AF: Headliner question | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headliner question

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by saltydog, Sep 25, 2013.

1. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

I am not sure, so here goes: for replceing the headliner, will I need to remove the front and rear windows and rubber gaskets? It seems the headliner is held in by the window gaskets. I have not tried to take out the headliner, as I know once touch its going to fall apart.

Thanks for the imput.

2. chuzz

chuzz Allpar Legacy

Which vehicle are you referring to, Jaime? I just pulled the one out of my Grand Caravan in about 45 minutes. This was working by myself and it was a relatively easy job! If you're talking about your 64 Valiant, I don't have a clue. Sorry bout that!

3. saltydog

Sorry, I should have mentioned its for the Valiant. Oops!

As for the newer Mopars, I have done two mini vans and a dodge aires, not hard at all.

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

There is no reason to pull the windows out. The front and rear edges are held in by shark teeth, jagged metal that the headliner is stretched to and hooked onto.

Volunteer and Citation84 like this.
  5. saltydog

Thank you! That helps me make the plans!

6. 65cudaman

65cudaman Member

Hi...new to the forum.....i have same question for a 65 barracuda...my headliner seam has opened up and local auto trim classic car business indicated both front and rear windows need to be removed to replace headliner. any help or resources would be appreciated.

Citation84 likes this.
  7. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Welcome to allpar, Sarah. In those model years (1964 to 1966), the Barracuda was essentially the same as the Valiant, its main difference being the fastback rear window. What works for saltydog's car should work for yours. You might find another auto trim business that knows Mopars.

8. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

I was told the same thing. Which is ironic since the last time the headliner was done, no removal of the front and rear windows was necessary.

That's why those little trim tools were made, I suspect: to tuck headliners in place.

9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The professional upholstery guys can cut the old headliner out and tuck the new material under the front and rear weather strips.
    My '62 Lark and the Imperial service manual instructions were the same way. Remove the glass. I did have to replace a cracked windshield in the Lark, so I did both at the same time.
    Newer cars use a headliner panel and moldings that don't require glass removal. There are labor saving tricks, but they have to be done right for a neat job.

Citation84 likes this.
  10. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

11. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

Most manuals I've seen say to remove glass, but in the real world you can do an acceptable job by carefully tucking it in. I've done a couple and it worked fine. There is no way I'd remove the glass and fight that battle on an old car!