NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anybody upgraded the headlights

Discussion in 'Modern Cherokee (KL)' started by djames255a, Sep 21, 2016.

1. djames255a

djames255a New Member

Has anybody upgraded the headlights or fog lamps on a on 2015 14 okay I don't waste time I send this now Jeep Cherokee the lights are not too bright.

2. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Member

Hello and welcome to the forums.
    As for upgrading the headlamps and or fog lamps, I would suggest taking a look at Daniel Stern's web site about lighting. He has written some very good articles about headlamps. What you can do and what you should not do and some might even be illegal.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

3. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Member

I do know that installing a wiring kit for the headlamps will increase the voltage to the headlamps, which will make them brighter.
    By running the headlamps directly from the battery or charging circuit with heavier gauge wire, 14 or 12 gauge wire versus 20 gauge wire you will have the full voltage of the charging system.

Below is a chart of the voltage loss by using smaller gauge wire which shows the light output
    10.5V : 510 lumens
    11.0V : 597 lumens
    11.5V : 695 lumens
    12.0V : 803 lumens
    12.5V : 923 lumens
    12.8V : 1000 lumens ←Rated output voltage
    13.0V : 1054 lumens
    13.5V : 1198 lumens
    14.0V : 1356 lumens ←Rated life voltage
    14.5V : 1528 lumens

Here is a very good article about how and why to upgrade the wiring for the headlamps.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Dave Z likes this.
  4. pt006

pt006 Member

Be very careful using higher amperage headlights in vehicles with a TIPM system. The electronics might sense an overload [thinking it is a short] and pop the internal circuit breaker.

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Internal 'circuit breaker' or 'fuse' in a TIPM is simply a transistor that turns off or otherwise controls the lighting circuit.
    Is it still under 3/36 warranty? Have you had this back to the dealership yet for an 'insufficient brightness' concern?
    Best to get your concern documented on a repair order, instead of by word of mouth. If they simply say, 'They all do that', tell the service advisor to put that in print on the repair order.

6. LouJC

LouJC Member

I don't think with vehicles as new as the new style Cherokee there are any easy up grades to the lighting system as there were in years past. We have a '98 Grand Cherokee in our family (was mine, I gave it to our son when he turned 18) and the lighting on those was pretty poor. I added a set of European spec headlights (glass lenses and H-4 bulbs) and with a relay harness (from Painless Wiring) the lighting was improved 100%. We also added a set of Hella 450 fogs in the bumper (much better than the weak OE fogs) and a set of Hella long distance lamps on the roof rack. This last one was a project, finding a way to run wires of adequate gauge without making any holes in the roof.
    Jeep roof lights @ night.JPG On the other hand, the lights on my 07 Grand are pretty good, I have not done anything to them, but may change the fog lights as they are weak compared to aftermarket units I have used.

7. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

When I had my Cherokee, I thought those lights were the best non-HID lights I've had on any vehicle.
    Now thew Wrangler - there's a different story.

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

I read that all 2017 KL now have the HID headlamps as standard equipment.

9. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Active Member

Yeah, Latitude (North) and above :)

Apparently optional on the Sport too

ImperialCrown likes this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

I suspect the Dan Stern wiring kit info applies to the XJ, not the KJ. I could be wrong! We did just run a headlight upgrade article.

Upgrading modern car headlights: Chrysler 200 and 300, Dodge Dart, Ram, and Fiat

It deals with the Chrysler 200 and 300, Dodge Dart, Ram, and Fiat 500, 500L, and 500X, not the Cherokee, but you could see if there is some similar alternative bulb that would work - an OEM bulb with greater brightness and the same power output.

PS> You can check the power coming into your headlights with a voltmeter and see if the wire gauge is an issue.

floridaman2013 likes this.