AF: Help with Trans for 318 Small Block LA | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Trans for 318 Small Block LA

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Kifo201, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Kifo201

Kifo201 Member

I would like to mate a modern automatic transmission such as the 545RFE, 45RFE, or W5A580/NAG1 to a 1970 small block 318 from a Duster. I know PCS makes standalone controllers and harnesses for the NAG1 and 545RFE, but I am not sure what would be necessary to get this to work if it's even possible.

I read over this thread and what I take from it is that the A, LA, and Gen III Hemi all share the same bellhousing pattern. Does this mean bolting a 545RFE to my 318 is possible?
    Engine/transmission Bell Housings

2. Diz TheFiddler

Diz TheFiddler New Member

Hi Kifo,

since obviously nobody knows about it, did you find any info/help to the topic elswhere? I would like to bolt a 360 LA to a NAG1 from a 5,7L gen3 hemi. My main concern is the flexplate, converter, starter issue. But I didnt even take a closer look to the parts by now.

Please let me know what you found out or which problems you ran into.

Thanks and greets
    Diz

3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I'm not a mechanic, but it seems to me that if you're going to try to use a modern trans with an older engine like that, you're going to need some computer control modules and the smarts how to wire it up and make it work properly. There's a lot more than bolting it up and installing it before it would properly work.

Tony K likes this.
  4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I know the 4 speed can attach to an engine independently but had not heard the 5 speed could.

Volunteer likes this.
  5. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

A500 or 42RH would be easiest to use, just a 12v supply and a switch for 4´rth gear. Bolts right up but needs cutting and trimming in the floorpan and tranny crossmember on older mopars.

Volunteer and Adventurer55 like this.
  6. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

I agree with previous two posts. A500 would be first choice and 518 as second. Friend has '72 Challenger with a 360, with factory console, and nothing is visible to indicate tranny upgrade - except for two small, black, round 'rocker-type' switches on inside raised part of console - to the right of T-handle. One switch for overdrive and other for converter 'lock-up'. Very discrete, functional and works great (with 3.70 rear gears). But, she purchased car already converted so I do not know the details - except for minimum structural mods underneath.

7. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

8. Diz TheFiddler

Diz TheFiddler New Member

Thanks for your answers!

as kifo mentioned in his first post, there are options for a standalone controller for a nag1 and i work with such things, so i think i can manage this.
    but i have to attach the tranny to the engine somehow and want to know if there exist adapter solutions. gearstar has it, but only sells it with a whole transmission kit for just under 6000€ plus shipping to Europe and taxes and duty...
    i already have the tranny and the whole car is a budget build. just dont want to design the flexplate on my own because its time consuming and expensive build.

i dont take a 46rh because they are hard to get in austria/europe and when you get one, they are more expensive than the newer/better nag1.