AF: Grand Wagoneer better hurry....... | Page 34 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Wagoneer better hurry.......

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Apr 7, 2019.

1. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Camel. The actual quote is “A camel is a horse designed by committee.”
    A zebra would just be a bad paint job!

2. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Eh, to a degree, it was a bad paint job..

Tony K likes this.
  3. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Well-Known Member

Before I go any further, let me just say that I personally like the idea of a split tailgate or retractable-window hatch. It provides far more utility than a conventional one-piece liftgate hatch.

Having said that, it's my understanding that such hardware introduces NVH issues, potential reliability issues, and aesthetic concerns. I can definitely see FCA consciously deciding to avoid all of that (and any long-term warranty costs) by simply going with a conventional hatch.

I mean yes, it is possible for a company to bring forth such a design that is well-executed and reliable. But is FCA really that company at this point in their history? Frankly, I think that going with a conventional hatch just improved their future JD Power scores a little...

4. ScramFan

ScramFan Well-Known Member

To me, the concept appeared to have a split rear hatch.

5. suzq044

This is a high end vehicle, I think it would go a long way towards sating the wagoneer purists. The cut lines are already there.

6. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, what do competing vehicles have in terms of the rear hatch? Navigator, Escalade, QX80, etc? I honestly don't know, I don't pay a lot of attention to this segment. But I would think that with a vehicle this big, a split tailgate is almost a necessity.

My own car (Mitsubishi Outlander) is one that evolved from a split tailgate to a conventional liftgate. Same platform, but the last heavy refresh (2008 I believe) changed the squared-off back end with split tailgate to the rounder, sleeker version they have now. I liked the idea of the split tailgate, but it's my understanding that they axed it due to NVH and weight issues (which are pretty important factors, admittedly).

7. suzq044

A quick googling gives me that they all have a lift-gate.

tlc and Mr. Fusion like this.
  8. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

They were able to pull off a split swing door/lifting window on the original Liberty okay. I never had any trouble with that part of the vehicle on mine. So, I wouldn't think an original Wagoneer style split lift gate should be an issue on a vehicle that's supposedly in this price range. Heck, it would be a differentiating feature on an otherwise fairly generic vehicle (for its class, I mean).

valiant67 and suzq044 like this.
  9. falconma

falconma Active Member

BMW X7, Range Rovers, and Lexus LX570/Toyota land cruiser are probably the closest competitors with split tailgates. Would love if it had this feature.

Tony K, suzq044 and ScramFan like this.
  10. wvutuba

wvutuba Well-Known Member

Or a sticker package disguised as a new trim level.

freshforged likes this.
  11. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

Could The Jeep® Grand Wagoneer Tow Beyond 10,000 LBS? - Mopar Insiders
    I though we are getting QD3 :). Hope they added more enhancement to the current QD2.

UN4GTBL likes this.