to do the (R134a) 'retrofit' PROPERLY, SAFELY and LEGALLY, it takes a LOT more procedure than just 'dumping in oil' and charging the (previously R12) system. Yes, it can be done pretty much with eyes closed but unfortunately there are many 'jurisdictions' (outside of Canada) which still allow 'Shade-tree A/C techs'. MY local Wal-mart does not sell (R134a) (although a few parts suppliers do) but I can also (legally) buy Duracool here, and did just that last year for about $20.
    People, the CONS vastly outweigh the PROS when considering (HFC) R134a. I've said it before and I will CONTINUE to say it. PLEASE do a search (for automotive refrigerants) and read, read, read! " Logic is indeed my 'MENTOR' and it tells me that R134a is NOT the best overall substitute for Freon but, if your particular 'jurisdiction' dictates what product to use, then by all means USE THAT PRODUCT. If a LEGAL option is open to you then USE YOUR BRAIN. :eek:
    (Thankfully) this takes me onto another topic and THIS one refers to a posted comment (on the A-body page) by member 'Charrlie_S'. He stated that there are (unnamed) members on Allpar who will post a reply to certain topics (ie. Slant Sixes) when they know only about V8 engines. I will agree with this to a point but will also add that (several members) will post replies pretty much just for the sake of being 'in print' when they in fact know little or nothing about the topic at hand. When a specific question is asked then replies must be informative and NOT contain 'buzzwords' (such as) 'I think' or 'perhaps' or 'should' or 'possibly'. Yes, I too was guilty at times and lately do not participate much unless I am offering a definite answer or part number or production code, etc. We are here to be helpful to each other and quite often that involves trading ideas and offering suggestions based on our OWN past mistakes. I do get frequent emails from select individuals because they are still looking for that 'third or fourth' opinion that hasn't happened on the forum pages and I'm not alone, right?
    Another suggestion (by Charrlie_S) was to consider crossing over to the (Slantsix.org?) website to get generally more 'informed' answers. This is good advice but not for me because there simply aren't enough hours in a day. I do have a regular (hectic) life and certain priorities. Besides, there are quite possibly members on that particular site who are not only 'knowledgeable' but also may be very opinionated. And, quite frequently 'opinion' overrides 'logic' and that's when arguments start. So, thanks but no thanks.
    Finally, off the soapbox. Signet is doing fine. NO rear bumper yet because the one I was going to swap for came off a Dart!. So, that brings me to another question. Exactly what years or models (of Valiants) will have the same rear bumper? I am still going to do some (body) work on her but as of today there is mega yardwork to finish first. One of my 'regular' hobbies happens to be gardening and just because 'toddler' is in the picture I am not going to take a 'hiatus'. (at least not this year).
    Time is really moving fast and that's only because I'm doing something significant at every moment of every day of every week. It WILL get easier. (I keep promising myself).
    So, I'd better pack it in for now. Very busy week ahead.

As usual, (all of you), please take care and have a great Easter and rest of April. B)

10. Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S Member

Volunteer: I wan't "knocking" any one about posting advice about slants. An engine is an engine, and the basics apply to all of them. But each engine has its own peculurarities. I also was not sugesting, leaving this site for slantsix.org. I was mearly making the suggestion, that dot org was an option for more in depth and slant six specific info. Like any info on the web, read it, consider it, and use common sense, in applying it. Everyone has an opinion, it might be right, or it might be wrong (even on dot org).

NOW, about R-134a. No pissing match. I believe in R-12 and R134a ONLY for auto A/C systems, at the present time. My opinion (there's that word again), but I am qualfied, to state it. I have stated it, now it is over. No arguments, no discussion, over. Everyone can do as they prefer.

11. Volunteer

Well, into May already and it had been just over six months since I started (or even uncovered) the Signet. Gotta do it eventually so I popped the hood and did the usual fluid checks. Everything looked good. I noticed the (Die-Hard Gold) battery was still there AND still connected. I generally remove any batteries before lengthy storage but last fall I figured the car could be insured and driven at very short notice. Even at the end of Feb. I would've done it if the weather was bad and/or I didn't have use of the SRT 4.
    Anyway, the battery tested at 12.6v., so I then removed the air cleaner to check the choke operation. I pumped the throttle several times and it (surprisingly) squirted fuel. Strange after sitting all this time. :eek:
    I unlocked passenger door (because car is parked beside fence on the left) and put the key in. It only cranked for 2 seconds before starting and settling into fast-idle mode. No smoke, No knocking, No ticking and No rattles. In other words, just the way it started and ran six months earlier.
    I checked the charging voltage and then 'kicked' her down after warming for about 10 minutes. I had it in neutral all this time to circulate the tranny fluid. Other than one tire being a little low, the car was just like I left it.
    So, a 'friend of a friend' supposedly wants to buy it for $700. My instinct tells me that this is too cheap for the value and dependability of this car. Where else would I buy something else for that price that weighs only 2600 lbs., gets up to 28 mpg on the highway, is totally dependable and an absolute hoot to drive?
    Sure, it isn't the 'prettiest' thing but very few $ and a lot of time could easily remedy that. sigh.

Take care and have a great May (eh). :)

12. Volunteer

Well, into June now and all is still pretty much as it was. Haven't been posting on any threads for over a week as it's been busy, busy, busy. Now, in two days, my little girl turns 2 and there will be no big celebration or 'fan-fare' for a couple of personal reasons. Anyone or everyone who cares at all or is the slightest bit curious is welcome to email me.
    Time is going fast as usual. Signet is still here and still covered. It's apparently hard for some people to come up with $700. to buy it. No matter to me. I love the car almost as much as I do my daughter (and I sure as Heck wouldn't put a price on her!) :ph34r:
    So, nothing new on Signet but if (impending) sale fails then I will try to get busy on the body work. I do not intend to insure it (regardless) before the end of August. Still several issues with the Ramcharger but it IS driveable and the A/C does work. We had first 'hot-spell' two weeks ago and it got to 96-F. I put my 'remote' outdoor thermometer sender in the Ram, on top of the passenger seat. With all windows closed and (of course) no direct sun on the unit itself, the actual temp (inside vehicle) climbed to a high of 133-F. and pretty much stayed there for about 2 hours. :wacko: Yes, the truck is black but I'm sure a white one wouldn't have been that much cooler.
    So, here I am typing an update when I only have one more (precious) hour left to re&re an 8.75" drop-out in '67 Satellite. Better get going.
    I don't know how much longer I can keep up on this thread (or how long 'they' will let me). In any event, I enjoy the overall interest and appreciate the occassional message and email from many friends and members in several countries. They know who they are. Thanks to everyone.
    As usual, take care and enjoy your June. B)

13. Volunteer

Nearing end of June and into second hot spell. Forecast of 38-C. (101-F.) for the next couple of days. Not too bad working in the shade, at least early in the day, but 'time' is still my main factor.
    As I posted on the Tech-Support page, I'm in the 'throws' of doing the camber shims on my (89) Ramcharger. The (professional) estimate I got two months ago stated that one side was (neg.) 1.47 and the (left) was neg. 1.80 degrees out. You can visually see the top portion of each tire angle slightly inward (when looking straight on towards the rear).
    I posted a question about the procedures, tools, etc. and so far I have discovered that the entire repair is pretty much 'basic' as opposed to being rocket-science. Yes, of course it is difficult and takes time but involves more common-sense than technical expertise.
    Long story short, I have the left side pretty much done. Just have to re-install the hub/rotor/bearings/seals and reconnect the tie-rod. What I DID discover, which was not 'spelled-out' by the alignment shop was that ALL FOUR of the ball-joints plus BOTH (axle) U-joints were bad, and I mean bad enough to partially contribute to the out of spec camber values. It is admittedly very difficult to actually see or feel any 'play' in the (ball-joints) by simply rocking and lifting each wheel. Once everything was 'stripped down' I could see movement when lightly prying on the knuckle.
    The most difficult part of the entire procedure (to this point) was definitely separating the upper AND lower joints from the solid axle yoke. :( These joints were easy to re & re into the spindle, as was the U-joint onto the axle assembly. (a 20-ton press is good to have when called upon) but cheaper smaller tools work well.
    So, here's me going back and forth to Parts store, first to get both upper ball-joints. Then, yesterday I got the lowers and the (Precision) U-joints and today I decided to go for the (inner-Torrington) bearing/seal kits and a 'grease' seal for both wheels. Total 'damage' for All the parts has come to $260. Plus I had to buy the #4169 special socket for $32. I already have the wheel bearing (4-pin) socket.
    One nice thing I did find out was that the (left) outer axle was able to go back into the (shift-motor) assembly without taking this unit apart, as stated in repair manual. The right side (front) axle slips right into the differential side gear and I am assuming it will pull right out (unless there's a C-lock). No matter. I am going to remove the diff. cover to inspect the gears and 'douche it out'. The (diff) seals seem to be fine, as well as the (large) wheel bearings.
    Pretty difficult to remove the 'torrington' from the spindle bore (without something like a dremel) so there's no easy way around this. Now I misplaced the special 'tapered' washer which goes on top of the upper b-joint stud. sigh. But, using the full 1.5-degree camber (o-caster) correction the angle appears to have a preliminary, albeit slight positive (camber) value.
    So, (back to the Auto Parts store two days ago), I go in there and the guy I referred to in my previous post, who offered me $700. for the Signet happened to serve me. After he got me the (upper) joints and camber shims I said to him " if I had any brains I wouldn't be doing all this. I would just insure the Valiant". Then earlier today, after spending another $50. (for the seals and bearings) I told him the same thing again, but added that the only good thing is that the (Ramcharger) has working A/C.
    As I said in the previous post, during the first warm weather at the end of May, the (shaded) interior temperature in the Ramcharger reached 135-F. at the peak of the day. Well yesterday it was actually 'cooler' outside, 90-F., than it was in May, but the temp INSIDE the Ramcharger peaked at 145-F. Now, today as I finish this (at 14:30), I see it's already just over 142 - (with temp probe set on the headrest). Now, as I edit monday morning I can report the temp peaked at 156. The roof vent was open. :blink: (at least I can rule-out a potential rodent problem)
    Maybe tomorrow or tuesday I will put the 'probe' inside the Signet to get the max reading. Duh, then again perhaps I should open all the windows to allow air movement. I think I made my point.
    So, off I go to spend a few precious moments finishing the left wheel assembly. Then it's onto the right side and hopefully a steering column transplant on tues. (hopefully, but not likely)
    Anyone know a good, firm but comfortable (cost-effective) shock absorber for the Ram? :unsure:

14. cavemanmoron

cavemanmoron Active Member

Good,comfortable, and Firm, all in one for a shock,LOL.And cheap too..........???

LOL I would suggest Napa,
    but not sure if there are Napa stores in Canada.

Monroe shocks have a good reputation,
    try Ebay?

15. Volunteer

Yes, of course we have Napa here. (we also have 'flush toilets'). ^_^
    It's admittedly very difficult to 'tame' the trucks with front leaf suspensions, but my friend's '88 150 rides really nice, yet firm enough with some unidentifiable gas shock.
    One of the popular 'mainstays' for shocks seems to be the (monroe) Gas Magnums. I haven't priced them recently but there's enough competition around to find a fair deal.
    What about raising the rear about an inch without touching the leaf springs? Yes, I know, just remove the bumper, spare tire, carpet and seat. :lol:

16. cavemanmoron

cavemanmoron Active Member

My '87 W150 rides nice;
    with the snow plow on the front, and 450 lbs of sand in the back,
    along with another 100 lbs of junk.

I use the truck, only to plow snow on the side street I park on,
    as the town takes 3-5 days after a storm; to get around to it.{If then,LOL}

17. Volunteer

My goodness, already into August, and exactly what have I accomplished over the past month? Well, actually quite a bit. Something rather 'unique' about a mechanic who's also into gardening. One thumb is greasy and the other is green. :lol:
    Right now, as I eagerly await the ripening tomatoes, I'm doing the 'fine-tooth comb' thing on '68 Dodge 200 so it can be inspected and registered. Gotta love old technology. Real 'rawhide' front grease seals and they were the same size from 1954 through '68. Napa supposedly has a good (replacement) listing.
    The Ramcharger has most of the same (annoying) issues but it steers and handles much better and no more front-end clunks. I need to do more on it during the next 4 weeks as it may be parked for at least 3 months after then. Steering column will be next.
    In the meantime I also hope to do some 'cosmetic' improvements on the Signet and then get (at least) 3 months of insurance and reg. , which will cost about $200. (That's a lot of 'coin' for me these particular days).
    Any $ I put into the Ramcharger or Signet in the next few months will basically have to come from 'wheeling and dealing' or selling off misc. Mopar items. One thing I do have that can (should) return me a 'reasonable' sum is the rear Finish Panel off a 1970 Challenger S.E. It probably hasn't been used since around 1985 and on a scale of 1 to 10 I can honestly give it a solid 8. There are no dents, the chrome has some very minor knicks, the (charcoal) paint is near perfect and the fasteners are all there.
    Anyone interested? I can now take digital pics but so far haven't the time to do the Ebay thing.
    C'mon. 'Baby (Signet) needs new shoes (wheels)'. :rolleyes:
    I'd prefer to swap this piece for some (small-bolt) ralleys. Not a big deal but it's about time I thinned-out some items that no longer figure in my future.
    Catch you all later and have a great August.

18. Volunteer

As they say - the more things change, the more they are likely to stay the same.
    Another month has come and gone and I've been completely off the computer for the past two weeks. Lot's of the usual 'priorities' take precedent and some of you are well aware that I do not possess the luxury of spending hours per day 'on-line'. Of course there's more to life and some of us have a little too much 'free-time'. Right?
    So, as I said last time the Ramcharger is parked (complete with its' current illnesses and I went ahead and got 3 months of insurance on the Signet. Okay, and that was 8 days ago and I still haven't driven it. Weather's been so good that I figured I should complete the significant body repairs. I began with the lower right fender and cut out and replaced damaged metal. Then I finished the surface and went onto a dent on the same side, adjacent to the headlite. Ended up priming and painting the complete fender but was aware of the inevitable 'dirt'. Otherwise it turned out excellent. It was soon evident that the burned/faded paint on the hood was a poor match for the fresh B7.
    However, it just took off from there and I then stripped all the paint off the roof because it was pretty much 'baked on' and wouldn't feather edge where the paint had flaked off. Seems to be a reddish then a gray primer underneath the (original) blue.
    I turned my attention to the left fender and cleaned up the area where I patched a 4-inch hole in November of '04. It was in good cond but I left too much 'putty' on the patch. I also restored the underneath portion (pretty much above the headlite pot.) The driver's door was next because it was 'punched in' closest to the hinged end and all I did (two Novembers ago) was to pull much of it out and seal off the paint damage. It also held up well over two winters but the biggest challenge is to restore the integrity of the body lines, which many of you are well aware of. Typical of sixties Mopars.
    Then it was to sand the hood; much to bare metal, and repair some minor front edge dings. I removed the (front) bumper, grill and the (body-color) piece between them. Someone had painted the whole area (behind the grill/ between headlites) black. Fortunately it's also in good cond so I will seal it off and then prime and paint.
    So, that's about where I am. Only a maximum of 4 hours a day to work on it and the 'weather clock' slowly ticking down. Of course I can paint it where it sits but without the proper facilities and equipment it would be 'futile' at best. I will do what I can with the priming, body work, minor painting and undercoating and see if I can find someone to spray it (after booking a booth) . The nearest one is six blocks away.
    There's still the lower rear quarters to restore, plus the trunk will have to be completely stripped and a dent on it repaired. The (13-inch) wheels are also blue but I can clean them up and spray myself. I ultimately hope to locate some small-bolt ralleys by next spring.
    Like I stated in more than one previous posting, this ($200.) car is otherwise totally (structurally) rust-free and extremely satisfying to drive. It honestly deserves to have some 'life' breathed back into it. What kind of shape would I expect to find a ($200.) K-car? And what would it cost (anyone) to repair and make totally 'roadworthy'?
    The Ramcharger will need more work before I re-insure it. In a worst-case scenario, IF I cannot have the Signet repainted by end of Sept., I may just switch insurance over and keep the car dry and covered until spring. Not a big deal.
    And in the past two weeks gas has dropped from about $5.05 to $4.50/ gal. (such a deal!)
    So, I am going to put out some 'feelers' about getting a painter (do-able for $200. including use of booth) and see what materializes.
    Anyone out there who knows of a good replacement (blue) cloth/vinyl bench seat? If I cannot find the exact pattern (highly unlikely) I will try for front AND rear seats.
    So much to do and so little time. Right now it's 19:30, just about dark, and a couple months earlier it would be like 21:30. (sighhhhh). :(

Have a good Sept. everyone.

19. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Pictures; Volunteer, pictures?

You doing the bodywork on your Valiant may be of interest to many of the other posters on this Forum :)

20. seagull03

seagull03 Guest

Speaking of not having been around for awhile...

The '72 Valiant is gone. I had to let it go as the place I moved to last month hasn't room for assorted vehicles. I had someone interested in coming to pick it up but it never happened. So I called a boneyard that specialises in "classic" vehicles, was assured that it wouldn't be hauled off to a crusher, and told 'em to come get it.

90400 miles and a bit. The Ohio road salt is what did it in.

The Polara also has 90400 on it now and is going strong. I burst a front brake line a couple of weekends ago - same line, in two places at once - and replaced it last weekend, doing an oil/filter change at the same time. I also (hate to admit this but I'm going to replace the rad anyway) put some Prestone sealer goop in the radiator. It worked. The thing holds pressure now. So I'll run it this way until I can scare up a new radiator.

The day-to-day work vehicle is a '96 Ford E250 station van. What the hey, Clear Channel pays the fuel, so of course I'm going to drive it. :D

I ran the Polara today though, just because I felt like it.

Petrol around here is $2.40/gal for the 93-octane stuff.

I expect it to be back to well above $3.00 following the first Tuesday in November.