NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HEMI Café

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by JohnRogers, Mar 3, 2017.

1. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

The new administration is asking the EPA to review the next round of CAFE standards. Hinting at lowering it.

Could this alone add years to the HEMI and other V8 engines? Any downside to the automakers I'm not considering?

2. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

Personally, if the administration wants to take a middle approach, it could just extend the date for 56mpg out another 5-10 years

3. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

4. Hellcatbroughtmehere

Hellcatbroughtmehere Member

I thought Mopar was opening a bar/restaurant when I first read the thread title lmao! Please tell me I'm not the only one that jumped to that conclusion haha

5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I would just keep in mind the Hemi barely passed NOx standards when it was reintroduced in the early 2000's. I recall Bob Sheaves posting the Hemi was almost a no-go due to the high NOx levels. I'm guessing the later versions of the Hemi with VVT are better in that respect.

6. LouJC

LouJC Member

Well maybe all of us just don't want or totally trust the Pentastar as of yet.
    I drove 3 different WK-2s with the Pentastar and they just don't come close to the feel of the Hemi in my old '07. So Chrysler don't give up on it yet. I'm sure they have some more tricks up their sleeve and I don't see Toyota going away from V8s in their larger SUVs either....

7. badgerbeerman

badgerbeerman Member

I would think that it would extend the life of the Hemi. But aren't they already working on a replacement?

Maybe it would give them a option of choosing the TT V6 or Hemi. Or better yet add DI,and a aluminum block to update the Hemi.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Which is interesting since my impression was they were simply going to fire all the people who enforced it.

9. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Member

If you're comparing the Pentastar V6 to a Hemi V8, then I'm not sure that's even a fair comparison.

Compare a (hypothetical) 4.8 Litre Pentastar V8 to your Hemi, and then you may have a more realistic basis for comparison.

guyverfanboy and Farmall Hauler like this.
  10. LouJC

LouJC Member

My point here is that if you are going to buy a new WK-II, then virtually all of them, even the very pricey Overland, they all seem to come with the 3.6. If you want a Hemi you need to search or special order one it seems. When I was looking at used WK-Is it was not that hard to find them at that time and you had a choice of 2 different V8s. Personally for towing or off road use the low end torque of the V8 is superior. I think 'forcing' the customers to take the V6 in most cases lowers the desirability of the WK-II.
    Powerwise the V-6 makes the WK-II competitive in its class. The V8 makes it superior. FCA needs to be SUPERIOR, not just adequate/competitive.

guyverfanboy and rapidtrans like this.
  11. link3721

link3721 Needs More Jeep Level 2 Supporter

Most people are fine with the 3.6 in the WK2s. They off-road just fine, I've done it. V8 is really only needed if you want the extra towing capacity. For most the extra price and fuel usage isn't worth it. They're providing what the market wants.

12. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

These days eight cylinders in a passenge vehicle is more about want than need. We cannot rationalize, with numbers, needing eight cylinders any more than needing ice cream.

This is the trap in which Acura finds itself: it refuses to offer anything bigger than 3.5 V6 because, in their view, that's all people need. Unfortunately for them, other automakers understand that luxury is not about needs but wants, and so Acura sales continue to lag farther and further behind.

Offering a V8 helps Jeep get the prestige to position Grand Cherokee as a credible luxury alternative. And to a large extent, the availability of a V8 also helps 300 and Charger, even if most buyers end up opting for the V6.

BTW, offering the 392 HEMI on 300 would do wonders for its sales, even if the take rate of that specific engine ended being low.

If CAFE standards were relaxed, we may see just that.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  13. LouJC

LouJC Member

They need to stand out not merely keep up.
    What puts the G/C above and beyond the Toy 4 Runner?
    V8
    What makes it a viable tow vehicle alternative to a mid size or 1500 series pick up?
    V8
    If they don't stand out for quality and reliability (let's face it, will they ever?)
    Then they need to stand out somewhere. Engines and 4x4 systems must be exceptional in Jeep's flagship vehicle . A 290 hp V6 is adequate not exceptional.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  14. LouJC

LouJC Member

Let me put it another way:
    If not for the Hemi option I would have never bought a WK-1. I preferred and still do prefer the older simpler ZJ/WJ Grands but what clinched it for me was Hemi/QD-2. That made an ordinary vehicle exceptional.

15. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1 Level 2 Supporter

They wanted to but CARB threatened to enforce it on their own anyway. They still might, they seem to think that they run the EPA now.