AF: Grand Wagoneer/next Durango/JGC | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Wagoneer/next Durango/JGC

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by SUNBURNTsnype, May 2, 2014.

1. SUNBURNTsnype

SUNBURNTsnype Active Member

Any news or inside info on the Grand Wagoneer, next gen Durango/JGC?

Are we gonna see an Ecodiesel, 6.4 truck or SRT motor option in it?

Will it be priced out of reach of the 'average joe' in order to try and compete with Caddy?

Will it have a long wheel base/short wheel base variant like the suburban/Tahoe derivatives?

Will the next gen Durango be the "street machine" version of the platform with the Grand Wagoneer being the "off-road" version; or will they be two entirely different vehicles?

How soon till we start seeing mules and concepts of anything in testing for the Grand Wagoneer?

2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

From what I've heard is Grand Wagoneer will be mechanically the same as Grand Cherokee. Grand Wagoneer will get 6.4L version of the truck motor. Durango will stay, being the more affordable three row version. Will still have simple AWD systems and be more of a street machine while Jeeps focus on the off-road and luxury aspects.

GasAxe and UN4GTBL like this.
  3. Hemi 265

Hemi 265 Well-Known Member

So at this stage is the Durango expected to stay?

4. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Do you start a new thread on this monthly? :lol:

Mike

suzq044 likes this.
  5. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

From what I have heard... like the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger... the Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Wagoneer will go after two different niche markets.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  6. longlivechrysler

longlivechrysler The Negative Optimist

Thank goodness they're keeping the Durango around. Its one of the best looking SUV(ish)s out there.

7. Hemi 265

Hemi 265 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I am glad that is the case. The Grand Cherokee is a hot seller here in Australia and wish we had the Durango too. I think it too could be a good seller as people seem to be aware of it here and that the only complaint that comes about the GC is that it's not a seven seater.I would have one if i could.
    Only seen it on the net but looks hot to me.

8. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Right, and Grand Wagoneer will be priced above the GC and Durango.

Mike

redriderbob likes this.
  9. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine them getting rid of it. It's YTD sales are up considerably (15%) and it's the best looking SUV out there. I like it a lot. Now just add the diesel and an SRT version. SRT does not have a 7 passenger car.
    I teach Special Education in La Porte ISD and I see a couple of new Durango R/Ts everyday at parent drop off. They look outstanding.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  10. AHHA

AHHA Active Member

If Durango is staying around, Chrysler is going to need to expand production to another plant. I've heard Grand Wagoneer was going to SHAP, but was put on the back burner. Also looks like we won't see all three until 2017-18 now too.

11. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

It would not be cost effective to build that platform at another plant. Too much in logistics, tooling training, etc., etc.
    Jefferson once built 100,000 more units per year than they build now. Workers there tell us that they are taxed to the limit, so more workers might be the answer.
    To move production to another plant means they need another 100,000 sales at the new plant, from that platform. Don't see it unless that platform also shares with a lifestyle truck, Jeep or another CUV.

12. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

JNAP used to run 24 hours a day back then. The issue isn't employees. We actually have more now than we have ever had.

13. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Thanks, I thought you were already running 3 shifts?
    Only two?

14. Longtimejeep

Longtimejeep Well-Known Member

3 shifts but only 20 hours a day. In the old days ran around the clock.
    Warren Truck is changing from 3-2-120 to traditional 3 shifts in June. Rumors are that JNAP won't be that far behind.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

Bring it. I'm tired of flip flopping. This is by choice though because I'm not working every Friday and Saturday night.

16. SUNBURNTsnype

SUNBURNTsnype Active Member

Haha yeah I know it seems like it. Although it's been a few months this time around since I heard anything. All you guys get excited about the Challys and chargers, but being that we got a whole brood to haul around, I gotta get exited about the people movers...which is why I'm always askin about an SRT 3 row vehicle, as it'd be the only way I could have my cake and eat it too.

Gotta be able to lay 11's down on the road all the way from the house to the grocery store, soccer practice and back, ya know!

17. MoparMantis

MoparMantis Well-Known Member

The 6.4 huh? I've been thinking a Grand Wagoneer with a 3.0 could be a replacement for my current Durango. If the 6.4 is an option I'll have to weigh the grin factor against the fuel savings factor. I never figured they'd put the 6.4 in it, but that would be a good way to share costs. Life's tough choices (potentially).

18. chfjim

Level III Supporter

If they put the 6.4 in it will the tow rating be greater than 9k? Hopefully 10+!

19. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

why would it have a high tow rating cause it has the 6.4?? this would be more like a IUV... (Image Utility Vehicle), sorry this is not ment to be a work truck. over 5000lbs is ridiculous. want more towing capability?? head over to the Ram showroom. the 3.0 would be only use full for Higher Millage.

GasAxe likes this.
  20. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

It's awful small for such a large rating. Additionally the suspension is light duty, for a good pavement ride. Upping the tow rating with independent suspension means a very stiff ride, or a different type of air bag system.
    Not sure I'd want to tow that much with a WK. Not sure the transmission is up to the task.