Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Historical Mopar in Nascar - II

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Oct 19, 2013.

1. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I hate clone cars. Especially, when presented as original!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

To you and me being an original is important/impressive. Most people that I have met at nostalgia events just like to have their memories jogged and be reminded of happy times at the race tracks years ago.
    If you are a Mopar fan, that's all you can get out of it these days. Anyone seeing that #43 Torino quickly makes the tie-in to Petty currently driving for Ford because Dodge doesn't want to compete.

3. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Anyone seeing one of the three #43 Super Birds quickly sees the tie in with PLYMOUTH, that can't compete!! lol.....

I have heard that FCA Marketing will get back Dodge back into NASCAR, but only if you stop driving Hondas and Toyotas. ;)

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Turn that around.

I'll stop driving Hondas and Toyotas (with the bonus of very good reliability) IF and WHEN Dodge gets back into Nascar racing. Remember, I only bought my first Honda after waiting more than a decade for Chrysler to re-enter one of their brands into the Nascar Cup series. Instead, Mr Iacocca spent the big $$$$ he made on minivans buying a winery and trying to fob off a Maserati K-car derivative.

Between them, Honda and Toyota seek to kick GM's @*$ in every major racing series covered in the media. That keeps me interested in my favorite sport.

5. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

What did you drive when Dodge was in Nascar Cup- 2001 to 2012? I'd assume only DODGE products?

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Does a Jeep GC count?

7. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

No, since Jeeps weren't in Nascar... Try again!

8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

It supported the mothership and they probably made lots more $$$ off of us than some of the other choices, none of which I really cared about since I prefer 2 dr cars and there weren't many in the Chrysler Corp lineup, Sebring excepted, and it was too small and confining. I also did like the PT but Mrs BTB had the final say and thought that the GC would be better for ferrying around her then semi-invalid father. We had a good friend who was a C/P/J dealer at the time and he also could have gotten me a Dodge product with some extra work and phenegaling. The only 2dr they had was the Avenger and the interior was too confining & kind of blah.

#408 Beentherebefore, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  9. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

In the early - mid 80s I had a 2 dr. Reliant! Surprisingly roomy!!

Daily drivers for me have evolved to embrace all the Caravan has to offer.
    I like doors and lots of them, for my daily drivers. Matter of practicality.

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Photo of Ray Elder's winged Dodge Daytona going through tech @ Riverside in 1970 (shared from Pinterest).

Ray Elder going thtrough tech #@ Riverside 1970.jpg

After tech came track time. Here is a great photo (being offered on e-Bay) of Ray's car in action approaching turn #1 @ the track in Jan, 1970.

Ray Elder's winged car @ Riverside 1970.jpg

11. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

They found that the nose & wing were useful, even on a road course, when Gurney and Isaac tested the "88" there in Dec. 1969.

12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Probably helped down Riverside's very long back straight (I posted a picture of it a few days ago on the NHRA historical thread) but they were not an advantage in the "esses", particularly when trying to "thread the needle" in traffic. It was almost impossible to determine where the nose of the car was. Many of the winged Mopar drivers ended up bashing in the noses, then overheating, and then blowing their motors (Ray Elder was one of them). I remember Bobby Allison had a distinctly low tech solution on the nose of his winged car - an old fashioned radio antenna mounted on one of the front corners that could be pulled out enough that he could see it from the cockpit.

13. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

They found lap times decreased, even in the corners, because of down force.
    Here's a poor pic of Isaac at Riverside for testing.
    Bobby Isaac at Riverside, testing the 88, december 1969.jpg

Beentherebefore likes this.
  14. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Almost defies logic to bring a package to the race that is less than optimal but I assume that Chrysler wanted to make a big splash with their winged package. Seeing those things in action on a road course was something to behold and they certainly got the attention of the spectators which is the whole point of factory backed racing.

#414 Beentherebefore, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  15. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Indeed, wing cars even helped at Dover!

16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Interesting history of one of the top running West Coast winged cars, that of Dick Bown...............

Dick Bown winged car purchase article.jpg

Dick Bown's winged car in shop.jpg

The car was ready for the Riverside "Falstaff 400" in June, 1970
    [​IMG]

Dick Bown's Winged car leaving Riverside pits.jpg

Dick Bown qualified 6th with this car which was a lot better than the 39th place he started in when he brought a "Brand C" car to Riverside for the January race.

Bown's car in action during the race;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He ended up losing a wheel from all the off-track excursions and finished 25th.

Photo of Bown's Superbird racing @ a Winston West road course up in B.C., Canada.

Dick Bown's winged car in Canada.jpg

After the road races, the nose came off..................

Dick Bown's Superbird nose piece.jpg

Dick Bown won 6 Winston West short track races with the stock Plymouth RR nose piece in the 1970 season. He finished 6th in points even though he did not run in all the races.

Dick Bown's '70 short tarck car.jpg

17. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Looks like the Bird back glass is still there! "A" pillar moldings, too! :cool:

18. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I'm not sure when that road race in Canada was held so the Superbird package switch happened at least once during the season, besides the Riverside races. I believe that I saw a picture of the car in Superbird trim at a short track race but I can't recall where right now. I also vaguely recall seeing the car race @ Ascot Park (1/2 mile dirt) with standard RR nose but with the wing mounted in the rear.

19. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Here is a not-so-great shot (shared from Pinterest) of the car at Riverside in Jan, 1971 when, obviously the wing and nose had to be removed. It looks like Nascar still allowed the Bird black glass but I can't make it out for sure. I didn't make it out to Riverside for early practice that year so I didn't get any good photos of the car like I did in '70.

Dick Bown in Riverside pits '71.jpg

Here is a shot of the car a few weeks later running at the Ontario Motor Speedway (2 1/2 mile oval);

Dick Bown @ Ontario 1971.jpg

20. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

That rear pic shows a standard back glass.