NewsDemon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon • Ram Longhorn to match trailers

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Cherokee SRT or Diesel?

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by 12soldier, Dec 1, 2016.

?

Can't decide between SRT or Diesel

1. SRT

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Diesel

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. 12soldier

12soldier Member

2nd dealer just called to tell me the diesels should be rolling in soon. Messaged FCA thru their chat online area. I was told the EPA still has them on hold. Anybody know any better??

2. Tomguy

Tomguy Member Level 2 Supporter

I would say test drive both, and the 5.7 Hemi as well. It depends if you want speed or economy, or just luxury. The 5.7 is faster than the Diesel, the 6.4 is the fastest. The Diesel is the most economic. It'd likely be at least 6 more months, knowing the snails pace of the EPA, for the 3.0 to come back out - if it does. The 5.7 and 6.4, you can buy today. If you want the best performance that doesn't require premium gas, the 5.7 would be it, otherwise the 6.4. They are all Grand Cherokees, sure, but the character of each is very different.

The 5.7 is actually surprisingly quick off the line. It doesn't have the breath at higher speeds that the 6.4 does, or the 5.7 LX cars unencumbered by the mass and Cd of the Jeep. So 65+ acceleration, while it'll smoke the Diesel, would also handily lose to a 5.7 LX. If that matters to you.

Like Bobbi said, buy what you want. Just test drive them all first. I am waiting until the SRT Durango comes out, and then I'm going to test drive one, an R/T Durango, and a Pacifica Hybrid (I guess I'm all over the board, like you) before I decide. I just know I want 6+ seating, and haven't decided yet on economy or power. I have fears, with the current direction, I'll need to choose economy. Don't want to pay over $3.50 a gallon for Premium.

3. 12soldier

12soldier Member

Yea I've been considering the diesel more so than ever. You pay for the upgraded engines, but my 5.7 RAM had a worn out camshaft at just over 100,000 miles, so after repairing I've paid twice for the same the engine. I'm still waiting on that diesel to check the difference, but have heard of problems with them around 75,000 miles, which is still under warranty at least. Is there a hardened camshaft, rods, and lifters on the SRT?

4. Tomguy

Tomguy Member Level 2 Supporter

Funny, another thread in this same forum I talked about that.
    Odd that yours failed later, but not in the really high mile range. Maybe they found a fix to last past warranty. Guess I'll make sure to get an extended one on the next new one I buy! If you aren't doing towing, and want the most reliable and economic blend, I'd honestly get the 3.6 because here, gas is cheaper than diesel by 30-50 cents a gallon, and I don't have any areas over 2300 feet in elevation I drive through - and usually I stay between 700 and 1200, which means the turbo isn't as needed as it would be in, say, Denver or similar.

The cam on the 5.7 and 6.4 are almost surely hardened in the same processes. It's not the hardening that's the issue, the followers fail and grind into the cam as a result. The followers are probably the same on the 5.7 and 6.4 engines. The 6.4 I believe has a more robust oil pump and thus I haven't seen anything about them failing.

12soldier likes this.