AF: Grand Wagoneer better hurry....... | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Wagoneer better hurry.......

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Because there hasn’t been a 3-row Jeep since Commander went the way of the Dodo, I would’ve liked to have seen a more off-road oriented package for Durango. I know it doesn’t really fit Dodge’s brand image, but it might’ve been cool to see. The body isn’t necessarily ideal for off-roading...hey...it’s just a passing thought. Lol.

2. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

They used to offer more off roady options, but those went away the past couple years.

3. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Commander rear seat wasn't a rear seat. A Journey 3rd row is more comfortable. Wonder what for the GC works on the Durango.

ScramFan likes this.
  4. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Ok, I was totally impress with the Kia Telluride over any others in this segment. Something that FCA should take a close look at.

badgerbeerman likes this.
  5. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

Gotta agree with this, I watched the Alex on Autos review and it blows away the CUV competition in its price range. However, I personally would not cross-shop this with a Jeep (if I'm looking for Jeep capability, then I'm not going to find it someplace else).

But mainstream choices, especially Pilot, Highlander, and Ascent, seem completely inadequate when compared to the Telluride. The only ones I would bother comparing it with are the Mazda CX9, and the Durango Citadel. And if I had a bit more money to spend, I would definitely look at Lincoln Aviator.

By the way @JKU12 , the aforementioned Alex on Autos purchased a Durango Citadel Hemi for himself, maybe his video will help with your decision. (This is not the full review of the Durango, although he also did one of those.)

wtxiceman and JKU12 like this.
  6. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

The Telluride has a standout interior IMO, it looks much more upscale than its price and if Kia puts their twin-turbo mill in it, they will make some real noise.
    Where the Durango still leads is in towing capacity which is what I was looking for when I was shopping and I believe Alex pointed this out as well. Everyone else is at 5,000 unless you move up to Full Size Tahoe or Expedition. Durango can nearly match the Expedition and beats the Tahoe if you opt for the SRT version.

page2171, Mr. Fusion and suzq044 like this.
  7. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Quick question about Durango..., is the Durango AWD in the Hemi RWD biased under normal driving conditions? I'm assuming, yes?

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It sure feels like it. There’s no display to show where it’s sending power (like on my Mom’s Escape) and the front wheels are never totally disconnected like in the L cars. More importantly, I’d never buy one without the low range if traction is important. With the crap stick tires, my AWD R/T sometimes would not move on an incline of mud or snow until I put it in low.

Edit: answer is here:
    2014-2017 Dodge Durango: Eight-Speed Hemi-Powered SUV (at https://www.allpar.com/SUVs/dodge/durango-14.html )

9. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I looked there, all it said was "The Hemi-powered AWD Durango has a low-range MP3022 transfer case with a neutral position, for light off-road use, or to aid in moving a boat or trailer; the neutral position eases Durango-towing. The transfer case has a 2.72:1 low-range ratio, and a variable torque split. 20-inch wheels are optional"

Seems like the Hemi has the MP3022, which I believe is Selec-Trac II? Which is what I have in my Liberty KK, however that has a 2WD mode that is 100% RWD and then 4WD auto and 4WD low modes. In that, I think the 4WD auto is 50/50 biased. The Durango appears to always be in AWD (e.g. 4WD auto) mode, so i'm wondering if it's always 50/50, or if it's closer to RWD unless wheel slippage is detected. Can't quite seem to find the answer.

10. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

If you put it in low does it lock the diff in the t-case?

11. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Here is the info from the owner's manual:
    AWD Auto All-Wheel Drive Auto Range – This range sends power to the rear wheels. The all-wheel drive system will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses a loss of traction. Additional traction for varying road conditions.
    LOW Range All-Wheel Drive Low Range – This range provides low speed all-wheel drive. Locks the front and rear driveshafts together forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. Additional traction and maximum pulling power for loose, slippery road surfaces only. Do not exceed 25 mph (40 km/h).

12. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

Loss two deals this month tho a damn VW Atlas........[​IMG]

and the 2020 Explorer aint no joke

[​IMG]

13. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

I'm curious what you think of the atlas cross sport. It's a slightly shorter atlas and going to 2 rows instead of 3. This this might end up hurting teh grand cherokee then also?
    [​IMG]

14. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Tell me when you lose it to Lincoln.

ScramFan likes this.
  15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Considering that Jeep has more mainstream versions of all of its models (except JL & JT), Grand Cherokee sales could be lost to any CUV/SUV of similar size & pricing. Likewise, sales could be gained in comparison to those other vehicles as well. Unless someone truly wants the off-road capability of the more off-road oriented (Trailhawk) models of course.

16. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Now I will for once complain about interiors. But not Mopar’s. The Jeep GC is a lot nicer inside IMHO than the hard plastics in the Atlas. Reminds me of my 2009 Journey...
    The Koreans do execute well on their cars these days. But not enough to let me abandon our domestics. Someone has to still buy them....

UN4GTBL and serpens like this.
  17. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

The Explorer isn't getting great press so far. I see in a couple comparo's to the Kia, the Kia trounced it on all fronts.
    It seems Ford didn't really move the interior upscale much if at all from the last gen Explorer.

HotCarNut and UN4GTBL like this.
  18. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

They really didn’t. And the Atlas doesn’t have great interior materials either.

19. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

They did remember to stick an Ipad on top of the dash.o_O

UN4GTBL and Chase300 like this.
  20. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Are these made in the US? My old boss in Germany ordered one, waited 4 months, and ended up getting his money back to buy a Mercedes, because apparently there was an issue with the order or production or something holding it up. I'm sure his wife didn't mind getting the Mercedes, since she's a Stuttgart native.

I'll have to relay that to my old boss. VW did him a favor not delivering his Atlas, so his wife won't be complaining about a shabby interior.