AF: HEMIS are gone after 2019? | Page 29 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HEMIS are gone after 2019?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by dakrt99, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

I listed my '95 Jeep Cherokee, clearly stating it was RWD ONLY.

Sensing I might be wasting my time with a lot of people, I made sure when replying to every inquiry, "You understand this vehicle is RWD only"?

3/4 of them I got back either, "What does that mean"? or "You mean this isn't 4X4, I though all Jeeps were 4X4"?

I had to go back and amend the add to explain it even further, saying, "this Jeep is RWD Only, that means it is NOT 4WD or NOT 4X4, only the rear wheels are driven by the engine".

I swear I could have sold it to 3/4 of the people that looked at it, claiming it was 4WD and they would have never known the difference.

The guy that did buy it, doesn't work on his cars himself, he just takes them to the shop. So he bought a 20 year old car with 290k miles on it? Despite it being in great shape for that many years and miles, he sold it 6 months later because the headgasket blew and it wasn't economically feasible for him to pay to have it replaced...... ....um, yea, if you can't fix cars yourself, it might not be wise to buy a 20 year old 290k mile vehicle.

2. phillip123

phillip123 Member

They ain't gonna be gone.

3. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

We shall see

Mike

guyverfanatic likes this.
  4. Rick Anderson

The V-12 ain't gone either.......
    ....But look how that turned out.....
    I think its reasonable to speculate the same will happen to V8's, although to a lesser degree......
    ...i.e. they will become more rare and more exotic, but more common than an ultra rare exotic car....

guyverfanatic, GasAxe and HotCarNut like this.
  5. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

One engine that never really caught on was the V10: aside from the Viper and the F250 Super Duty on up Ford pickups; I can't think of a single current application of that engine, at least here in North America. V12: IMHO why that design's still around is for 'bragging rights' since a Bent Eight can do everything where performance is concerned but with 33% less cylinders.

Rick Anderson likes this.
  6. oh2o

Level III Supporter

Perhaps for some vehicles, "gone but not forgotten".

7. Mike V.

So true... Then you see the ATS V's that making over 600 whp with a TTV6 and it makes you wonder.

Mike

8. Rick Anderson

I5's never caught on either, Audi had one for years, I'm sure they weren't the only one. Didn't the RAM trucks have a truck version of the Viper V10 for a short period? The HEMI ultimately replacing that?

The angle of the V at certain multiples of the number of cylinders has an optimum point, although other angles can be used but won't be as advantageous as using the optimum angle for the even intervals in firing the pistons.

I think there are also a lot of other engineering factors that make Odd Number of Cylinder engines have an ultimate disadvantage, and likely that is why they ultimately never catch on, while even number of cylinders become much more popular.

9. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Audi and VW used V10's not to long ago. And six cylinder engines should be inline, just as the (Jeep) gods intended.:D

10. Robert Johnson

GM used an I5 (L52) in the last gen of mid size trucks.

General Motors Atlas engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. Rick Anderson

Doesn't/Didn't VW have a W8 and/or W6?

The W comes from having a V arrangement of two banks, but the piston are staggered in each bank. Instead of having all the bores of the bank in a line, the would stagger, one higher, the next lower, then higher..... So the bores could overlap and squeeze together tighter.

I think the W arrangement complicates the engine and increases the stresses, requiring more expensive stronger materials.

But it compacts the engine and fits into smaller space within the car.

GasAxe and Robert Johnson like this.
  12. Rick Anderson

I have heard, the inline 6 is the perfect engine in regards to perfectly spacing the intervals of power strokes vs strokes of the other pistons, and thus NOT only the smoothest, but most strength efficient, needing the least strength for power passed through the engine.

I know just enough about engines, that I could believe that, but realize I don't know a whole lot, perhaps Bob Sheaves can come along and tell us I've been snowed, its NOT that big of an advantage.

BTW, a flat engine of opposed banks is just about the same as an inline, I do think the stress on the parts go up a bit. But I've heard it said the Inline 6 and Flat 6 are the perfect engine configurations. For reasons I can barely remember and relate above.

So Jeep and Porsche are the Engine Leaders! :cool:

And might explain why V12's are the most desired, also called the perfect, engine for exotic cars. They are just a multiple of inline 6.

I think the packaging and initial costs, friction vs fuel efficiency, of V12's is what kills it for all but the ulta-exotic cars.

#572 Rick Anderson, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  13. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Well-Known Member

All of this. The only advantages a V6 has are packaging, and the fact that its inherently a crossflow cylinder head design. An I-6 CAN be setup with a crossflow head, but many had that siamesed intake/exhaust. Its ok for a torque but for any kind of high performance, its lousy since it just doesn't breathe as well and Im sure theres some heat saturation issues as well. Look at any of your high performance 6 cyls...traditionally theyre inline. Nowadays youre seeing more and more of them but its because of crash regulations and economies of scale, NOT because its a superior design.

By and large, V6s are great in applications where an adequate amount of power are needed in a small area without the added complexity of turbos or anything exotic. Theyre great in midsize sedans, minivans, CUVs etc. Those tend to be your everyday appliance type vehicles and wont see any monkeying around by gearheads. Putting them in something like a Wrangler, Challenger, pickup, etc is a compromise. Its a method of using what you have, not necessarily using the best thing for that application. An I-6 would better serve ALL of those as a base engine, IMHO.

14. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Which ATS-V are you talking about? lol 440 horsepower.... CTS-V is... but you are well over HELLCAT price territory for that one! Yikes.

15. v.b.

v.b. Well-Known Member

Robert Johnson likes this.
  16. Mike V.

Huh? I did not say CTS V... I said ATS V and Cadillac makes a sedan version and a coupe version

Yes, with a some bolt on parts, and a tune they are hitting 550 whp and even 600 whp with them. There are multiple ATS V's that are turning high 10 second and low 11 second quarter mile times.

The TTV6 is quite potent.

Mike

17. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Its amazing how much power they can get out of a 3.0L V6 with twin turbo setup... however, there is only one problem... it won't ever sound as good as V8! ;)

Smitman and Mopar392 like this.
  18. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

It's going to take time to adjust to a world without V8 cars. I have an emotional attachment to them. I just bought my third Challenger R/T. It's going to suck not having the option of a V8. I would rather have a V8 than a twin turbo V6. Thanks to regulations, I won't have that choice. I guess if my dad survived the end of the original musclecar era, I can survive this one. Just imagine guys bragging about TTV6s. Jeez, how depressing. They also sound terrible.

19. Mike V.

Maybe so...

Mike

20. Mike V.

Life goes on.

Mike

Durango Boater likes this.