AF: Hidden nugget here | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hidden nugget here

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by ShawnP, Oct 3, 2020.

1. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Interestingly, it’s to build the RAM Classic. Which seems to indicate demand for that is stronger than the “all-new” 2 year old redesign. I honestly can’t decide whether that’s a good news item or something deeply concerning in RAM’s 1500 numbers.

aldo90731 and Donte Lindsey like this.
  2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

How long now has Warren been down? That may have something to do with Ram Classic production as well. Dealers have to almost be completely out of them.

jclick and Tony K like this.
  3. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

14 weeks of planned downtime and did a check.

Only 30 classics within 100 miles of Louisville.

Pleasant problem of needing 3 shifts to catch up on sales.

Still need that 3rd US plant.

Plus Ram can steal sales from the Blue Oval with their new model switchover.

4. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The DT rams are built in Sterlings Heights. I believe that facility was running flat out before the pandemic. Most likely output was reduced to a trickle, if any. Dealers can't sell something that they don't have.

The funny thing about the DS Ram is that it doesn't feel old except when compared to the DT Ram. This is a different story from the Dodge Grand Caravan which felt really old compared to alternative buys. The DS Ram drives and feels better than Ford and Chevy pickups, all of them. The Ram Classic is priced close to the mid-size Chevy and GMC pickups and is much younger than the Ford Ranger. The suspension is still ahead of whatever Ford and GM have in their full sized trucks.

If Ram wants to turn up the volume while Ford bullies the fleets that is a good thing. Retail buyers will like the new options for 2021 as well, the Warlock package can now be equipped with the old Rebel's wheels and tires.

UN4GTBL, saltydog, Devildodge and 6 others like this.
  5. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Classic is cheaper than the new one and still looks good, if buying because you actually need a truck, I assume most won't care. From the prices I've seen on the new ones, it doesn't surprise me at all.

6. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

That 3rd shift is strictly for the paint shop only. The rest of the plant will be running on 2 shifts.

page2171 and cygnus like this.
  7. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

When does WTAP come back online?

8. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Strange.

Wonder if the paint shop rate is slower than normal till the overhaul is done?

9. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

Judging by the parking lot, they look to be back already.

ShawnP likes this.
  10. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

The Classic isn't much cheaper than the DT. I just priced out on the NADA site a '21 Warlock with all of the options I would want and it came to 54,100. A '21 DT NIght Edition equipped in a similar manor as the Classic came to 54,600. When you option up and Express it can hit around 50. On the Express you can't get things like a rear slider, and the luxury group. The bucket seat and console option used to be about 250 a few years ago, now they are charging 1295 for the same package. The one factor that pricing doesn't come into play is that the Classic is a better looking truck. It has aged well. The DT needs a front end refresh. Give it a more aggressive look and you might change some haters into buyers.

thebluegoat likes this.
  11. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Both the ds and dt sell below msrp, the ds sell way below msrp though so it's a ton cheaper

saltydog, Tony K, somber and 2 others like this.
  12. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Is it that Classic is that much cheaper? -shrug-
    The problem is that FCA/Stellantis keeps pushing everything upmarket and not giving anyone on the less-than-50g side of of life a pickup truck they can afford. Or you can get a lot more "Classic" for your "new ram" money. Dakota/Ram problem, perhaps, and this time there isn't enough difference in capability.

UN4GTBL, HotCarNut and page2171 like this.
  13. Chrysler UK

Chrysler UK Active Member

Could Mack Avenue or Windsor be that 3rd RAM Trucks Plant (besides Saltillo)? Or would it make more sense to make Warren that 3rd Plant and have the Wagoneer be made in Windsor instead?

14. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Could be doing it like: Ram/RamClassic/Wagoneer/WagoneerXL lol

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I had actually been assuming that the Ram Classic and Wagoneer would share the plant. So in price, Ram Classic, Ram, Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer.

I had also been thinking the Grand Wagoneer would be Power Wagon based rather than Ram 1500 based, but probably not. Too much cost. Would be an interesting way to do it since Power Wagon is (albeit disputed) king of the hill in big offroad pickups, and has a pretty nice feel already.

Mack Avenue is interesting, the massive expansion suggests that maybe they've dropped all proposed Windsor crossovers and instead will move Cherokee to Giorgio. Then there would be three sizes of Grand Cherokee there, in essence. Small = Cherokee, medium = Grand Cherokee, large = Gigantic Cherokee.

I wonder how the Cherokee Nation feels about that...

superduckie5000, Tony K and HotCarNut like this.
  16. Chrysler UK

Is Stellantis planning to produce the WL74/WL75 at both Jefferson North & Mack Avenue? Or only at the latter?

Regardless, if Stellantis has given up on building Crossovers at Winsdor (and thus dooming Chrysler), they might as well make it into another RAM Trucks plant.

17. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I would think that would require a very large investment, seeing that they haven't built anything rear wheel drive since 83, and bof has to go way way back.

18. Chrysler UK

I suggested in the "Unifor Negotiations" thread that Unifor should lobby the Canadian Government into providing the investment needed to covert Windsor into a RAM Trucks plant. Because considering the need for another plant for RAM Trucks, it makes more sense to covert an existing plant (that is being underused) rather than just build a completely new one (which would cost more).

Likewise it wouldn't be the first time that a "FWD Car" plant has been coverted into a RAM Trucks one, since Sterling Heights went though that process a few years back.

UN4GTBL and thebluegoat like this.
  19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

From what I heard, both Mack and Jefferson. I think a fourth Ram plant is too risky for FCA to consider.