Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Cherokee SRT or Diesel?

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by 12soldier, Dec 1, 2016.

?

Can't decide between SRT or Diesel

1. SRT

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Diesel

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about picking up a used Grand Cherokee SRT or possibly new, but not sure what to look out for or what changes occurred as an improvement over the years. As a second choice I was considering the diesel option in one of the premium models in lieu of the SRT. But again I have no idea what some common problems are/were with these two choices. Anybody?

...disregard previous post....

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

It really depends on what you want. The diesel is strong, a great economical choice especially if you want to tow.

But it's nothing like an SRT.

3. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

I like diesels for towing torque, fuel economy, longevity, ease of maintenance. SRT's seem a little over priced in my eyes and how long will gas be cheap enough to drive them?? They already started jumping up yesterday after OPEC announced their cutback.

4. WS23Mopar

WS23Mopar Member

I've toyed with the idea of a 2014 JGC Diesel in the near-ish future. I do a fair amount of short driving trips (less than 5 miles) so would this be bad for a Diesel? I know I would lose fuel efficiency on short trips, but would it do anything worse than that?

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I had a 2014 Summit diesel for about a month. I really loved the diesel. I preferred the diesel Grand Cherokee to the Hemi Durango R/T, the diesel pulled even stronger than the Hemi, loaded or unloaded. The diesel also was more efficient. Sadly, the Grand Cherokee had electrical issues and Carmax agreed to take it back. I keep thinking about maybe finding another diesel Grand Cherokee.

12soldier likes this.
  6. 12soldier

I do believe in the long posts regarding the next Jeep Wrangler someone mentioned about 2014 is when they did some heavy changes for the grand cherokee in the electrical for the 2015 model year. I was hoping someone could inform me of what and when things changed for the exact reason you spoke of.

7. 2012srtchallenger

Supporter

I am not a fan of diesels,they are hard to work on and when they break you will need a lot of money.iworked at dealer when libertys came out,emission nightmare.have friends with ecodiesels and have had ok service from them but I would rather have low maintenance hemi any day

8. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

They are two very different animals.no off roading with the srt.owned a 2012 gc srt,now own a 2015 gc srt.biggest difference is the 8 speed transmission.it is fantastic compared to the five speed Benz trany.the high performance. Brembo brakes do wear out fairly quick
    but that's what you get for that fantastic braking ability.my wife and I both love our gc srt.the power to blow away annoying drivers is awesome.

#8 hemirunner426, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2016
    12soldier likes this.
  9. 12soldier

Yea I like the SRT but not so much the 2017's grill area. My wife wants me to wait until we see the newer future model and then decide. I'm just ready for change. I currently have the 5.7 HEMI Ram, but never really tow anything. So I wanted to get back to the Jeep brand, she has the JK with the 3.6 but drives mostly highway like myself. I don't like the V6 because it just doesn't have the power I like for going when you want to. I don't drive fast a lot, I mostly cruise along, but there are lots of times when I need it just to get around that Prius in the fast lane and that one annoying person in the left driving side by side.

hemirunner426 likes this.
  10. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

If you're mostly highway, the MDS of the 6.4L will sip fuel if you maintain a speed consistently on the highway. I find the EcoDiesel is a plush ride, and you will get fantastic economy, however I do not find them "fun" to drive. Don't forget, aside from 4-Corner Air Ride, a Summit is a fitted with the same great technology as the SRT.

11. 12soldier

I do like the Summit but like the color of the indigo interior offered in the Overland better, it reminds me of a Maserati or Ferrari interior. The SRT suede interior reminds me of the Lamborghini. The new Summit interior is nice but kind of too bright for my tastes. But it's good to know the technology is the same. Is it only the Summit that uses the tech or does it go down into the Limited's and Overland as well??

12. BobbiBigWheels

Level 2 Supporter

Difference between an Overland and Summit = fit and finish, and Air Ride becomes standard in a Summit. You're paying for appearance.

13. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

The SRT is all about speed and handling.Great seats and interior.480 horsepower..i love it.

12soldier likes this.
  14. 12soldier

I'm very curious to see the refreshed Grand Cherokee in the works. Right now, it's the only thing stopping me from buying the 2017. I just don't like driving the older versions of something, vanity I guess.

BobbiBigWheels likes this.
  15. BobbiBigWheels

Level 2 Supporter

Hey bud, I waited until the current gen style Charger came out in 15' to get mine. If you're gonna spend the money, get what you truly want.

12soldier likes this.
  16. 12soldier

2nd dealer just called to tell me the diesels should be rolling in soon. Messaged FCA thru their chat online area. I was told the EPA still has them on hold. Anybody know any better??

17. Tomguy

Level 2 Supporter

I would say test drive both, and the 5.7 Hemi as well. It depends if you want speed or economy, or just luxury. The 5.7 is faster than the Diesel, the 6.4 is the fastest. The Diesel is the most economic. It'd likely be at least 6 more months, knowing the snails pace of the EPA, for the 3.0 to come back out - if it does. The 5.7 and 6.4, you can buy today. If you want the best performance that doesn't require premium gas, the 5.7 would be it, otherwise the 6.4. They are all Grand Cherokees, sure, but the character of each is very different.

The 5.7 is actually surprisingly quick off the line. It doesn't have the breath at higher speeds that the 6.4 does, or the 5.7 LX cars unencumbered by the mass and Cd of the Jeep. So 65+ acceleration, while it'll smoke the Diesel, would also handily lose to a 5.7 LX. If that matters to you.

Like Bobbi said, buy what you want. Just test drive them all first. I am waiting until the SRT Durango comes out, and then I'm going to test drive one, an R/T Durango, and a Pacifica Hybrid (I guess I'm all over the board, like you) before I decide. I just know I want 6+ seating, and haven't decided yet on economy or power. I have fears, with the current direction, I'll need to choose economy. Don't want to pay over $3.50 a gallon for Premium.

18. 12soldier

Yea I've been considering the diesel more so than ever. You pay for the upgraded engines, but my 5.7 RAM had a worn out camshaft at just over 100,000 miles, so after repairing I've paid twice for the same the engine. I'm still waiting on that diesel to check the difference, but have heard of problems with them around 75,000 miles, which is still under warranty at least. Is there a hardened camshaft, rods, and lifters on the SRT?

19. Tomguy

Level 2 Supporter

Funny, another thread in this same forum I talked about that.
    Odd that yours failed later, but not in the really high mile range. Maybe they found a fix to last past warranty. Guess I'll make sure to get an extended one on the next new one I buy! If you aren't doing towing, and want the most reliable and economic blend, I'd honestly get the 3.6 because here, gas is cheaper than diesel by 30-50 cents a gallon, and I don't have any areas over 2300 feet in elevation I drive through - and usually I stay between 700 and 1200, which means the turbo isn't as needed as it would be in, say, Denver or similar.

The cam on the 5.7 and 6.4 are almost surely hardened in the same processes. It's not the hardening that's the issue, the followers fail and grind into the cam as a result. The followers are probably the same on the 5.7 and 6.4 engines. The 6.4 I believe has a more robust oil pump and thus I haven't seen anything about them failing.

12soldier likes this.