Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy Grand Cherokee Owners?

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by chuzz, Aug 30, 2017.

1. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Okay Guys, I have a buddy from childhood that's been a bowtie man most of his adult life and is looking for another suv. He bought a blue oval Exploder last year with the infamous 4.0 v-6 with the front and rear timing chains. HE DIDN'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT HE WAS GETTING INTO. Now, here he is with a vehicle that's KBB valued at about $975 and he needs both timing chains replaced. He's in Mobile, AL on a job and says a garage there wants nearly $2,000 for the job with NO WARRANTY. He's fed up with it and is eyeballing a 2012 Grand Cherokee or a 2013 GMC Acadia. He's leaning towards the Jeep, but I don't know if the reliability of it has been stellar. What do you owners of the Grand Cherokees from 2012 to 2015 say about yours? Any and all feedback is appreciated. He was working in ND last year and turned away from the Acadia when a local mechanic there told him the body has to be lifted off in order to replace the timing belt/chain! I've never heard of that. He didn't like the idea, so got the Exploder.

2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

No replies needed. He says after reading about both, he's staying away from the Jeep because most of the problems he saw with it were electrical. He doesn't do anything electrical. Looks like a GMC for him.

3. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

2 time loser...lol

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Sadly that is the reputation Jeep has among mass-market buyers.

I've known a few people, mostly from church, who bough a Jeep Grand Cherokee only to be discouraged from many issues over their ownership. Then they become "never again" for Jeep.

5. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I just told him he's going to have trouble out of the GMC. I read a lot on them and seems there's been frequent transmission problems (wave plate) and even MORE a/c problems. Seems a LOT of them have hoses that, I guess, are not routed properly. They rub through and start leaking. Oh well, that's on him. Personally, I'd have chosen a Jeep with the 3.6 over a GMC any day.

6. blackstratus

blackstratus Well-Known Member

I really don't think I would have bought the Acadia either, I have a friend that now while it is an 09, had the timing chain issue, transmission fail and a whole host of suspension issues and this is all before 60K miles. I am sure there are plenty of good Acadia's, just like there are plenty of good and bad Grand Cherokees, but I really don't think he is getting a superior vehicle in the Acadia. With that said my parents have a 2014 and my uncle has a 2011, both have been trouble free for the most part. The 2011 had a coil fail on number 5 cylinder and that has been it, my parents 2014 had the now seems to be famous 3.6 oil cooler leak and that is it. They are both Overland 3.6 models. It is amazing though the difference in driving the 2011 to the 2014, that is the result of the 8speed auto. Totally changed the driving feel for the better

7. tomit

Ad-Free Member

8. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

I have owned quite a few and for the most part they have been trouble free.My sister has owned 5 in a row,one had over 400K kilometers.Her current 2012 has had no problems.

This is not conjecture or stories from people I know,this is the truth from my immediate family members.It seems all you have is bad stories of FCA product?Do you have ANY good ones?

9. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I can and have posted that I have had good service from my FCA products. If you read my posts you know I've bought several new ones over the past years and had good luck with most of them.

However they are not perfect and I believe on average, you are more likely to have issues with an FCA product. That is confirmed my numerous studies. There was no conjecture in my post. Because I'm known as a car guy, lots of people at church and at work talk to me about their car problems, like the lady with the Grand Cherokee and its numerous electrical problems a few years back. She now has a Kia.

I can't understand why people take it so darned personally when someone points out that these products aren't perfect, and that over many years, even decades, Chrysler hasn't made significant gains vs. the average.

10. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

NO products are perfect..Will you let yourself understand that a lot of us think that FCA products are better than average.From personal experiences we know they are better than average.
    I guess I must get ringers,FCA must know when I buy a product and go over it 3 or 4 times before I get delivery.

11. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Well, I was wrong. He bought the Grand Cherokee. It has a tad over 74,000 miles and appears to be in excellent condition. 3.6 engine. I love it when the right choice gets made. He will be signing up here before long.

12. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I'm glad you've had good luck. I've had two problem FCA products, both were bought back, but one was used so it doesn't really count.

But not every one has had the luck you've had, a problem combined with a bad dealer results in a permanently lost customer. Ask around and you'll soon find plenty of them - some recent some still smarting over A604 minivans.

Despite the wishes, the JD Power numbers aren't pulled from thin air. And JD Power isn't some giant conspiracy to slander FCA. There is a lot of work to be done, some is real and some is perception. But if they can't improve faster than average they will always be basement dwellers.

Doug D likes this.
  13. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I know of one couple that will not touch a FCA product because of A604 issues they had with the Voyager they bought and that was 20 years ago.

14. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

IMO the Arcadia/Traverse is a differant suv then a G Cherokee. The Cherokee is much better off road but if your going stay 98% on the pavement I would go with Traverse, I belive a used one is much cheaper.

15. Richard1

Richard1 Member

I like my 2012 Limited, although electrical problems are the key. It had the no-start problem about the same day they announced the recall (I told the dealer before they were notified). They the alternator/ECU problem that they would not cover since it is 5 years old.

Since most of its miles are on dirt/mud mountain roads, I love how it handles in those conditions, and how fast I can pass a truck when a short wide spot opens up.

But with our 80 octane gas, a bottle of Techron is necessary every 2000 miles, with a double dose recently to clean up the catalytic converter and o2 sensors after the trouble codes came on.