NewsDemon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon • Ram Longhorn to match trailers

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HEMI Café

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by JohnRogers, Mar 3, 2017.

1. page2171

page2171 Member

Bwahahahaha ...that made my day!

2. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Member

And......for those who are watching their weight:

The "300" Calorie Green Salad!.........There used to be a "200" Calorie Green Salad, but it was cancelled because the profit margin was too thin:p:D

TTO_XODJ likes this.
  3. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

Indeed. Fortunately, speed limits have reverted back to state control.

My guess for drinking age being national is, either there's federal funding tied to it (as with 55 MPH and federal highway repair funds), or plain lack of political courage at the state legislatures.

In Canada, for instance, drinking age is set by each province: 18 years in Quebec, Alberta and Manitoba; 19 years elsewhere.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

As I recall the drinking ages IS tied to federal highway funding which more or less forced the states to comply to instituting the drinking age at 21. No state was willing to lower the drinking age and losing federal funding. So yeah, there was a choice, but no political will to do so.

valiant67 and aldo90731 like this.
  5. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

Funny how all we have to do is follow the money trail...

wtxiceman, Erik Latranyi and Doug D like this.
  6. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

So, states had free choice, but were threatened with loss of funds, which is not respecting states rights.

Yes, an abusive central government that acts like a kind organization that respects choice........much like the mob giving the store owner a choice to pay protection money or take the risk of something bad happening to the store.

PCRMike and aldo90731 like this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Just as a reminder of who put that into action — REAGAN CALLS FOR DRINKING AGE OF 21 - NYTimes.com

So yes, states' rights are promoted sometimes, but are rejected sometimes, by the same people, on both sides of the aisle.

[long treatise self-censored.]

Zagnut27, npaladin2000 and aldo90731 like this.
  8. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

Dave, the threat of witholding federal highway funds for the 55 MPH speed limit was before Reagan.........

Secondly, Reagan was not perfect. He did several things that I disagree with.

Detonator Yellow likes this.
  9. freshforged

freshforged Active Member Level 2 Supporter

my point is any replacement for the hemi must be able to be manufactured at a low price point. Non SRT Hemi v8 are by all accounts dirt cheap to make--Pentastar not so much. perhaps the new I6 will be the entry level equivalent of the base Hemi?

10. Dave Z

Yes. That's why I quoted drinking age.

My point is that the man who brought states' rights back as a rallying cry was rather quick to dismiss them when he felt like it. They're no block to action in reality. Look at CAFE: if they can't roll back the regs, they'll just eliminate funding for enforcement. There's always a way to work around the rules.

That's true. The Hemi is a surprisingly cheap engine. Pentastar is expensive, which might be why it's no longer the favored son. I also suspect, based solely on the Ferrari effort, that getting high power from it is not going to happen. Ferrari, at GREAT expense, only got 404 hp — and the cheaper Chrysler twin turbo has to reach 380. It was originally supposed to pass 40. My guess: the reason we have not seen a twin turbo Pentastar is because it costs too much to be practical. If / when we do see one, don’t expect it to replace the 5.7...

Hence the straight six in five to ten years.

Also, of course, straight engines are considered far more upscale than a V6

James A likes this.
  11. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1 Level 2 Supporter

I'd love a straight 6, it'd be even better if they made it short enough to fit in a tranverse FWD setup.

AvengerGuy and dakota21 like this.
  12. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

I will not debate what's cheaper or what's more expensive because I don't know price for each of them. But I know that modular engines could provide long term savings and also we could see more often improvements with such approach. For savings I'm not talking about Hemi but about GME(in various versions) in place of Pentastar. I'm not hiding that I'm proclamator of modular engines, both Vee and Inline. In both cases transverse applications are ones which are not favored for anything bigger than Inline 4 or maybe Inline 5.

And also that will IMO provide a much needed fuel economy improvements for FCA.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  13. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Active Member

Inline 6 engines are not inherently "smoother" than V8 engines. They're inherently balanced, which still doesn't necessarily translate into anything really meaningful in terms of NVH. Some of the roughest, and coarsest engines I've experienced were I6 engines (Toyota F Engine, Jeep 4.0) while some of the smoothest running have been V8s. At the time, Lexus's V8 was objectively smoother running with less measured noise and vibration than both BMW's and Mercedes' I6 engines.

As far as CAFE goes, I doubt FCA will diverge much from whatever they had planned. Administrations don't last that long, and whoever comes next might clamp right back down on CAFE.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Zagnut27 and Dave Z like this.
  14. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Member

Count me in!

I have visions dancing in my head of a whole new modular family of inline engines......in 3, 4, 5, and 6 cylinder flavors, depending on the application.

And.....of course....an 8 cylinder version which would be exclusive to the Viper, and an actual production version of the Chrysler Chronos concept (a 4-door Viper-based luxury flagship).....a car which would be truly worthy of the name: Imperial

To me, the modular approach makes so much sense it's a shame FCA has taken this long to finally get around to it. Once again.....late to the party.:(

Dave Z likes this.
  15. Dave Z

In fairness, the 3.7 and 4.7 were codeveloped, and there were supposed to be Pentastar V8s and maybe Pentastar fours, and Chrysler did look at straight-eight Neon engines... but yes.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.