AF: Here is the new Jeep Compass — and when it’s coming | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here is the new Jeep Compass — and when it’s coming

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Looking back at Liberty and such, there's really only been inches of difference between the models for quite some time.

2. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Well-Known Member

Yes I'm curious about the size. I'm guessing between Renegade and Cherokee. Is there a lot of space there in the mareket? What are its competitors?

Prabhjot likes this.
  3. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

I guess between 4"-6" longer maybe tad wider body? Based on this

[​IMG]

4. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I still question if there is a market for the Compass/Patriot!? Is there? We have th Cherokee and Renegade who both are in hot categories and the Compass would be somewhere in between. I think the Compass/Patriot are selling today because of their price. I might be wrong.

5. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Well-Known Member

Thanks @TripleT . How close is that to the Cherokee?
    I'm just thinking out loud here but I wonder if this new one will be differentiated by class defining off road capability so as to win back the new Jeep haters? Kind of where you'd pay the same price as a similarly equipped Cherokee and although a smaller vehicle would have better capabilities. They have had a lot more time to develop this compared when the Cherokee was done. And resources too. This could justify having two vehicles close in size which could no doubt cannibalize each other's sales or even confuse customers.

Medicin-Man likes this.
  6. badgerbeerman

badgerbeerman Well-Known Member

What ever its called I hope we see it soon. What I really think they need to go after is Subaru somehow.

7. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

I'd like to see them do that with a Dodge or Chrysler model rather than EVER implying the Subaru had anything close to Jeep credentials.

MPE426HEMI and Medicin-Man like this.
  8. Int

Int Active Member

My thinking has evolved a bit. If these are the new sedans then there is room for a variety of them. We'll see.

Prabhjot likes this.
  9. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

It's going to take same spot as the Compass, newer better, less cost, less power than Cherokee. No more canalizations then now. May be more capable then the current. It will have a transverse engine and same suspension as Renegade. It just a addition to a full line offering. Now that said the is a rumor the Cherokee move to a longitudal so more capable in her cards

Prabhjot and AlfaCuda like this.
  10. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Renegade is very small. There should absolutely be a market for something in between Renegade/Cherokee. Especially a well done modern vehicle and not an old tech one like current Compatriots. Note the lengths below.

Jeep Renegade - 167" length
    Jeep Compatriot -
    Jeep Cherokee - 182" length
    Jeep Grand Cherokee - 190" length

11. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

Currrent Patriot is 173.8" in Length. It has more rear-seat leg room than Renegade and the luggage space is longer n-s.

MPE426HEMI and UN4GTBL like this.
  12. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Exactly , there are many buyers that wont go near a Cherokee due to its weird looks..

13. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Best selling Jeep, so many buyer that would. Not for everyone but either was the ugly duckling last gen Liberty. No reason to continue the durogatory tone.... Simply a in between vehicle

Jeepmeister, tlc, edgecrusher and 4 others like this.
  14. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

Just like every other car on the road.

desavona likes this.
  15. WS23Mopar

WS23Mopar Active Member

Subaru survives mainly due to its AWD capability in snow. I'd also like to see either Jeep of Dodge go after this segment (especially since the Northeast US is one of Jeep's strongest regions, and a Subaru stronghold as well). Maybe some sort of future AWD CUV with 8"+ ground clearance, long-ish wheelbase, and a low CG?

16. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Sounds like the new Chyrsler Journey

james.mooney., WS23Mopar and Prabhjot like this.
  17. Archknight

Archknight Well-Known Member

+1
    Since this is a LWB version of the SUSW platform Jeep is using for the Compass/Patriot replacement they easily use it on a Chrysler version, it would be better equipped than the Jeep like the new Pacifica.

james.mooney. likes this.
  18. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

Yes, except it will be Cherokee-sized or larger, and likely on CUSW.

However, I agree that a Chrysler version of the C-CUV is a good idea, but it has yet to appear on any product plan.

#38 james.mooney., Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  19. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

I see two in the crystal ball 1 Cherokee sided stretched in the back (no worries about departure angles... 1 RU sized slightly small interior

james.mooney. likes this.
  20. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

Last month's FCA investor update stated that the Chrysler brand's vehicle lineup is being reevaluated due to a slow-down in the sedan market. There was much discussion here that this meant that the 100 compact sedan is being scrapped in favor of a CUV. I thought that maybe it meant they are reconsidering whether or not to do a next-gen 300.

But, maybe they are not considering canceling upcoming products, but rather adding new ones? The C-CUV would be a no-brainer, as it could be based on the Compass like the upcoming Fiat brand C-CUV.

The Tipo, which is rumored to be the basis of the 100, is due for wagon and hatchback variants this year. Maybe they are considering a 100 hatchback in addition to the sedan. How has the US compact hatchback market been doing? I know sedans outsell hatchbacks here in the US, but what is the hatchback growth trend? Are sales increasing? Does FCA want Chrysler to have a hatchback competitor to the Cruze, Focus, Corolla, Civic, etc.? I would imagine that most of the modifications being made to the Tipo architecture for the 100 sedan could be applied relatively easily to the hatchback bodystyle as well. Heck, why not bring over the wagon as well??