Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heater valve - did i have it ?

Discussion in 'L: Horizon/Omni, Rampage, etc' started by torgtoe, Apr 13, 2015.

1. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

So im finishing my overhaul job soon, and i have started mounting cooling.

The stupid thing i did, i didnt take Pictures and i threw all broken hoses and parts, - this was 2 years ago.

Now i dont even cant remember if i ever had a heater valve.

This is a 1982 Dodge Omni 024, 2.2 carbed.

I noticed that rock auto sells one for 1982, but i cant see how this witl fit, as my waterpump only has one outlet -for the radiator.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Normally, coolant always circulates through the heater core. The temperature blend air door chooses hot, cold or mixed air.
    An exception would be A/C cars where a water valve shuts off heater core coolant flow in the MAX A/C position only.
    156954d1426601095-best-no-leak-heater-control-valve-valve.jpg
    It isn't particularly necessary in temperate climates.

John Wood likes this.
  3. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

Don't have a SM, but if you have AC you should some type of shut off valave. Non-AC equipped cars didn't have one as far as I can remember back then.

4. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

Thanks for answers guys . So - as i dont have A/C i understand i dont Mount the valve?

5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

6. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

So i know you have Daytonas Bob, and so do i.

I have deleted A/C on my turbo Z. Do you think i could delete the heater valve -just to prevent water leaks an clean up engine bay?

7. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Absolutely. The heater valve was only to block coolant flow through the heater core for air-conditioned cars, so that the A/C would not have to work as hard in the maximum setting.

floridaman2013 likes this.
  8. turboomni

turboomni New Member

If you have heat coming into the passenger compartment when you don't want to and do not want to pull the dash to fix it you can add a manual heater control valve. On my 86 Omni Glhs I wanted a larger radiator but didnt want to cut her up to do so ,so I rigged up a heater core from another car up front and routed the lines from the heater core to the new up front heater core with a manual heater control valve.