Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlight assembly

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by BigJoeH, Feb 27, 2017.

1. BigJoeH

BigJoeH New Member

I just bought new headlight assemblies because we barely can see the road at night due to the plastic being all scratched up. Does anyone know how to replace them. I appears that you need to place them from the inside of motor compartment. I thank you in advance. BigJeoH

2. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

3. mr2tim

mr2tim Member

Down here in South Florida we have a headlight restoration service located at the big ol flea market out side of Ft Lauderdale. This fellow charges $20 for each side and when you compare this to the replacement cost of both the headlights perhaps this would be a competitive cost? And much, much less hassle for Big Joe too. :)

rockdoc likes this.
  4. 63Signetconvert

There are many headlight restoration kits available today. 15 years ago when these crappy plastic headlights began showing their pitiful life expectancy I began researching the multitude of methods used to restore cloudy headlight lenses. Atone point I even found some guys in Chicago that were doing long term testing on the various methods by restoring headlights and leaving them out in the elements to see how they fared but I lost track of them and don't know if they are still around.

What I found through them and my own research was that the best method for restoring headlight lenses as of 4 or 5 years ago was the 3M sanding and polishing kit and I bought one for my shop. it consisted of several different grits of sanding discs starting at 300, 500, 800, 1000, and 1500 as I recall (although many other grits are available) in the kit I purchased along with two air grinder/polishers and some buffing pads and polishing compound. The key to getting cloudy lenses looking like new is wet sanding the lenses with each grit until the water you wet the lenses with comes off the lense completely clear while sanding before moving on to the next finer grit. Once you get to the finest grit the lenses look pretty clear and then you buff them with the plastic polish and the result is amazing.

I tried several of the spray on/wipe on wipe off methods and they kind of worked but the results were often uneven whereas with the sanding method you can see exactly what you're doing as you go along. Takes longer and is messy but does a much better job in my opinion.

The only thing I didn't like about the 3M kit was that there wasn't any kind of a final product like a wax to protect the lenses once restored. My research revealed some that merely used a good plastic polish periodically, others used a spray on clear coat from a can, and others used a body shop type clear coat applied from a paint gun. We used the paint gun clear coat with good results and tried a couple of other methods that salespeople tried to get us to use but didn't work as well.

The 3M products are available in most real auto parts stores (not Auto Zone or OReilly or Advance) or at auto paint supply stores and aren't too expensive considering the cost of new headlights. An electric drill can do the job although an orbital is better, the sanding discs come in 3" diameter and I think are available in packs of 10, 25, 50, and 100 and you'll want at 4 or 5 grits from coarse to very fine to do a good job. You might as well get big boxes of sanding discs because once you've done your own car you can charge your friends to do theirs and then it won't cost you anything but the time involved for your own. And it is very satisfying to see the change in your headlights, plus the same products can be used to clean up cloudy bug deflectors, aftermarket taillights, and anything else made of plastic or plexiglass, like the dustcover of your turntable if you still play vinyl records.

5. mr2tim

mr2tim Member

Very important to properly mask off your painted fender.

6. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

The Wipe New stuff sold at O'Reilly Auto Parts works pretty good too. I used it on my PT. And it was only $9.99. I sealed them with Meguiars Plast-X two days later and was happy with the improvement.