Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heater dash vent question

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by captn, Nov 24, 2017.

1. captn

captn Active Member

2011 200, Driver side dash vents blow heat and the passenger vents blow cool tepid air.
    I don't see that it's a dual zone vehicle so I'm not quite sure what would cause this,
    any suggestions please.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Chrysler says that a 12°F temperature difference is allowed.
    Has the cabin air filter been serviced recently? Is the coolant level full and the 'radiator' cap holding pressure?

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
    Single Zone Manual HVAC Air Temperature Variation At HVAC Vent Locations.

Discussion:
    Customer may notice that the temperature of the air exiting the HVAC vents varies between center to outboard and/or outboard to outboard on single zone manual HVAC systems. Temperature variation of up to 12°F is acceptable due to the multiple travel distances required to reach each cabin vent.
    Temperature should be taken at the vents with the vehicle inside a controlled environment to avoid outside influences on readings. If a difference of more than 12°F is present additional diagnostics will be required.

A HVAC door actuator calibration can be tried.
    The HVAC and CCN modules can store related fault codes that may be helpful.

3. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Even though your vehicle does NOT have separate blend air temperature controls for driver and passenger, there are 2 doors in the HVAC housing to provide this capability. The doors are linked and synchronized together by one actuator. I suspect that somehow they are now moving independently of each other.

You can gain access to the HVAC temperature blend door actuator. You will probably have to remove some trim panel under the dash, driver side steering wheel area. The temperature blend door actuator is on the left or driver side of the HVAC housing. Remove the electrical actuator and inspect the 2 blend door actuator arms and pivot shafts. They should move in sync together. See attached images.

Temperature Blend Doors Actuator.gif Temperature Blend Doors.gif

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

5. captn

captn Active Member

Thanks Allan, very interesting...
    Quick question, On the 2011, 200 is this actuator assy for sure on the drivers side as I know there are two other actuators behind the glove box. Just trying to get as much info before I end up tearing half the car apart - lol
    The heater core info is interesting also, would a rad flush take care of some of this?
    Many thanks,
    Dave...

6. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

If you have the single control temperature heat blend control (no separation for driver, passenger side) then the temperature blend door actuator is on the driver side of the HVAC assembly. One actuator controls both sides. If you have the dual control temperature blend (separate driver, passenger) then the driver side actuator is on driver side of the HVAC and the passenger side actuator is on the passenger side.

In addition there is a mode door actuator (panel, bi-level, floor, defrost) on the passenger side. The recirculation control actuator is on the far right side under the instrument panel. You have to remove a lower trim panel under the dash but the actuator assembly should be accessible without too much grief.

Since your vehicle is only 5 years old I doubt that the heater core is plugged. It probably would not hurt to do a flush as preventative maintenance. Since manufacturers are installing 5 year / 100,000 - 150,000 mile antifreeze coolant at the factory I would expect at least 5 years coolant life without clogging or sludge buildup. I included that video just as a "heads up" to what potentially can happen with neglected cooling system maintenance.

Doug D likes this.
  7. captn

captn Active Member

Yes, was a great video showing what can happen to a heater core over time, maybe a flushing very 3-4 years is good idea specially if your going to keep the car. I'll pick a nice day and get under the dash and locate the blend actuator and check the blend doors. Wonder what Chrysler's reasoning was to use dual blend doors for single temp control system especially when with the dual system the blend actuator controls are on opposite sides?
    Big thanks for the info....

8. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

The HVAC housing is created from a plastic mold. There are cost efficiencies with having vendor suppliers reduce the number of different parts used in auto assembly. Having one assembly for all models with just some minor, external variances (use 2 synchronized lever arms versus an additional actuator) saves substantial costs when you produce thousands and thousands of models. And do not forget this HVAC housing probably is used on other front wheel drive vehicles. I am sure that all manufacturers use this approach as much as possible to reduce costs.

9. captn

captn Active Member

I thought I would start by checking the air filter behind glove compartment where I saw a video showing a "how to".
    I am a fairly good mechanic but I tend to break plastic things and the YT showed simply the glove box being removed and proceeded to say that if one couldn't remove the glove box maybe one shouldn't be attempting this job. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the glove box. I've tried pulling and pushing the side, pressing the two square tabs at the top and pressed a little type button which just dropped inside.
    Help ?? : -)

10. captn

captn Active Member

OK - When laying on your side it's tough to put equal pressure on both sides of the glove box. So I had to suck it up and tell myself I'm not going to break it, positioned myself and out it popped.