AF: Grand Wagoneer better hurry....... | Page 26 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Wagoneer better hurry.......

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Apr 7, 2019.

1. K-9

K-9 Well-Known Member

I couldn't really put my finger on why the exterior was not resonating with me. I had to look at an older one to sort of figure it out. I think, for me, it's because the D-Pillar doesn't 'sweep forward' like the older model. In addition, the older model looks like it is taller than the concept.

2. LordHobbit

LordHobbit Active Member

Having the B and C pillars in black really improves the look. thanks suzq and Ryan

3. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

They really did go with the Grand Commander D pillar style.

I don't think these are meant to ever leave the pavement.

4. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

One change I'd make would be to cover the window pillars in a high-gloss trim piece, but one that has a very subtle woodgrain visible when you get up close to it.

tlc and Ryan like this.
  5. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Maybe that's the issue, it doesn't feel long like a wagon, but stubby like an xj.

It's missing.. soul, I think. At least from behind the a pillar back, on the body.

Sorry, but this concept doesn't say any of those things to me..

Screenshot_2020-09-03-13-39-12.png

#505 suzq044, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Zagnut27, ScramFan and K-9 like this.
  6. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

Looks like a mashup of previous generations Navigators to me. I agree with those who have said it has a nice interior and a bland vanilla exterior. They did the same thing with the DT Ram on which this is based.
    The grill is way too small for the size of the vehicle. I sure hope the new Grand Cherokee doesn't take on this same front end styling.

page2171 and valiant67 like this.
  7. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

TFL has a video on the Grand Wagoneer "concept." It includes a couple of shorts excerpts of an interview they did of Ralph Gilles.

8. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

That #4 one! I'd buy that one in a heartbeat.

9. SRTBrandon

SRTBrandon Well-Known Member

I'm not in the market for this, but was excited to see the reveal. The original Wagoneer has an almost mythical status, so I expected an evolution of the last generation (like what's been done with the Wrangler), even if it hasn't been produced in 30 years. Like others have said, the interior looks great, but the exterior proportions make it look bloated. I know there are so many more safety considerations now which make the original design impossible to replicate, but it seems like they could have done a better job.

jeep-grand-wagoneer-concept-115-1598973501.jpg
    woodgrainkits-marine-010_920x.jpg

wvutuba, HotCarNut and K-9 like this.
  10. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

[​IMG]

I like this with the blacked out pillars....

12soldier, XRT2SRT and suzq044 like this.
  11. Powdered Toast Man

I guess I'm not sure what we were expecting. Every SUV that's based on a BoF truck looks like... well, a truck. The Navigator looks like a truck. The Escalade looks like a truck. Denali looks like a truck. Wagoneer looks like a truck.

This kinda feels like what Chrysler tried (and failed) to do with the Aspen back in the 00's.

Styling wise it takes a lot of cues from the Chinese Grand Commander. I'd expect the rest of the Jeep line to be headed in this direction with upcoming models and refreshes.

Tony K likes this.
  12. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I don't know why everyone keeps saying it will have the 3.6 engine...

13. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

It sure looks better in a color other than white.

14. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

Why did this happen, why was this trial ballon unleashed so close to the real thing.
    I'd likely like it better had i never seen the Chinese Commander.
    I like the interior, and accents/trims on the exterior.
    Not sure about the overall exterior design. i feel like its a watered down version of what was an original good design.
    Not sure the exterior compares with the Cadillac or Lincoln competition.
    Don't really feel like the designers raised the bar or got to creative.

My .02 from the other thread.

15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Thanks for sharing that, I hope at least some of that makes it to production too and on the lower trims...cause you know, I gots me 2 kids to put through college. At the same time. Lol.

I just showed pics to my wife, and like me, she wasn’t enthused with the exterior. However, when she saw the interior she said “bump that exterior, that interior is gorgeous. I want this!” :p

So, as I said, please ignore anything I said before the boss weighed in. :D

Tony K, Morty, tlc and 2 others like this.
  16. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Well-Known Member

This is too big for my taste, but I don’t want anything larger then my CRV. I have not decided if I like the exterior styling or not. According to “Car and Driver”, this was the swb version which goes into production first and that both the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer will eventually be available in both swb and lwb. Wagoneer would compete against Chevy Tahoe/Suburban, GMC Yukon/Yukon XL, Ford Navigator/ Navigator L. Grand Wagoneer vs Cadillac Escalade/Escalade ESV, Lincoln Navigator/Navigator Max, Range Rover etc.

17. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

The FCA interior team are on top of their game as usual.
    Unfortunately IMO the usual FCA exterior team also showed.
    Eliminate the fancy backlit trims and grill and the exterior design is bland.
    Not the glass house or halo vehicle it was supposed to be.

page2171 likes this.
  18. Powdered Toast Man

Given the price points they states are USD, after the conversion and the markup for the Canadian market one of these will definitely be second mortgage territory.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  19. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Ryan, I really don't think it'll be that. A Durango built off the new GC would fit the mold the Dodge powers have created for it. A bof truck based SUV doesn't, and the Ram brand has never had one. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm just reading the tea leaves differently.

20. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

I like that last two-tone rendering except for the rear window. I really think mimicking the line/trailing edge shape of the 2nd row window would be the way to go given the shape of the D-pillar.

The interior on this thing is amazing. The lights above the grill, IMO, are awkward and screws up the front end. I'd really like to see the grill "lengthened" up into that space. Right now it has a frumpy unibrow appearance.