AF: Here is the new Jeep Compass — and when it’s coming | Page 9 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here is the new Jeep Compass — and when it’s coming

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jan 15, 2016.

1. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

I would argue the use of the word "poor" is highly subjective. It would really depend on what an individual's personal parameters are they are looking for in a vehicle. From a high level view, even the current non-metal roof Wrangler Unlimited is quite a good replacement.

valiant67 likes this.
  2. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Again it like regulatory requirement paused the last year of the XJ. Side impact standards alone changes the character of "new" XJ

3. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

Swedish design and execution but Chinese money.

Prabhjot likes this.
  4. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

That's enough to make it a no-go for plenty of consumers.

PCRMike and Morty like this.
  5. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Yeah, i don't see the need for another small Jeep.
    Just checked out a Renegade today while the 300 was in for an oil change. I still prefer the Renegade over Cherokee, Compass or Patriot. The high roof allows better entry. I bang my head everytime i get in a Cherokee.

6. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

I have a Patriot that I bought new in 2008. If the replacement doesn't suit me I would probably consider a Subaru Forester before either a Renegade or a KL Cherokee. I did like the glass area in the KJ Liberty. IIRC the headroom was good too.

7. Mopartial

Mopartial Fits and Finishes

Now that's ugly.

TripleT likes this.
  8. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

For people who are not you, DUH!?! as the kids say :)

9. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

Given FCA's status (problem- ostensibly last) on carbon emissions, a prudent move would be to look at Cherokee, Renegade and Compass replacements having some form of hybridization. That may become a necessity, a la RAV4.

10. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

what and give them away? And its not about Carbon emission that has a unmeasurable effect on total GHGs it about CAFE. With cheap fuel costs and a possible change in Federal leadership some relief may come along.

ScottB, somber and PCRMike like this.
  11. xjgary

xjgary Well-Known Member

Why would anyone want to build a 32 year old design? That makes absolutely no sense! How would you pass safety standards? We're talking about an XJ REPLACEMENT. Something that looks good, has space for extended camping gear, rides well enough to take on a long trip, has good off road capability via solid axles, and at a decent price. Maybe the next gen Wrangler will meet our criteria, and I hope it will. But many of us think Jeep is missing an opportunity. Their solid axle vehicle sells everyone they make with no money on the hood and no capacity to make more. There is room for another model. FCA has an unfortunate history of building a strong following for certain vehicles, and then just dropping the vehicle and abandoning that customer base. For example, the PT Cruiser, Neon. And of course solid axle Cherokees and grand Cherokees. As to finding clean old XJ's? I have the cleanest looking 1993 around, but it has 332000 miles on it. My friend is in the same boat with 315,000. I looked on craigslist and saw a nice looking 1998 model. But it had 323,000. Most of them are pretty trashed by now. The exception is the black ones, but I like to go to the desert and live to tell about it. Probably in the rust belt they don't rack up those miles, but they use salt on their roads, so no thanks..

CherokeeVision likes this.
  12. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Part of the Genie in the bottle of the XJ have passed with movement of time, regulation, and liability..... You cannot go back. You will have to hope that some else is convinced that some way to come up with such a loved vehicle..... you kind of answered your own question...

but how does it happen it happen with Sec. 24405. Treatment of Low-Volume Manufacturers NHTSA Provision

Put all the latest after market bests for the suspension components an your at the glory days again

Most XJ originally were grocery getters

Did FCA kill the PT and Neon? Pretty sure that was someone else.

And we are a tweener spot here I took a 10 min drive and say 20+ along the way many very clean. Local shop loves redoing them.

superduckie5000 likes this.
  13. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

I look at it this way. There will likely never be another true XJ replacement. And with the proliferation of CUVs compared to 20 years ago and the fact that Wrangler Unlimited exists, I think there is a very strong argument to be made that there may not be a business case for a completely new XJ that will sell in the numbers one would need it sell.

So, given all that, there is an alternative in Wrangler Unlimited that is really darn close to XJ. And perhaps the new JL Unlimited or other variants will be even closer. So, one can spend another 20 years bemoaning the fact that XJ doesn't exist anymore and never get anywhere, or one can buy a vehicle that is exceptionally close to an XJ and way closer than any other vehicle in the market and have tons of smiles on their face, especially when that new diesel is popped in there. :) :)

Mallard, Cornupenuria and TripleT like this.
  14. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

I am just worried about pricing... Renegade runs from $18k to low $30ks. Overlaps with Cherokee... curious to see how Compatriot fits

15. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

The closest successor to the XJ Cherokee today seems to me to be the UAZ Patriot from Russia. It seems sturdy and capable for what it is. It isn't compliant with North American pollution or safety criteria. It is underpowered by North American expectations. It does have a Diesel option. It has solid axles and a transfer case. The only dealers in the Western Hemisphere seem to be in Venezuela and Nicaragua. If you were able to import one it would be an orphan for parts and service. I suspect many Western European and North American auto manufacturers have one or two at their test facilities. UAZ [yAZ in Cyrillic alphabet] also makes a derivative pickup. http://www.uaz.ru/en/cars/patriot http://www.uaz.ru/en/cars/pickup http://www.uaz.ru/en/cars/cargo And, of course, we are not getting along very well with the Russians these days. I think it's still worthwhile to know it's there.

16. Hank600ES

Hank600ES Active Member

[​IMG]I

Here's a rendering from OmniAuto. It seems to distinguish itself from most of the current models.

humdrum, james.mooney. and Prabhjot like this.
  17. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Lots of them running around here, owners like them. If these are the worst ones the rest of the lineup must be Superior.

18. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Looks like the GC replacement.

19. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

I would like it if Renegade stays where it is - great B-segment cool small Jeep.

New Compass - looking at that rendering above, it would be great if this becomes the new CRV/RAV-4 type fighter.

This would allow them to move Cherokee to RWD and perhaps make it a bit bigger.

UN4GTBL, AlfaCuda, danbek and 2 others like this.
  20. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

Uuuuvgggglllllak ugly...

superduckie5000 and xjgary like this.