Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Cherokee SRT8 conversion project

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by GM1988, Dec 30, 2017.

1. GM1988

GM1988 New Member

I'm planning on doing a Grand Cherokee SRT8 project and my question is which is the best trim on the 2005-06 Grand Cherokee as an blank canvas to start the conversion.

2. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Give the SRT model a try.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. The SRT model is a 'package', more than installing a Hemi in a WK Limited or Overland. An SRT 'clone' may not be safe, reliable or licensable (depending on local special or modified vehicle laws).
    Having a complete donor SRT to build an SRT would supply the parts, but be a lot of extra swapping. You might find it easier if you find a salvageable SRT and resurrect it. 2005 had the 5.7L. 2006 had the 6.1L.
    An example:

https://www.copart.com/lot/41474217?resultIndex=136112&totalRecords=152232&backTo=/vehicleFinderSearch/?displayStr=Ram&searchStr={"MISC":[],"sortByZip":false,"buyerEnteredZip":null}&page=6806&query=*&displayStr=Search Results for: Ram&viewedLot=41474217&fromSearch=true

I have looked into wrecked Prowlers to resurrect (I've always wanted one). The problem is the salvage title may never be able to be registered for use on public roads in NY with that salvage VIN. A non-SRT VIN may not fly at state registration/inspection time. Look into this potential issue first.

4. GM1988

GM1988 New Member

I've looking into it but I'm going to do is what my dad just told me is to do is to switch out front end bumper and back. Also lowering it and get the SRT replica wheels. That's a better plan. But the restoring a wrecked SRT are in the plans

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Lowering a suspension must be done right or else wheel/drivetrain alignment and overall handling can suffer. You don't want to introduce a dangerous emergency handling situation on a public highway. It may be a nuisance eating tires and u-joints.
    It should be more than just a lowering spring kit. Everything lowers.

6. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

IF you choose to go with a bigger spring manufacturer, they can tell you if you can use stock suspension components and if they offer modified/corrected parts for that particular vehicle. I know Eibach for example tells you if the kit was tested with stock components.

ImperialCrown likes this.