AF: Headlights off while starting '06 Touring. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlights off while starting '06 Touring.

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Gladiator, other traditional Jeeps' started by XanderMish, Feb 28, 2020.

1. XanderMish

XanderMish New Member

I've checked the manual but can't find anything about turning the headlights OFF while starting the car. The car sits mostly in the winter, but use it occasionally if the other car is in the shop or just to run errands. Since the headlights are a big current draw, the car sometimes barely starts, even with a new battery, due to not driving it much. Wanted to try and keep the headlights off when cranking. Anyone know if this is possible ? Thought about getting a battery tender and leave it hooked up when not in use.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #5 by Doug D, Feb 28, 2020
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

What kind of car?

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

If you are letting it sit for more than 3 weeks, Chrysler (I am assuming it is a Chrysler product of some sort) recommends disengaging the IOD (Ignition Off Draw) fuse. This will keep the battery drain to a minimum if not absolutely none. You may have to reset the clock and radio presets. This recommendation is in the owners manual for my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT.

I assume the vehicle has automatic headlights. Can you turn the switch from auto to off?

Tony K likes this.
  5. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Thanks for this info about the IOD fuse. BTW, I think the newer cars since maybe mid-2000s headlights come on when remote started initially at start regardless, then go into parking light mode until put in gear, unless you manually turn them to on. Don't recall what they do when started manually.

To XanderMish: I've had a similar problem with my Grand Cherokee. In a week's time, it will drain enough power to put a NOCO Genius smart charger into charge mode immediately on connection on a brand new battery. (It's a quick charge on the new battery, mind you, and only has to do it one time.) I don't think that's normal, but I haven't been able to isolate the problem. Doug D's suggestion is giving me ideas now, but I would suggest you go with your thoughts on gettting a battery maintainer regardless, because even the inexpensive ones, if they're made right, are worth their weight in gold. Just make sure you keep an eye on your battery's electrolyte levels, etc. IDK exactly what happened, but I killed a 3 year old NAPA long-life (bulged) last month. Probably froze sitting at the airport in Jan for a week.

6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Our '14 Equinox, which has remote start, only illuminates the parking lights when started remotely. One you insert the key and turn it "on" the headlights turn on if the switch is set to auto. Interestingly, with the Equinox you have to press the lock button the fob, then press and hold the remote start button to start the vehicle remotely. If you just press the start button on the fob it will not start.

7. XanderMish

XanderMish New Member

thankyou that did help!

8. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Interesting, our 2011 Ford Flex will turn on the running lights under a number of conditions (a) unlock door(s) either remotely or with the keypad (b) opening a door (c) anytime the engine is running. Not long after we bought it, we had a major winter storm, I parked it in the garage with the key in the ignition, but turned off. 4 days later the battery was dead. Found out from the local dealer, the key, even the valet key, "wakes up" the electronics as soon as it is inserted in the ignition lock cylinder, maybe Chrysler's systems are the same way. Now if it is in the garage, the key is left out of the cylinder and lying on the console.

On the Flex the auto mode will turn the headlights on with the key if it is dark enough, as it is even with all the lights on in the garage, when I pull it in for any reason, I turn the switch to off.

9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Was there ever a TJ Touring? :rolleyes: