AF: Hardtop Convertible Fail-Sebring 2008 Aussie import. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardtop Convertible Fail-Sebring 2008 Aussie import.

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Mattar63, May 7, 2019.

1. Mattar63

Mattar63 New Member

Hi All,
    Unfortunate that I need help... :-( the wife's car has been faultless...until someone jumped in with the roof down and they bent one end of the rear sill panel. After that it still opened and closed but a push on the rear side was needed to move the boot forward and stop the actuator on the left side trying to push the boot forward. (Left side was the bent bracket). It finally failed on the top down cycle when used once too often!
    I removed the panel, two pins and a few plastic clips was pretty easy. The plastic that was bent straightened surprisingly well with a bit of heat https://photos.app.goo.gl/8FiXHbMuxkKggkia6 . The two U-channel sections, one was bent and the other broken off three of the 5 screws and one nearly off. I took the panel out, drilled and screwed everything back together straightening the bent parts and it fits back in fine.
    Now to the actual problem, clearing any codes, sequence issues or getting the hydraulics to operate and get pressure back to complete the operation cycle where it originally stopped. It now warns Top in Operation then is followed by Convertible Top Malfunction. after it stopped in the top down cycle, the top sagged, hyd. motor etc., and I propped it open while it was worked on and so I could access the panel.
    I'm after any ideas on how to re-sequence this or clear the fault which may let it continue working?
    Any info greatly appreciated!!

Cheers
    Matt

2. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Check the area that had the damaged parts. There are numerous limit switches and sense switches that provide signals to the power top module. Maybe a switch is missing, mislocated, broken wiring and is causing a problem. Look for wiring cables in the affected area. Compare the undamaged side to the damaged side and see if you notice anomalies.

Convertible Top Mechanism.gif

I am sure there are body diagnostic codes stored in the power top module. It would be very helpful if you could retrieve any diagnostic codes associated with the power top mechanism. You will need a more robust scan tool (not just one that reads engine management codes / Pxxxx codes.

Mattar63 likes this.
  3. Mattar63

Mattar63 New Member

Yes that's my next step...I was hoping it all went back together and picked up it's position... Will find out what I can and post. Cheers..Many thanks.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

There is this TechTip on top switches/sensors:

Issue Description:
    Before replacing any of the convertible top micro switches and/or position sensors, please refer to the updated diagnostic tests for your specific DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes). A physical check of the switch (resistance check, does it click, is the lever sticky, is the return spring present) will verify or eliminate that switch as the root cause of the vehicle's concern. RRT 07-025 only applies to vehicles built on or before June 22, 2007.

Before erasing codes, it may be beneficial to find out what, if any codes are stored in the PTCM. There were 2 recalls for early production tops, G29 and G41. If your vehicle is included in the recall, this should be a free service.

Also:
    2008 Sebring convertible top malfunction (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/2008-sebring-convertible-top-malfunction.155611/ )

Mattar63 likes this.