Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Insight returns for the Detroit auto show!

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by redriderbob, Dec 26, 2017.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

The Honda Insight returns for the Detroit auto show
    This third-gen Insight hybrid will be positioned above the Civic
    December 20, 2017

[​IMG]

Honda is resurrecting the Insight nameplate -- a five-passenger gasoline-electric hybrid sedan with a new profile -- to be slotted above the Civic and will show a prototype at the Detroit auto show next month.

The all-new Insight will feature Honda's latest two-motor hybrid system and will be launched in the U.S. in the summer as the newest electrified vehicle in the Honda lineup, the company said Tuesday.

Henio Arcangeli Jr., general manager of the Honda Division, said the next Insight was developed to provide ample interior space and best-in-class performance "without the typical tradeoffs."

The Insight, introduced in 1999, was America's first gasoline-electric hybrid vehicle, with an EPA highway rating of 70 mpg. The second-generation, five-door Insight debuted in 2009 with more interior space and functionality.

Honda said it undertook a new approach with the Insight's latest styling, packaging, premium features and performance to appeal to mainstream-car buyers.

It will provide fuel economy that is competitive with other compact hybrid models.

"Honda to slot third-gen Insight hybrid above Civic" originally appeared in Automotive News on 12/19/2017

Read more: The Honda Insight returns for the Detroit auto show (at http://autoweek.com/article/detroit-auto-show/honda-plans-revive-insight-detroit-auto-show#ixzz52ONuWK6i )

aldo90731 and jerseyjoe like this.
  2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

3. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

The rear looks like the rear of the Chevy Impala.
    The front? Can no one design a good looking front end anymore?

jerseyjoe likes this.
  4. moparnut72

Supporter

The infotainment center looks like a tablet perched on the dash. High end German car makers are notorious for it.
    kk

jerseyjoe and ScramFan like this.
  5. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

More like the Malibu to me!

[​IMG]
    Malibu

[​IMG]
    Insight
    [​IMG]
    Impala

6. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Looks like a Civic sedan with Accord design cues.

7. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

This is their problem......they already have Civic Hybrids and Accord Hybrids. Where does the Insight fit in?

I am wondering if this is just to showcase the new hybrid setup and there will be no Insight produced.

Stéphane Dumas and JavelinAMX like this.
  8. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

It doesn't make any sense to me either, unless it is just a showcase, like you said.

9. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

IIRC the old Insight was smaller than the Civic. Doesn't make sense to build this extra medium car. Especially one that looks so much like the Accord. Unless Honda's getting a lot of heat about the styling of the current Civic. That happened in 2012 and they had to hurry up and come up with a better looking Civic.

10. DrMark

DrMark Member

They stole the chrome strip off of the DT Ram!

ScramFan likes this.
  11. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective
    Level 2 Supporter

12. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I like this car. I've always liked the Insight since the way back machine.

Because they already have the Acura line, perhaps they will build this as a seminal 3rd Honda Brand - but one of Electric, Hybrid and FuelCell marques*. Inspired by Tesla, even though Honda was on the Bleeding Edge back in the day.

To leverage their Honda model nomenclature, imagine ' ERV ' branded models with Insight as a spearhead.

* - They've got quite a few to fill-out the portfolio from the start.

#12 JavelinAMX, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    jerseyjoe and AvengerGuy like this.
  13. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The Civic Hybrid was discontinued after 2015.

#13 DarkSky, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  14. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

I used to love Honda, my parents had a 2000 Accord EX Sedan that had over 200,000 miles before they got rid of it. My uncle has owned three Elements, one CR-V, two Ridgeline (1st generation) and one new Ridgeline (2nd generation). Honda builds good quality stuff... but the first and second gen Insights were ugly. Honda has struggled with building exciting and stylish product lately. I do like this better than the new Accord which looks close to it. I just think Honda Automobiles has lost its magic touch from the early 2000s.

Motorcycle wise, they are still one of the top-2... why do you think my screen nane is redriderbob? Ride Red! Well I used to... lol

15. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

aldo90731 likes this.
  16. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

They are all looking identical from the rear, I have been noticing that for awhile.

17. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I believe that aerodynamics is to blame for most cars looking the same anymore, the search for MPG has left only the front end treatment open for designers. IMHO most designs are over wrought on the front and bland for the rest of the car, the new Camry being the biggest offender. Thankfully FCA has kept this problem under control.

JavelinAMX and aldo90731 like this.
  18. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Depending on final price, the more mainstream design is likely to boost Insight’s appeal.

There normally is a $3,000 jump for a hybrid powertrain. If Honda can narrow the difference down to a $1,500-$2,000 jump, it has a winner in its hands.

19. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Indeed. Despite the newfound love for EVs in the industry, EVs are still too vulnerable in situations that divert from the norm, and electricity storage is going to remain a key hurdle for widespread adoption by consumers.

In the medium term, hybrid technology remains the most viable solution for the vast majority of consumers.

FCA is smart to be betting on hybrids with Pacifica, Wrangler, and likely more to come.

#19 aldo90731, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  20. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I'm well aware we're on an FCA-centered website, and we're talking about the recently revealed updated Honda Insight, however ...

Per your statement ( the need for a better pricing target for Insight ), from Honda's point of view, they've got someone hot on their tail and it is an accomplished manufacturer already having found a sweet-spot in the Hybrid/EV market :

1st -
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afvzcp2YjGk

2nd -
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHwlZZhkWGU

Pricing will be difficult for Honda once you see reviews and Lease/Sales deals available for these models. Not being a Hybrid Maven, myself, I'll definitely be looking at one of these vehicles - even if only to slake my own curiosity.

FCA will likely be facing an uphill slog with such models as these now available ( and these will have a Plug-in and Fuel Cell stable-mate in short order for 2018 ). Late-to-the-game Hybrids from FCA, also, are facing stiffening competition even during the roll-out of their (FCA's) first serious effort.

These two videos, taken together, represent 60 minutes of your time if you watch each the whole way through.

#20 JavelinAMX, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018