AF: High beams only | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High beams only

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by willrappold, Oct 12, 2016.

1. willrappold

willrappold Active Member

I have an 85 reliant se 2.2 L (TBI) and i have high beams only, when i push the toggle back nothing happens, is there a relay anywhere?, i used to here something click when it switched from low to high or vise-versa, now nothing. my turn signals, flashers still work. with the lights off you can still push back on the toggle and it will still flash the high beams.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Have you confirmed the low beams are good? It's rare to have both fail at the same time, but you never know. It can happen.

Sounds like a bad multi switch (stalk).

ka9yhd likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

There is usually a rod from the stalk to a switch on the bottom of the column. The switch is probably what you heard operating. I've had the rod get out of whack. See if you can find the actual switch and push the button on it to get low beams. Then you'll know if the problem is the switch or the mechanism that triggers the switch.

PCRMike likes this.
  4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Here is a link to selected pages from the 1984 factory service manual for front wheel drive Chrysler vehicles. I would expect the schematics to be the same for 1985 model year cars.

There is a description for conducting an electrical test on the high - low dimmer switch. As Valiant67 indicated it is down low on the steering column and is actuated by a rod. The switch position is adjustable. The other schematics show wiring at the headlamp switch and connecting to the dimmer switch and onto the front headlamps.

If adjusting the dimmer switch does not solve the problem, use a volt-ohm meter and check for voltage at the light green wire at the dimmer switch. It should have 12 volts with the headlamp switch turned on to headlamp position. The violet wire at the dimmer switch should have 12 volts when the dimmer is in low beam position. Hope this helps.

Dropbox - K Car 1984

#4 AllanC, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  5. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Well-Known Member

It can happen that both lamps are burnt out. A friend bought a used 1987 Omni. While driving the car on the test drive before buying it, he happened to click on the high beams and nothing. Only the low beams worked. Once he got the car home he did some checking and it turns out both high beam lamps were burnt out.

I would check for 12 volts at the lamps first.

6. willrappold

I think I found the problem when I took the cover off ( where fuses are located) to see the dimmer switch, I found it in pieces, the rod had fell out the steering column and the springs flew out, the green plastic cover had failed, also the contacts in my headlight relay are coming apart as well, so i'm gonna replace both, thanks for the help so far.

ka9yhd likes this.
  7. willrappold

Does anybody have a diagram for how this dimmer switch/ rod is put together? Whatever the other end of the rod that goes into steering column is broke as well, so it falls back out. I guess ill have to find another steering column somwhere.

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter