AF: Handy's PT Cruiser Convertible Adventures! | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handy's PT Cruiser Convertible Adventures!

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Handy_Cruiser, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Handy_Cruiser

Level 2 Supporter

I am starting this thread to post stuff related to my PT Cruiser. There will be PT Cruiser projects, trips, observations and some practical stuff as well that will related to many PT Cruisers.

It should be noted that while I am an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech and an excellent lover, I primarily work as a Safety Engineer among other things and I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, I mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, I enjoy working on these funny looking little cars for fun and relaxation. And I help others when I can. So take what I say for what it's worth. o_O

421 SD Poncho and dodgeismycar like this.
  2. Handy_Cruiser

Level 2 Supporter

Last evening it was time for romantic cruise in my PT Cruiser with my sweetie (wife of around 30 years). We went to Little Rock so my sweetie could grab some stuff from her work downtown.

Vert21Sep2019_01.jpg

On the way, we stopped and this young ladies house that we've helped ever since her dad died. She had lost her keys and could not find them. So she was locked out of her car and we looking at a $200 locksmith bill that I would likely have to pay. Luckily, after digging through her house, we found them. Her Malibu uses a Sentry key like most PT Cruisers. I know a "hack" so she can use regular keys. I'm going to have to fix her car this way and make her some extra sets of keys. I'm going to keep one of those myself. Like many Millennials, she's kind of air-headed at times and will likely lose her keys again.

[​IMG]

When we went to leave the young lady's house, my check engine light was on! :eek: It was the dreaded P0340 code which is a bad cam shaft sensor. :(

We went ahead and headed out to downtown Little Rock but my little PT eventually goes in "Limp Home Mode". And of course, we are in the worst part of town. It's after 8:00 pm and with COVID-19 hours, the only parts stores open are Autozone. My sweetie finds the nearest one on her phone and we head that way. Or at least we do until I realize where Google Maps was taking us. :oops:

Vert14June2020_04.jpg

I'm all about folks having their say and all. But this is not where you want to take a PT Cruiser in Limp Mode. So we turned around. You can be across Little Rock in five minutes even at 2500 rpm's or less. So that's what I did. We ended up at Autozone in west Little Rock where folks aren't as mad about current events. And there i got a cheap cam position sensor $16.99. My veteran's discount was just enough to cover the sales tax. Eventually, I will replace this cheap sensor with a good Mopar sensor. and I will keep this one as a backup.

Vert14June2020_03.jpg

Just, and I mean "just", as I got the sensor installed, it began to rain. Not what you want with the top down on a convertible. But obviously, the Lord was holding back the rain long enough for me to finish that job under the hood. I get all kinds of good blessings like that which I do not deserve. So I will not complain.

Vert14June2020_01.jpg

It finally stopped raining while I was waiting for my sweetie to get her stuff for work.
    Vert14June2020_02.jpg

So we were able to pop the top and cruise back toward home. It did start raining on us again. But my sweetie is always up for an adventure. That's why she started dating me 40 years ago. Sometimes, it's good that things don't change.

Carla13June2020_01b.jpg

#2 Handy_Cruiser, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    421 SD Poncho and dodgeismycar like this.
  3. 421 SD Poncho

421 SD Poncho Active Member

Your vert is a CRUISER if I ever saw one.

By the way, I keep a cam sensor in my PTS storage area. Also two more in the shop at home. They are all oem.

Jerry

4. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Nice story.. Pictures .. Very good example of a great post..

5. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Sooooo, what you're telling us is that you dated your wife for almost 10 years before deciding she was "the one" and got married, Todd? LOL Just busting your chops, buddy. Glad to know that you had a safe trip and thank God for Autozone being open at night, right?

6. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Especially how far it's come compared to what it looked like when he bought it :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 06PTElectricBlue

Todd,

I was kind of wondering the same thing. After all the PT's you've owned and serviced, and I'm sure you're read countless stories from other members on PTCL and the dreaded P0340 code, inquiring minds would like to know how you got caught off guard without an extra cam sensor already in your vehicle as a spare, just for such occasions as this? :eek::p:rolleyes:o_O:p:D

And also, was the one that failed OEM or after-market?

Although others will argue otherwise, my PT only likes OEM items, particularly sensors. :)

8. Handy_Cruiser

Level 2 Supporter

Hey Rick,

The one that failed was a Mopar 5293196AA. There were a bunch of different OEM Mopar part numbers for these such as 4671011, 4882851, 5269559, 5269705, 47810705AB, 4882851AA, 4882851AB, 5093508AA, 5269705AB, 5293196AA and likely others. For my specific PT, 5093508AA is one of the most common and that's what I've ordered online as the permanent replacement.

I don't know the history of the specific cam position sensor that was on the car. This is kind of the story with any used car that you buy. You just don't know the history until you've changed it out yourself. The girl I bought the car from said that her friends that run a daycare and originally owned this PT had the headgasket and turbo replaced about a year before she sold it to me. Upon inspection, I found what I believed to be a new headgasket edge, new timing belt and components, and a new radiator fan which I is almost always the reason for blown head gaskets on PT's. The turbo also looks very clean, but who knows? Besides the issues with my last custom PCM, the engine has always ran like a clock. Like I said when I bought the car, it looked rough but seemed to have very "good bones". I've replaced some non-OEM fastener likely lost during the earlier headgasket job and I've replaced the oil sending unit, ignition wires/plugs and most of the PCV system. I also replaced the injector rail that had a small leak in it. And I added a BOV.

I guess I should have assumed the cam sensor was a factory original or a salvage sensor due to being an alternate part number. But since all the other engine work had been done, I didn't know. ;)

#8 Handy_Cruiser, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  9. Handy_Cruiser

Level 2 Supporter

Here's an interesting detail. My new Mopar camshaft position sensor arrived today. The one that failed was a Mopar 5293196AA. For my specific PT, 5093508AA is one of the most common and that's what I ordered as the permanent replacement. As you can see in the photo below. The new one has 5093508AA on the package. But the actual part itself has 5293196AA on it and appears identical to the original one. I suspect that 5093508AA is the version originally made in Mexico and 5293196AA it the newer part number when Daimler-Chrysler switched production to China. But you never know. o_O

VertCamSensor20June2020_01.jpg

10. 06PTElectricBlue

I just checked the one that I replaced on my PT several years ago and found the same thing, bag marked with one part # but the actual part is a different #. ;)

And the old one that I removed was the older part # 5093508AA. ;)

But I haven't had any issues with the alternate part # item, it was installed 07/15, along with a new magnet and I have about 55,000+ miles on those parts. :)

#10 06PTElectricBlue, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  11. 421 SD Poncho

If I have to replace the sensor on the road, I will do it and then when I get home I will pull it and replace the magnet with a new one. Then I put the new sensor back on. I've only had to do that once so far on my PT.

Twice over the years I've gotten new customers because they replaced their own sensor and it was only working intermittently. I replaced the magnet and put their new sensor back on and it worked fine.

Jerry

#11 421 SD Poncho, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Handy_Cruiser likes this.
  12. 421 SD Poncho

I am to be likingk your dash with the yellow accents around the gauges;):cool:

upload_2020-6-22_23-11-48.png

Jerry

13. 06PTElectricBlue

I said it in another post somewhere, but Todd has some other yellow and SUPERBEE accents on his 'vert. I bet you could design a very cool looking yellow SUPERBEE themed shift knob that would look great in his 'vert :cool:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Doctorona

Doctorona Member

Wow.. that was a great story!.. Especially going into limp home mode at the wrong place/time, hahaha..

Now you've got me thinking..
    Should I get a spare cam position sensor?
    Is it that common for this to happen?
    Is this a simple roadside unbolt/bolt in procedure?

Thanks again for the story..

15. Doctorona

Doctorona Member

Just watched a Youtube video... seems easy enough.

16. Handy_Cruiser

Level 2 Supporter

I've owned three PT Cruisers. All three needed a new cam sensor at some point. Changing it is very easy on a non-turbo PT and only slightly harder on a turbo model because the return air pipe from the intertcooler is in the way. In either case, all you need is an 8mm socket, 4 to 6 inch extension and 1/4-drive ratchet. You can do it with only an 8mm end wrench. But the socket, extension and racket are faster and easier. If you have the stock air filter, you may need to pull out the air filter box. A flat head screwdriver is needed to loosen the hose clamp. If you have a cold air intake like I do, there is usually plenty of room without removing anything.

17. Henrydcc

Henrydcc Active Member

Here enjoying my daughter's graduation. The PT filled me with balloons and crayolla.

Attached Files:

18. Handy_Cruiser

Level 2 Supporter

19. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Awesome.. my son took my truck to grad parade but no one has sent me pics of it .. I was at work

20. 06PTElectricBlue

Remember, pics or it didn't happen :D

Or, there are no pics because your son wasn't supposed to take your truck o_O:rolleyes::p:D