NewsDoes the Demon stop faster than the Camaro ZL1? • More Waymo Pacificas; public to test • Is this the new Chrysler crossover?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HEMI Café

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by JohnRogers, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

By “they” do you mean CARB? Congress can revoke CARB’s authority, and I suspect they will. Likewise, any state lawsuits against coal-based utilities are likely to be ended by federal statute.

We have been here before.

2. LouJC

LouJC Member

Has anyone at EPA or any other agency ever done a cost-benefit analysis determining the cost of the regulations vs what benefit we got from them? No doubt the air and water are cleaner, but at what point do we decide that spending a lot more will yield relatively small benefit? It seems that the EPA has been able to operate without any assessment of this, but I could be wrong about that.

Just one example of the onerous nature of their regulations. If you have a vehicle that is certified to Calif standards (and NY adopted those some years back, so many if not all cars sold here must meet Cali standards) when it comes time to replace a cat converter, you are stuck sometimes only with OE because either there is no aftermarket version for Cali cert cars, or the 49 state ones won't work and set a check engine light. Which then means that you won't pass in inspection in NY state. I feel that the strictness of the regs and the reality that there is no aftermarket alternative is an unfair burden on consumers. Imagine if the only available muffler was a $600 OE stainless muffler?

3. Dave Z

Many have been done. Generally, they determine that the cost of regulation is more than paid for in avoided health care costs, lives saved, etc. What's more, there are often more jobs created by pollution abatement than are lost.

One can be guided by research or ideology. Politicians are guided by ideology, for the most part. (I won't mention bribes but if you bring it up...)

My comment only relates to the Federal level. CAFE seems to be more unnecessarily onerous than necessary.

guyverfanboy, James A, GasAxe and 4 others like this.
  4. freshforged

freshforged Active Member Level 2 Supporter

I'd be perfectly happy with a turbo I-6 if they could keep it affordable. I'm afraidd all the talk in other threads about going beltfree and 48v (although exciting)might make it difficult to break even, let alone replace the cash cow that is Hemi.

UN4GTBL and wtxiceman like this.
  5. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1 Level 2 Supporter

CARB is a state-run agency that other states voluntarily submit themselves to. They're not empowered at the federal level at all. So while they can be essentially eliminated from participation at the EPA/Federal level, California and all the states that voluntarily throw in with them will still be subject to CARB regulation. Not that like this fact, mind you, but that's 17 states there, not a small chunk of the country. WIthout trying to turn this into a political discussion, that battle could end up getting very interesting.

6. Muther

Muther Active Member

Yeah, me too!

I was hoping that they were going to do a chain of them (like the Hard Rock Cafe's), but with Mopar memorabilia all over the place.

I was already planning my T-Shirt collection "Hemi Café DETROIT"

7. Dave Z

They actually have an exemption which allows them to have stricter than usual rules.

States' rights are a slogan, not a reality... remember the national 55 mph law? National 21 drinking age?

8. npaladin2000

Yeah, it is a slogan. This is the touchy possibly political part: it might become a slogan for states (like CA and NY) who's political leadership is typically aligned against states rights. Which is why it's gonna be "interesting." :)

I'll leave it there, I don't want this to turn into a poltitical discussion. Instead I'm going to find out how to open the first Hemi Cafe franchise in my area. :D

JohnRogers likes this.
  9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member Level III Supporter

NOx emissions is the achilles heel of the Hemi combustion chamber. When we dropped the earlier version (1971-1972) that was the main engineering reason why it was done. We had the ball stud Hemi (400" & 444')ready for production to cut the production costs of the Hemi but the emissions problem couldn't be solved back then and then of course there was the car insurance issues that put the nail in the coffin of the Hemi.
    PS: Where is the menu for the cafe'? Will there be donuts and cookies???????

10. 2012srtchallenger

2012srtchallenger Member Supporter

I love hemis would hate to see them go.presently have hellcat will be buying Durango or rebel with the hemi,keeping the hellcat.i will be glad for epa to be cut back or powers drastically reduced.i don't need government forcing mpg on my cars of choice.it makes want to get cars that get gallons to mile than miles per gallon.if iwant government meddling I would go live in Europe and pay afortune for fuel and taxes on bigger engines.

11. Muther

Muther Active Member

I saw an advanced copy of the menu...

There are "Hellcat Hamburgers, Charger Cheeseburgers, Demon Dogs, and one dish called Challenger SRT R/T Road & Track, Road and Track, Brougham mashed potatoes.

12. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member Level III Supporter

Hey.....................I'm Polish so I want some kielbasa and pierogi and kapusta and ham and some angel wings for dessert!!!!!!!!!!

13. desavona

desavona Member

Would you like that combo Hemi sized?

Detonator Yellow and Doug D like this.
  14. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

It's all about fuel economy. By Moto Trend 2.0 GME T4 just beats EPA estimates and not by a low margin. And if there will be a I6 it's also a inherently more smoother than V8. Let's for now imagine that I6 will be replacement for 5.7 liter Hemi. And let's imagine that it's a slant 6.

ScramFan likes this.
  15. npaladin2000

Available sizes include Subcompact, Full Size, Heavy Duty, and SRT. Due to lack of popularity with focus groups, the Compact and Midsize options were not included.

UN4GTBL, desavona and page2171 like this.