Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Historical Mopar in Nascar - II

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Riverside Raceway, June,1970 "Golden State 400" Riverside, Calif

I had been attending races @ this track since 1966, waiting for a Mopar victory. After a long string of domination by Fords, mostly driven by Dan Gurney, and some frustratingly close to victory Mopar finishes (mostly by their USAC based drivers), this was the breakthrough race.

Article is from the "Los Angeles Times" - hope it is still legible after almost 45 years. How about this for publicity for Mopar? The paper had circulation of over a million readers back then.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Shav Glick was a legendary motorsports writer. It was cool to see that again!

3. dyslexic teddybear

dyslexic teddybear Active Member

Good article.

Very different from todays Nascar, isn't it?

My understanding is there was a very.......strong...... rivalry between Petty and Allison. IIRC reading something from Kyle Petty about growing up around racing, Richard and Bobby were NOT friends.

You have anything on this?

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

He won many awards for his motorsports coverage. i was going to attach pictures I shot at practice for this race to go along with the article but they wouldn't post. I'm going to work at it some more.
    As a matter of fact, McLaughlin, the author who's link I started the other historical Nascar thread with, had just such a story on the Petty-Allison rivalry. I think you can possibly click on the link again and maybe work backwards from thete. If I see it again, I'll link it for you.

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Riverside Raceway - Golden State 400 - June 1970 Riverside, Calif

Photo of the race winning. car that I shot during pre-qualifying practice (hence the empty stands)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Riverside Raceway - Golden State 400, June 1970

Picture of Bobby Allison in Mario Rossi's winged Dodge which I shot in pre-race practice

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Riverside Raceway - Golden State 400, June 1970

Picture of 2 X Winston West Champion Jack McCoy's winged Dodge which I shot during pre-race practice.

[​IMG]

Jack McCoy drove this car to 6th place in the "Golden State 400" race.

Attached Files:

8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Riveside Raceway - Golden State 400, June 1970

Portland, Oregon's Dick Bown in his Ober Logging sponsored Plymouth Superbird.

[​IMG]

9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Riverside Raceway, 1970

Dick Bown in action on the track
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And off....................(just a little)
    [​IMG]

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Riverside Raceway "Golden State 400" June, 1970

Photo of the #71 Nord Krauskof owned Dodge Daytona driven by Bobby Isacc taken during pre-race practice.

[​IMG]

11. dyslexic teddybear

dyslexic teddybear Active Member

Very interesting pics.

Kinda envious ......you were there.

It's a bit before my time, so I never saw in person any of these cars compete. It must have been awesome to see a.......guess if there was Superbirds there, you could call it a flock.

This got me thinking, the first time I ever saw a areo-car, was the only time I ever saw one on the street. In the mid 70s, at the local short track, parked in the row directly behind my Satellite, was a white Superbird. I knew what it was and it's racing history, but I was still stunned. Literally stunned. Talk about standing out in a crowd.

I've seen many, at shows of course, but I have yet to make any of the areo meets. And I have yet to actually see one moving.

I must live a sheltered life.

12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

The winged cars were unbelievable when you saw them in action on a road course - almost like watching fighter planes running along the ground. Unfortunately, as was mentioned on the other Nascar historical thread, this was not the best combination to be running on a road course. The tip of the nose piece was impossible to see from the driver's position which caused a good number of them to end up scrunching the nose in while trying to negotiate traffic, particularly when running through Riverside's famous "esses". Several of the winged car drivers put small rods (looked something like a radio antenna) on the front tip of the nose corners so that they could see where the end of the nose was from the driver's seat. Of course, that was just about the first thing to get "relocated" in any kind of raceday "rubbin".

Considering that the winged cars were essentially banned by the end of the year, I was very fortunate to be able to see them run twice @ Riverside in 1970. Had I known that I was seeing them in action for the last time, I would have taken many more pictures.

13. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

A little agricultural racing there... ;)

14. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Not something you wanted to be doing with the noses on the winged Mopars. :lol:

Actually, as I'm sure that you remember, there was pretty good runoff area at that track. If you went off track, but kept it pointed straight going through the esses, you could usually pass another car and get back into place (+1) on the track. If you turned the wheel too much in the dirt and bogged down the nose..............well, let's just say I've seen some pretty good end-over-ends and barrel roles @ Riverside.

15. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Oh, I remember!
    Nothing more impressive than sitting where you had a straight line of sight down the esses and watching Gurney barrel through there! He never varied and at times you could swear he had the car on two wheels as he made 5 turns into a straight line, with 5 "wiggles"! He never got that far off the pavement, but he was crazy fast in that section.

16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Another picture from the race. This is Bobby Isacc in the K&K Ins Dodge battling with 2 X Winston West champion Jack McCoy.

[​IMG]

17. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Just had a thought, do you have an entry lost for that race?
    That might be Earnhardt in the 8, getting passed?

18. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I'd really like that, Norm, but no, that's Bob England in that #8. He ran that #8 in W.West for several years before anyone had ever heard of "Big E". Ironically, Bob England was one of the few drivers who went the "wrong" way when he stepped up to the top level of stock car racing in the late 60s and early 70s. When I first saw him race, he was running a '55 Plymouth modified at the old Champion Speedway in South San Francisco. When he moved up to W. West, he switched to "Brand C", the exact opposite of several top level W. West drivers who had run "Brand C" modifieds or sportsmen but then switched to Mopars when they moved up - Herschel McGriff, Ray Elder, and Dick Bown among them. One driver who raced Mopar all the way up was John Soares Jr. ( running a #08 for awhile). He had a '56 Plymouth modified when I first saw him race and then showed up in W. West with what, arguably, was the nicest looking car on the circuit - a gorgeous white w/gold trim Superbird. I'm searching high & low for a non-copyrighted picture of that car to post here, since I didn't have my camera with me when he finally was allowed on the track. Soares had never driven a lap @ Riverside before this race and was held in tech till the last few hours of qualifying. He finished 4th in the race!

19. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Old faded picture from the race, but this is another picture of Dan Gurney in his Superbird passing W. West driver Kevin Terris in the #321 Plymouth. Terris's car had an interesting history. The base car came from an insurance co reclamation after the car had originally been stolen from a parking lot @ LAX. At another Riverside race (not this one), Kevin Terris had a pretty good finish - 7th, if I'm remembering correctly.

[​IMG]

20. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

He, that one really was a "stock car"