Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Caravan v Journey

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by chuckt, Jan 28, 2016.

1. chuckt

chuckt Well-Known Member

I should just go into my local dealership and ask the question but I would probably get a deer in the headlights look. I have been mulling over a new vehicle (the 98 GC has 100,000 miles and my 2004 Monte is not the car for the winter so I am thinking of selling/trading it) so I got onto the Dodge site and did a "build it yourself" for the 2 vehicles for 2016. It just seems to me that if I want the V-6 in the Journey, the price goes higher than the GC. The Journey is a smaller vehicle and has the same drive train (If I keep my GC, a smaller vehicle would be more useful) so it should be priced accordingly lower. I know I am just doing a quick recon onthe net with a later date to the dealership so I want to be armed with some info.
    The last time I idly talked with a salesman, he said that the GC's were outselling the Journeys between 5:1 and 8:1 (which makes sense if the bigger vehicle is a better buy).
    I also like GM's Terrain but their V-6 has still existing issues with timing chain failures and premature fouling of the valves. I don't need these headaches.

2. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

It depends on your needs but I think the GC is the best buy. With the GC you get alot more space and for some reason the Gv gets better realibilty then the Journy.

3. chuckt

chuckt Well-Known Member

Since it is just me and the dog now, a smaller vehicle for around town and fishing is more desirable. And I do have the GC which is very reliable and now takes the load. The supercharged Monte Carlo has only 25,000 miles and is a vehicle which mostly gets garaged in the winter. Besides, arthritic knees do not like bending down to get into the Monte anymore (and I never have let Sam ride in it--I don't need him tasting the leather).

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Build and price won't ell you how heavily the Journey is discounted.
    Build them as you like on Dodge.com then take that info over to Edmunds.com and see what they list as true market value for them. You'll probably find the Journey costs less even if MSRPs are close.

somber likes this.
  5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Agree. I have never paid MSRP on a new vehicle. There was always some sort of incentive or rebate that brought the OTD price down. My 2006 Ram 1500 had a MSRP of $32,400. After rebates, taxes, tags the final price was under $29K. 2009 Journey MSRP $23K - final price $21K.

You can get more options in a Journey for the same price of a less opted GC after incentives and rebates. At least I did when I bought our '09. The Journey basically took the place of the Caravan. They both have their advantages. Journey is more manuverable in traffic. GC has more space and utility. GC is a true 7 seater. Journey is 5+2 with the 3rd row. It's all in what fits your needs and budget.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Haha, we did this once, with the 1995 Neon, in early 1994, when it was REALLY hot, as in early PT Cruiser hot, as in early Hellcat hot... dealers adding thousands to the price of an economy car! We paid list just that once.

Journey is also more of a regular car feel, firmer and sportier so to speak, as you say more maneuverable and easier to park; GC feels much more high end inside, smooth ride, quieter.

omnirider likes this.
  7. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

I love the 2016 Journey RT we just got. Had a Voyager and other vans before and wife didn't want another "soccer mom" vehicle. The Journey RT high performance suspenion handles great and the vehicle body is just right for just about any errand. You really have to work the deal though and not just rely on any rebates as the dealers can discount more than you think. Don't even consider a 4 cyl Journey as they have all the problems it seems and no power to boot!

8. auric

auric Well-Known Member

Those journeys might be AWD. That's not an option on the current caravan.

9. chuckt

chuckt Well-Known Member

The Journeys come in FWD too; which is what I was using when completing the "build one" on the Dodge website. Around the Chicago burbs and the better handling than RWD in the snow, FWD is all I need.

10. Daytona Dude

Daytona Dude Well-Known Member

I've been to the dealer, and even the sales rep admitted that the GC is a better deal with the V6. Now I'm torn on which to buy, as my wife prefers the styling and size of the Journey over the GC, and will be the driver. I also like the fact that the GC has a more proven platform. We would be replacing our much loved 2002 GC.

11. Doug D

Depends on how you define "better". When it came to buying the Journey and trading in our T&C, the question was "How much seating do we need?" 5 or less - Journey, 6 or more - T&C (or now the Pacifica). At the time our needs had dropped from seating for 6 to seating for 3 so we opted for the Journey. Now that our needs have changed again (have three grand children) we are considering going back to a minivan (T&C or Pacifica).

saltydog likes this.
  12. chuckt

chuckt Well-Known Member

While having my G Caravan oil changed and coolant flush, I toured the showroom since I am interested in a possible new vehicle. One negative for the Journey is the location of the battery. It's under the fuse box and looks like the box must be removed to get at it or the tire must be removed. No way..The only time I have batteries crap out is in the Chicagoland winters and I am not about to spend more time than necessary pulling stuff out of the way. On the contrary, the new Caravans have that battery up top where it is accessible.

13. Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue Radioactive

I have had several "Magic Wagons" in my family, starting with Dad's 85 (short), and then my 96 (short), 95 (long), and 2005 (long). I also had a 2010 Journey R/t.

The Journey was nice, but it just didn't do what the vans did, in so far as moving people, large dogs, or stuff.

My advice is think about what you like about the Caravan, and ask if the Journey can fill that role.

@chuckt - the battery is accessable from the wheel-well, which is only a little better.

14. chuckt

chuckt Well-Known Member

Wheel well...that still means tire removal. All my batteries have crapped out in the dead of winter due to low cranking amps. Snow, cold,...nah. Th Journey just got nixed from my list of possible future vehicles. For the price, the Caravans are a better buy. The only reason the Journey attracted me was something different after 2 minivans. But, on the other hand, minivans are hard to beat.

15. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

My Stratus had the battery in the front wheel well. Tire removal was not necessary after the first replacement - simply cranking the wheels all the way to the left provided enough room to get the battery out.

Then again, I also replaced the battery with one with higher CCAs in the fall before winter started, and kept the original as a spare in the garage/shed.

16. Doug D

FYI - the battery can be accessed for replacement via the left front fender well. Only need to turn the tire to the right though there is more access if you remove the left front tire. If you need to make a jump start there is remote negative and positive posts on the LF strut tower.

Where the Journey did beat the Caravan was on price. At least it did when we bought our '09 Journey SXT back in '08. Out-the-door price on the 2009 Journey SXT we bought was $21K. A Caravan/T&C with similar options was $5K more.

Yes, it is a pain where the battery is located. Yes, I paid $30 more for labor when the battery needed replacing. Not a big deal in my book.

FWIW - I see a fair amount of Journey's in our area. If it works for you, fine.

floridaman2013 likes this.
  17. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

FYI there's boosting posts under the hood of the Journey specifically for jump starting. I've had my Journey 5 years now and I live further North than Chicago and I've still got the original battery.

FYI the 19" wheels look great but the Khumo tires are awful in the winter. We ended up buying winter wheels and tires even though we have AWD.

Caravan is the most versatile vehicle for the money. It can go from 7 passenger people hauler to cargo van capable of laying a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat in minutes. Journey doesn't have that flexibility. I feel the interior in the Journey is nicer and more car/SUV like. Also Journey has the instrument cluster screen and you can get the 8.4 UConnect system. Caravan has neither of those.

18. Lorena

Lorena Active Member

I'm always going to default to GC. It is after you buy it that you use it and can't live without it. I consider it the opposite of the truck effect. Instead of "I think the biggest truck to haul my house to the lake and rip out Yellow Stone's finest trees" where than the truck person is afraid to use it due to dents, scratches, etc. The minivan is, "Well, now what to do with all this space?" Then your washing machine blows and you need to run to buy a cheap, but large shop vacuum. No time to waste, the floor model is ran through the register and tossed in the hatch with the seats stowed. Unload and call the plumber while you mitigate the damage lol.

The Journey though, may end up even cheaper than the base caravan at the moment. They really are pouring on the money right now.