Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Historical Mopar in Nascar - II

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

The Petty pitting and race prep was lacking. This car was the fastest in practice and sat on the pole. He led for maybe 3/4 of a lap and then had to pit for brake work. He lost about a dozen laps before he could get back out onto the track and then swapped fastest lap times with Parnelli for a good part of the race. He never could make up those lost laps though and ended up in 6th place.

2. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

"Those are the breaks"... (pun intended)

3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

In retrospect, Gurney probably should just have run directly out of the Nichels' shop. Traditionally, the USAC Mopars (almost all of them running Nichels' stuff) ran better at Riverside for years than the Nascar Mopar teams did. I think that Ed posted something recently on one of these threads about Gurney testing the winged car setup @ Riverside for Chrysler a few weeks before the race. There was a lot of hype in racing media (particularly in this area) about Petty returning to Plymouth and the expected 1 - 2 Petty-Gurney punch. It was a bitter pill to swallow to see another Ford victory at that track after all the Mopar hype and raised expectations. Along with all the Gurney Nascar publicity, there was a lot of hype about his association with the Plymouth Trans-Am program and the AAR 'Cudas that he put his name to. After all of that, Chrysler lost interest in supporting that program by the end of the year and Gurney was kind of hung out to dry. He went on to other things and I don't think that he ever forgave Chrysler. As far as I can remember he never worked for them again in the racing world.

4. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Blame it on the upcoming government regulations for the 'lost interest' back then. Chrysler had to meet emission and impact regulations. In 1970, Chrysler was well on the way to working on the '74 cars. Actually, MoPar fans are lucky the wing cars ever existed!!

Remember Ford bailed out also, starting in late 69 - shrinking the number or races they were in- and ending at the end of 1970. Sure, there was backdoor support for years after, but the "Golden Age" was gone for visible support.

5. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Another great Winged Car video:

6. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

Cool Video Fast E,..... love "Freebird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd c1973.

Would have loved to hear those big angry Hemi's a roarin too, tho.....
    Probably filmed on 8mm and 16mm....with no sound.

7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Go to the video that I posted on P25 of the other Nascar historical thread (post #492). The video is mainly about Marty Robbins and was filmed at the old Ontario Motor Speedway. If you are not a fan of his, skip to the last two minutes of the video which shows his Hemi Dodge in action during the race. Fortunately, they didn't edit out the sound. Turn your volume way up - sweetest sound ever to be heard at a Nascar racetrack. [​IMG]

#387 Beentherebefore, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Finally found a photo on Pinterest of what, imo, was the nicest looking winged Mopar running on the West Coast - that belonging to Johnny Soares Jr.

Johnny Soares winged  car.jpg

Soares brought this car to the June, 1970 race at Riverside. He had never raced at that track before. He finished 4th! (behind Petty, Allison, and Hylton)

pentastarpunk and Mopar Jerry like this.
  9. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Nice model car! I know Doug... He does a fine job and is a stickler for details.

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

That's a model???!!

Fooled me. I thought that it was the real deal. :( I'm surprised that anyone else (besides me) remembers that race car. Soares only raced in W. West for about 3 years. It is the only picture that I could find of that car besides the ones on the Aerowarriors site and those are copyrighted.`

You gotta admit - a fine looking race car.

pentastarpunk likes this.
  11. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Yes, a model!:cool:

12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I shoulda guessed from the background. Scenery in Calif generally doesn't look like that but I thought that it might have been shot up in the Pacific Northwest somewhere. The Winston West circuit ran all the way up the coast including into B.C., Canada

PS. There is a short video clip of this car in W.West action on a dirt short track! I'm not sure which one, maybe Sacramento which was a 1 mile track, IIRC. Hard to believe that Soares thought that this was the package to run at a (relatively) short track but videos don't lie.

You can find it @ (about) 53 minutes, 17 seconds into this video. It's less than 10 seconds long but you can clearly make out the #08. Be aware that Chris Econamaki's narrative doesn't match the action shown.

PPS. Most of the first 45 minutes of this video is Ford/Merc stuff so if you despise them, just skip to the winged car narrative about 48 minutes into the video.

#392 Beentherebefore, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Another shot of Dan Gurney in his winged car @ Riverside , Jan 1970. The car following him through turn #8 is the Plymouth of Kevin Terris which has an interesting history (see posts #19 & 21, this thread). Gurney finished 6th in the race and Terris finished 12th. Photo (and following ones) are shared from Pinterest.

Gurney and Terris @ Riverside Jan, 1970.jpg

14. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Great shot of Kevin Terris "locking them up" in the "esses" @ Riverside after he had turned the above car into a Superbird for the June '70 race.

Kevin Terris Winged car @ Riverside June '70.jpg

Unfortunately, similar to Ray Elder, Kevin got one of his worst finishes @ Riverside in the winged car - 38th.

In Jan, 1971, Kevin brought the same car back to Riverside sans the wing and nose. He had a sponsorship from Black & Decker. Here he is shown making a pit stop.

Kevin Terris pitting @ Riverside  Jan '71.jpg

Kevin finished 7th in that race and then came back to finish 7th again in the June Riverside race.

15. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Dan Gurney testing my car at Riverside, late fall, 1969. The #42 Superbird he drove in January, 1970, was not yet completed at Nichels Engineering.
    dan gurney driving #88 daytona test at riverside.jpg

Beentherebefore likes this.
  16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

If you had been watching that car from where that picture was taken, you would have seen Gurney heading almost in a straight line through those "esses" :cool:.

17. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Wish I was there!!!!!!!!!!

18. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

A shot of Richard Petty negotiating the entry to Riverside's "esses" the Gurney way - wheels up over the rumble strips, June, 1970.

Petty wheels-up in Riverside esses 1970.jpg

When I first started to attend the Riverside Nascar races (1966), Petty tried to drive the "esses" like you would a mountain road - right down the middle of the turns. He never could stay out of the dirt for very long and never had a good finish. When he switched to driving a Ford in 1969, FMC had him out practicing on the track with Gurney and Parnelli. Ford was the #1 seller in SoCal at the time and wanted to rub Chrysler's nose in it by showing how much better Petty would run/finish in one of their cars rather than a Mopar. Unfortunately, it paid off big time for them when he won the 1969 "Motor Trend 500" and there was a huge media blitz in this area.

The silver lining of course was when he came back to drive Plymouths, he was a master (well, almost) and won his share of Riverside races in the next few years.

(photo shared from Pinterest)

19. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

FYI - the 69 Torino that exists, claiming to be the #43 Petty Motor Trend winner, is a phony.
    The real winner was wrecked hard and scrapped out by HM.
    Here's pics of the phony Torino and the wrecked original.
    The wrecked car had major cage and floor pan damage, hence, being
    parted out by Holman Moody, back in the day.
    phony petty car 1969 torino.jpg pettys wrecked 69 torino.jpg

#399 DC-93, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  20. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

From what I've seen, there's more than one of those phony #43 Torinos running the nostalgia circuit.