Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help me start my car

Discussion in 'F-J-M: Volare, Diplomat, etc, 1977-89' started by Alain95i4, May 5, 2017.

1. Alain95i4

Alain95i4 Member

I started a new thread
    this is the car in question
    https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/fifth-avenue-1984-worth-a-restoration.167085/

when my grand father was still alive the car was in a garage and somebody disconnected or removed something to prevent my grand father to start it since he was too old to drive and lost his permit

I have no clue what they did but the air filter cover was missing when I got the car towed to my place
    I talked to a machanic and he told me something about a square or cubic thing on the carburetor
    I could see a small nipple where a vacuum line could be missing
    no disconnect electrical connectors are visible either
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alain95i4

Alain95i4 Member

why facebook pictures are not working anymore ?

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The electronic spark control is part of the air cleaner. It is plugged in?
    As with any no-start diagnosis, begin with spark and fuel tests. Is a blue-white spark while cranking and fresh fuel present? The choke plate should snap shut when cold, crack open after starting and gradually open fully as it warms.
    If the car has sat for awhile. I would suspect that the fuel may have gone bad. A shot of carb cleaner into the carb may get it to fire up briefly. Be careful of fire hazards regarding flammables and spark.

valiant67 and Bob Lincoln like this.
  4. Alain95i4

Alain95i4 Member

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Sounds quiet and smooth. If the engine oil is also 6 years old, I would change it (and filter) before running it for too long. All fluids do age and fluid replacement should be considered good maintenance practice.