AF: Grand Wagoneer better hurry....... | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Wagoneer better hurry.......

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by CDJSalesPro, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

She needs to spend some time behind the wheel in both.
    My wife found the Durango much easier to park and drive than the last FWD Explorer.
    The new one is probably similar...wider and hard to judge the width from behind the wheel.

2. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

It gets "antique" status soon, right? :D

HotCarNut and Zagnut27 like this.
  3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Maybe...but with all the recalls and free parts over the years, especially the front suspension, half of the vehicle may not achieve antique status for a few more years. :p

4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I haven’t driven the current Explorer (never cared to) but I’ve heard the same complaints as you mentioned. Supposedly the new one has addressed many of the faults of the current model. We’ll see, but it’ll be me getting the seat time behind the wheel and I’ll decide which one I like best and/or I think she can handle the best. It’s not that I don’t want her to test drive them...it’s that I know she’ll make me be the one to choose and then I’ll have to hear about it later if I didn’t choose “wisely”. Lol. After 17 years of being together, I have at least a loose grasp of how this game works. :D

But back (somewhat) on topic...if a 3-row Grand Cherokee-based Jeep were available, it would be a no brainer for me, and I wouldn’t be entertaining any other options.

HotCarNut likes this.
  5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

You can already build and price a 2020 Explorer so at least you'll know how much you'll be paying.
    A 3 row grand Cherokee remains a mythical beast.

Bajanbuoy and Zagnut27 like this.
  6. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

BYO's are a good hope generator these days too. Too bad fca's suck.

7. Chase300

Note, a neighbor had a '13 Explorer limited which they traded in on a left over '17 JGC limited early in '18. I asked how they like it, and they both said they prefer the Jeep. They had several QC issues with the Ford, worse being a lost of the radiator stranding his wife downtown Atlanta. They have 2 kids and have not missed the 3rd row or noticed any real reduction in cargo capacity.

Are you sure you need 3 rows as you've been rocking a Liberty?

VoiceOfReason and Zagnut27 like this.
  8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

That’s a question we've been considering for a while now, and though we’ve been getting by with the vehicles we have (Liberty, Encore, and Mustang), we definitely want the third row. Without one, there have been quite a few instances where we really needed it and really missed not having it. I absolutely would love a JGC, but I just don’t see how it could work. At this point, we’d rather have too much room than too little.

Just a couple of examples, but our car seats pretty much take up the whole second row so we can’t fit another person. We would like to be able to fit my wife’s sisters, or our great nephew. My sister-in-law has a daughter with cerebral palsy, and she travels with a non-motorized wheelchair and supply bags...which her Traverse swallows without much trouble, so we can see the possibilities there...though we’d get a Traverse over my dead body. :p A good litmus test will be a vehicle that can carry the two car seats, plus our coffin-sized luggage, plus a couple of extra people...we’ll see how all of that works when it’s shopping time. :D

We’ll see though, Durango will definitely get a fair chance, the fight ain’t over till the last bullet is fired. :)

#68 Zagnut27, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    HotCarNut and Mr. Fusion like this.
  9. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I meant HYPE. Stupid phone. Lol

Tony K, Zagnut27 and Ryan like this.
  10. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

That clears things up. Was trying to figure out how they gave you hope lol

Tony K and suzq044 like this.
  11. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I suppose hype can generate hope. :)

suzq044 and GasAxe like this.
  12. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

Say it again for the people in the back!

Very different is an understatement. Come build one. You'll definitely see how different that beast is!

page2171, suzq044, Ryan and 2 others like this.
  13. Chase300

I don't notice that much difference between 2wd Durango's (R/T excluded) and JGC's other than the JGC has nicer trimmings inside. I don't notice much driving difference or ride.
    However, a Durango R/T is considerably different...even from other Durango's even if they have a Hemi like the R/T.
    The Durango R/T is a standout performance wise.

SRT's are well...SRT's!

14. Donte Lindsey

Donte Lindsey Active Member

Maybe the lx based crossover that is supposed to replace the 300 will give this a run for its money!

15. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

What makes you think that? If it was Alfa or Maserati sure. Chrysler or in this case (300 replacement) more then likely dodge would not be anywhere close

16. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

The problem is the Durango just doesn't have the same class as the JGC. I like the Durango, but it looks and feels cheaper than Jeep. My wife doesn't like it. But the JGC is not quite big enough. Durango is the perfect size. We need that size but with the more luxurious Jeep feel. We may not be able to hold out and may have to buy the JGC.

HotCarNut and valiant67 like this.
  17. TripleT

TripleT Well-Known Member

Its doesn't feel cheaper than a Grand Cherokee especially the Citadel which I own. It feels every bit as solid and nice as a Grand Cherokee. And in fact my wife says what you just said about the Jeep. "That it not as classy as the Citadel and looks wrong" we don't need a third row anymore so I am making the opposite argument. I want the Jeep next..... Its the Model that buy within the line. A Limited Jeep is not as nice as her Citadel.... Its just not. The Point is between Jeep with a Dodge grill and instrument cluster... is far more Jeep the something wearing a BLUE OVAL. No it not as capable as JGC because the 3rd row.... be careful with the New Jeep it will either be less capable or the 3rd row will be less useful.

JKU12 and T_690 like this.
  18. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

We are comparing Durango Citadel with JGC Overland. I like the capability of Jeep better especially for our Tahoe explorations. But we could get by with my Wrangler. Durango size is nicer. I just felt the Overland was nicer than the Citadel, both interior and exterior look and feel. We'll take another look at Durango.

valiant67 and HotCarNut like this.
  19. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

That's why we bought an Overland and not the Limited the first time around. Now we own a JGC Trailhawk. ;)

Zagnut27, TripleT and JKU12 like this.
  20. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

And I'm less concerned with the 3rd row, but more interested in the extra cargo space. With two munchkins and a lot of hiking/camping/skiing gear, my Wranglear and Liberty are at their max, and that's with a storage trunk on the hitch and a rack on top

TripleT likes this.