AF: HEMIS are gone after 2019? | Page 26 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HEMIS are gone after 2019?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by dakrt99, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Depends on what the Dart replacement is ;)

Mike

somber likes this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

BMW used to have a 2.0 liter six-cylinder.
    Would you prefer a 3.6 liter V8 to a twin turbo V6?

3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Just to get you all excited, look at the 2017 Lincoln MKZ... they are putting a TTV6 in it with AWD with 400 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque from a 3.0L displacement. TTV6 are going to be the next big thing for the next generation of cars in the market for performance in the midsize segment. There are ways of getting higher mileage ratings with big power.

Robert Johnson likes this.
  4. somber

somber 370,000 miles

First off, let me say I have absolutely zero inside knowledge, so this is just my guess. I think the Dart replacement is going to be a Dodge adaptation of Giulia (a car which already offers a TTV6 version, by the way).

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

So one of the “partners” would be Alfa Romeo or Fiat?

6. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

You can put a Hemi to sleep but it comes back with a vengeance.

PCRMike likes this.
  7. Robert Johnson

But the 2.7TT gets it's torque far lower in the RPM band, and a lot more of it, (375lbsft @ 3000) which is where one needs and wants it in a truck. Try pulling a load up a grade in the mountains in the 3.6 then get in an EB.......no comparison. My son in law has a F150 3.5EB that he uses to pull a 20ft boat up the Sierras. He passes cars pulling the trailer at Donner Summit. I would rather lose a few MPGs and be able to keep up with traffic up hills etc than not. A good example is the diesel engine in the GM mid size twins. MT tested the GMC with AWD and it could not even hit 60MPH in 1/4 mile while towing a big load. Sure, it is getting better MPGs when loaded but cant get out of its own way when loaded either. The Pentastar is far more of a light duty delivery truck engine than any of the EBs. It is a great engine but there is no comparison in capability between EB models.

Like an above poster said, the EB engines are not going away nor are there any serious problems with them. My son in laws is a 2012 and it has been fine......just perfect for what he bought it for.

8. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Is this because of CAFE/Emission standards ? (I apologize if this was discussed before). I just can't imagine a Challenger/Charger R/T WITHOUT the ability to have a HEMI. I just think that would be a mistake. Yes, I know, economics.
    We have a uniqueness here that I feel should not be ignored.

9. Robert Johnson

And the Fusion 2.7TT is coming this summer as well. 2.7 TT with AWD will make for a hot mid sizer to go along with their hot small offering (Fiesta ST), hot compact (Focus ST,RS), hot CUV (Edge Sport). I have a buddy that works for our local PD and he cant wait to get his hands on an ex EXPI EB when they start selling them to the public when they reach 90K. They will be a performance bargain.

10. Mike V.

Yes... That's one of the many reasons.

Mike

11. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

too much parasitic loss for too little gain

12. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Given that the Charger is going to be an adaptation of the Giulia (albeit larger than the Giulia), are you assuming the Dart INCREASES in size to a true midsize? I thought that the next-gen Dart would SHRINK to make room for the RWD midsize that Dodge is bringing out....

13. auric

auric Well-Known Member

He is talking about GUS. Whether it is a dart, 200 replacement or a brand new vehicle may depend on how you view it.

14. Mike V.

Well, that's not necessarily true.

Mike

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

There are other reasons to go from a V8 to a turbo six than emissions and economy, such as a shorter hood (lower weight), better handling, more control over engine response, fashion, and possibly cost. I don’t know which is cheaper to make (does the turbo hardware outweigh the extra two cylinders?) but I know it's cheaper to design and produce one block, and to produce one family of engines than two.

MoparJoe, JKU12 and Mike V. like this.
  16. Mike V.

So many details :)

Mike

dmcdonald likes this.
  17. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Yes. It has more to do with emissions standards more so than CAFE points. Anything over 3/4 ton pickups don't have much to worry about. But with FCA heavily weighing on Trucks and SUVs, every little bit helps.

18. Ryan

I was under the impression that the next-gen Dart/Dart replacement would be the RWD midsize we've been hearing about.

somber likes this.
  19. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

All depends on how one views things.

Some would say that it would be a Dart replacement - others would say it will be an Avenger replacement.

HotCarNut, somber and Ryan like this.
  20. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

In general--as with everything the devil is in the details--you do gain some smoothness with a properly balanced v8 but all things being equal, an increase in frictional loss is inevitable. You also have additional mass with a v8 that you don't have with a 6--additional casting material and two extra cylinders (even though each part would be proportionally smaller). Of course theoretically you also have a slight increase in power output when compared with a v6 of the same size, but much of that gets eaten up by the losses mentioned above.
    Granted, I AM NOT AN ENGINEER. So everything I just wrote above I learned from listening to my physicist father lecture at the dinner table. =)

Mike V. likes this.