AF: Grand Caravan: The end is near | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Caravan: The end is near

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by vipergg, Feb 26, 2020.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The thing is this: I'm sure the "new car, new name" people run all kinds of surveys to back up their thinking, therefore proving that this product person is worth their money. But the problem is, the surveys are often very leading. Like I've said before, the people making their decision are often off to "save" another company before the impact of their renaming decision is even known.

I think the ultimate example of consumer focus group stupidity was Oldsmobile asking people if they liked the Aurora better if the Oldsmobile name was on it or not.

UN4GTBL, Zagnut27, Doug D and 2 others like this.
  2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Indeed. Vehicle purchase is a very uniquely personal and individual process.

Thing is, branding, marketing and sales are a numbers game: whoever can convince the most consumers wins.

From that perspective, whatever automakers can do to convince sufficient customers, whether it is retaining existing ones, or conquesting new ones, gets an advantage over the competition.

gforce2002 likes this.
  3. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

all the powers-at-be have to do is examine the success of these nameplates:
    Corolla
    Civic
    Sentra
    Four Runner
    Land Cruiser
    all are 20+ years old or older and Civic dates to 1972, Corolla, 1968 I think...positively ancient

other successes:
    Corvette
    Camaro
    Mustang
    Challenger
    Corvette is the oldest dating to 1953, Camaro 1967, Mustang 1964, Challenger 1970 but of course was based on the Barracuda which went back to '65 I think....
    So we see for the US makes, their specialty cars have done well with nameplate identities as have SUVs and the trucks, but passenger cars, not so much.

HOWEVER, at one time:
    Impala
    Fury
    Galaxie
    were 3 of the biggest sellers, as was at one time the Olds Cutlass now poor forgotten Olds...

Zagnut27 likes this.
  4. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

One that boggles my mind is the Chevy Cavalier/Cobalt/Cruze. Think of how many Cavaliers were sold over it's 20 plus year run. Then they threw that name away and went with Cobalt, which was a significantly better car than what it replaced. Then they threw that name away and went with Cruze, which again was a significant improvement. All along it could have been Cavalier, with each generation improved from the previous.

Anyway, that's getting off topic. Let's get back to talking about Dodge throwing away a 35 year nameplate. :(

5. aldo90731

Other long-running names are:

Cherokee
    Wrangler
    Charger
    Grand Cherokee
    Ram —i.e., Dodge Ram
    124 Spider

Zagnut27 likes this.
  6. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

I meant having newer updates like the 8.4" screen and AWD.

Crossover update looks great too...

UN4GTBL likes this.
  7. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

Amen

page2171 and aldo90731 like this.
  8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I often think of lyrics from a song by Don Henley (The Garden of Allah) when I hear people quoting statistics or research study results, and they clearly have no idea what they’re talking about but they’re spinning it anyway. Data can be a useful tool, or a weapon, depending of who’s doing the interpretation.

Today I made an appearance downtown
    I am an expert witness because I say I am
    And I said gentlemen, and I use that world loosely
    I will testify for you, I'm a gun for hire, I'm a saint, I'm a liar
    Because there are no facts, there is no truth
    Just data to be manipulated
    I can get you any result you like
    What's it worth to you?
    Because there is no wrong, there is no right
    And I sleep very well at night
    No shame, no solution, no remorse, no retribution
    Just people selling t-shirts
    Just opportunity to participate in the pathetic little circus
    And winning, winning, winning.”

aldo90731 likes this.
  9. aldo90731

Indeed, winning is all that matters: winning the sales race every month, winning the profits reports every quarter, winning that our ads gets the most clicks and our photos the most “likes.” Even if the business eventually goes under.

In our politics it is all about winning, too. Who cares about governing any more when everyone is so busy winning...

Don Henley was prophetic...

page2171, gforce2002, Morty and 4 others like this.
  10. jglen490

jglen490 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much done with FCA.

O.K., the current Dodge Grand Caravan is a dated design, as is the Journey. But to throw away a valued name, when that valued name could be attached to a better design is gross stupidity. When the new Pacifica came out as a "replacement" for the T&C brand name, all I could think of was rusty K-frames (associated with earlier models of the first Pacifica). I don't think the current Pacifica is a very attractive design, either. Maybe the grill is O.K., but the reverse kick on the back pillar is just weird. The capability for being a great vehicle MAY be there for the Pacifica, but again FCA threw away a well known marque, associated with quality, for a rusty K member.

Dodge. I'm glad the cars are doing alright. But, the minivan has been the mainstay of that brand, a useful product, and a fine example of American ingenuity for a few decades. Now, Caravan and Grand Caravan are (soon to be) gone.

I can't stand it anymore. FCA obviously does not want people like me to come back for my next vehicle.

aldo90731 and pug-man like this.
  11. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

I so hope that happens.

Love me some racetrack taillights

12. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

FCA, is what it is. Profit for stockholders and nothing more. They can spin it anyway they like, but at present time, that's pretty much it. But the vast majority of American companies today are just like them. Very few take customers seriously, that is until the sales get tough, then the bend over backwards appears. Our system, unfortunately isn't set up to reward good products at a fair price anymore. It's either cheap cheap, or very expensive, nothing much in between. Autos though aren't cheap at at from a price point. I don't blame them, they're only doing what consumers will tolerate. Change in tastes are coming, Harley is finding that out right now. Will they be able to adapt? Past practices by American companies say the money's not on their side.

UN4GTBL, page2171 and aldo90731 like this.