AF: Hello all | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello all

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by jim thompson, May 4, 2016.

1. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

You can click my avatar and 'start a conversation' with me if you like. It may be best to keep this thread discussion going as the information here might help someone else doing a 2.7L job.
    After valve lapping is done, I usually like to double-check the valve face and valve seat contact area with Prussian Blue paste to make a 'print' of the contact area and be sure that the sealing surfaces are in 360° contact. The blue should be all around the valve. You don't want to see thin spots like this one:
    IMG_1123.jpg
    image016.jpg
    I'm glad to hear that the valves don't appear to be bent. That would just be more expense.

2. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

He posted above, ImperialCrown, smart cookie!!

Thanks
    Randy

3. jim thompson

jim thompson New Member

Well I have cleaned the heads and deck still have some more of the to do noticed while doing the deck that when I pressed down on cylinder two it dropped. I had problems before due to some sludge that mistakenly tried to clean getting moved around trapped in oil pickup and causing the bearings to grind because of not getting enough oil so when it dropped that gave me more reason to go into that area after pulling the oil pan on this Dodge which was easier than I thought then removing the many bolts and dropping the crankcase I found slop in one of the caps when I removed it there was no bearing so now I am stumped why isn't there a bearing?[​IMG] Shouldn't there be two bearings top and bottom http://i.imgur.com/t6whiXA.jpg

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

This looks very bad. The water pump may have been leaking for awhile along with PCV sludging problems. You may find pieces of disintegrated bearing laying in the bottom of the oil pan. :(
    This engine must have had a loud rapping noise when running.
    Usually when this amount of wear/damage is present, it is best to stop and re-evaluate the situation and the next best course of action.
    I would look for price and availability of a reman engine. I feel that a used, pre-2002 2.7L engine (if you can find one) may have similar wear issues, unless it comes with a warranty.

5. jim thompson

jim thompson New Member

http://i.imgur.com/7t8Xu2R.jpg yep sure did ImperialCrown and there is no way I can fix this without buying a new motor? Because I really can't afford to buy it what about replacing the crankshaft?

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Usually with this degree of internal engine damage and the metallic debris left behind, it is best to try and replace the engine with a good used or remanufactured assembly. I would not consider it a candidate for rebuilding. You will probably never get all the metal chips out of the engine.
    I would hate to have you throw good money after bad.
    I thought that this was a fairly routine water pump/timing chain/bent valve replacement. Personally, I would not put any more money into this engine with this amount of damage. That's my 2¢.

7. jim thompson

jim thompson New Member

With the engine torn down this far it's not possible to flush it I have picked all the metal flakes from the oil pump and pickup figured I could have the crank turned if I knew how to remove with engine in car have already taken piston rods out might as well give this a shot but you're saying it's really a waste of time at this point again there's no uh.. like pressure wash I can do or something so far ImperialCrown I have only spent $20 for stem seals 10 for exhaust valves $35 for head gaskets and time Can the crankshaft be removed if so how without removing engine?

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The engine would have to be removed to service the crank (see p. 9-55):
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/.../2000_LH_LHS_300M_Concorde_Intrepid/ELH_9.PDF
    The crank would be serviced as a 'kit' with select-fit upper and lower bearings. An example:
    Chrysler 2.7L Crankshaft Kit, Chrysler 2.7 Crankshaft Kits
    At the same time, you could have the block, heads, pan and covers, etc tanked for cleaning.
    This may or may not have successful final results. You may find more wrong as you progress. I would still recommend an engine replacement.