NewsDoes the Demon stop faster than the Camaro ZL1? • More Waymo Pacificas; public to test • Is this the new Chrysler crossover?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hellcats still selling....

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by CDJSalesPro, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Mallard

Mallard Member

V8's with start getting phased out much, much sooner than 15 years from now. (It's already begun too, but it will really pick up within the next 5 years.)

2. WXman

WXman Member

If my father had the cars back that he owned in his younger days, he'd be rich right now. He just sold his final car, a '69 Camaro Z/28 RS, for $38,000 a couple years ago and the guy who bought it basically stole it. Dad could have gotten a lot more but wanted the money quick. But in the 70s when kids were buying those cars for $1,500 used the thought never crossed their minds that they'd be worth gobs of cash in the future. "If we'd known then, we'd have stored barns full of them."

Now, think about the current muscle car era...in our case it's a different ballgame. What we're being told is that the V8, gasoline combustion engine, human driven, largely mechanical cars of today will be produced no more in another 20 years. So in my mind, IF that happens, which I don't believe it will, but IF that happens, wouldn't today's muscle cars be worth even more? Wouldn't the values increase at a higher percentage for nice specimens?

In the late 1970s, guys thought the days of fun cars were over. Well, for us in the 2010s it may really and truly be over soon. Maybe. Wouldn't that add value to say, a Hellcat Challenger or a Corvette Z06 or a Shelby GT350? The next generation of kids may look at a Challenger Hellcat and have their mind blown.

valiant67 likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

The only thing I see is that the current collector cars (and this goes back to the 1980s and 1990s with cars like the GNX, 454SS, original ZR1, Viper, etc.) are being put away new as "investments" at a much higher rate than the old muscle cars. That almost never happened with the old muscle cars - they were all driven with very few put away when new.

WXman likes this.
  4. Devildodge

Devildodge Member

The Hellcat was made affordable so people would drive it. I am sure it would be a good idea to save one, but 20 years from now when that kid said how this hellcat run, I would rather have some cool stories than to have to say, don't know I stored it and never drove it.

And that said the people who stored muscles car are the same people today. They had the extra coin to buy a car they wouldn't use.

How many things should I have saved...I think of my hot wheels being a child of the late seventies. I played with them all, mom threw them away one day...later showed her what the hot wheels with the red line on the tires were worth...I said it's okay mom, I enjoyed them

UN4GTBL likes this.
  5. Hellcatbroughtmehere

Hellcatbroughtmehere Member

This right here. As the old saying goes nothing intended to be collectible ever will be.

If you want something that will be collectible. Old 7.3L Fords and mechanical injection Cummins Rams with little to no miles in excellent original condition will be a couple. The LT1 Fleetwoods, Roadmaster station wagons, possibly the 96-97 Trans Am WS6s because of there numbers. These are cars that no one thought to hoard. ZR-1s will do ok especially the rare colored ones. I'm still searching for a 93 Quasar Blue one but alas only something like 13 were built. Chevy SS and more so the G8 GXP stands a chance.

The key is to find something that was either overlooked (LT1 wagon or Fleetwood) or did not sell (Chevy SS) that had a lot of character. Find the nicest, lowest mileage, example you can and take care of it!

Bearhawke and Dave Z like this.
  6. Hellcatbroughtmehere

Hellcatbroughtmehere Member

It would add value of these prophecies come true.

However, I don't believe these cars will ever gain huge value based upon the sheer numbers produced and the insane amount that are being intentionally preserved. This was not the case with the old cars. Most classic high value cars of today saw few produced and even fewer preserved. And the market is already taking notice. Look at LT1 94-96 Impala SS'. They are the last real fullsize Impala SS. However, although only an average amount were built far too many were put away with the mind set "these will be worth something someday". Now look at the 94-96 LT1 Fleetwood. The last real Cadillac and almost identical to the SS save for some suspension and obvious cosmetic changes. Fewer were made than Impalas to begin with and very very very few low mileage pristine examples survive today. These cars along with the 94-96 Roadmaster and Caprice wagons are worth far more than equivalent Impala SS right now. It takes a lot of thought before it starts to make sense but a 25k mile Impala is worth 12k give or take. A 25k mile Fleetwood (pristine condition) is worth 18k and a Roadmaster Wagon easily fetches over 20k. I know because I buy and sell them. This is not speculation. It's a fact.

Now don't get me wrong if the V8 dies these cars sold today will hold value over most other cars of the present. I don't don't think anyone will loose their shirt. But, I do not believe in anyway that they will make anyone rich. Also, the cars of today hold their value better now than the old cars did back in the day. A HEMI anythingg selling for $2000 in 1979 is not the same as a 6.1 Challenger in decent shape selling for $20k today.

7. OneGunzo

OneGunzo Member

2009 and 2010 300 srts had tiny production runs. 2009 170? 2010 350?

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Buying for collectivity is an interesting game.

Say you buy a Hellcat now. Oh, there’s a Demon next year. OK. Maybe not a problem. Suppose with no EPA, they do a whole BUNCH of Hellcats in the future, and keep raising the power, and GM and Ford both respond in kind. The Hellcat might end up like the 383 Road Runner — the start of a buildup, not the end.

Now suppose gasoline cars are inevitably going to be demolished by better performing electrics. There are some signs this could be the case in five to ten years, and it takes a lot now to beat the best electrics. Will a Hellcat be valuable in a market where 0-60 in four seconds is considered dismal slow performance, and spending the equivalent of $35,000 2017 dollars buys you something much faster? I am sure it will always have some value, but look at the top performing cars of 1957 — are they getting millions?

Perfectly preserved cars will usually command good prices if there is sentimental attachment, so my answer to myself is “probably, a well preserved Hellcat will command a great price in 30 to 40 years.” That’s 30 to 40 years of storage and preservation. It’s a gamble...

And meanwhile Omni GLHS really hasn’t gone up much in value ;) I think a lot of it has to do with whether people saw it as the apex of desirability when they were a kid OR if a lot of the cars were sold so people had one when they were a kid (by “kid” I mean “under 25.”)

9. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable Level III Supporter

I would almost go for that...

10. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

I got a different but very good deal instead :D

Mike

MoparDanno likes this.
  11. MoparDanno

MoparDanno Active Member Level III Supporter

Time to change up the sig pic good sir!

12. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

Not yet... maybe Saturday. :D

Mike

UN4GTBL and MoparDanno like this.
  13. TTO_XODJ

TTO_XODJ Member

You're joining the dark side? Where burnouts are the best thing a 275 tire is good for?? lol:D:D:D

14. duster92

duster92 Active Member

I would argue that buying anything in the hopes that it will be "worth something someday" is almost zero sum game. Everyone looks to the Muscle cars but they had perhaps the wealthiest generation in US history as their biggest fans. Cars changed drastically from 1974 on. So you had this big drop off in horsepower and engine size that really wasn't equaled until a quarter century later. You may never see that again. Shelby himself said he didn't think his FWD Turbo cars would be worth much..and most of them aren't. I love them..but most of them haven't bested their original MSRP when adjusted for inflation.

15. wilbur

wilbur Member

You bought a Mustang?????? :D

UN4GTBL likes this.