Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Insight returns for the Detroit auto show!

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by redriderbob, Dec 26, 2017.

1. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

For people looking solely at the looks of this new Honda Insight, I think you are missing the boat. This would be a 3rd generation Insight, and it finally looks much more like a conventional automobile. I'm not so sure that everybody likes to be different, so I would expect it to do better sales-wise. As a matter of fact, I don't much care for the looks of the Civic and am just OK with the new Accord which I am just starting to see on the road. If I wanted or needed a hybrid, this Insight seems like one that I'd consider. And, actually, I'm curious to learn more about it. As we all know, if we currently want or need a compact or mid-sized sedan, we are forced to look outside FCA. If we are price-constrained. Admittedly, I'd love to get a new Giulia.

#21 AvengerGuy, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    aldo90731 likes this.
  2. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Toyota had been struggling to move Prius PHEVs —now Prius Prime. The price jump of $10,000 to $15,000 from regular Prius to PHEV was too steep, with the main gain being a 15-mile range on purely electric power. So the value proposition was clearly off.

But Toyota becomes a bit stubborn and arrogant when it comes to doing research on Prius and environmental topics. They go in with strongly held preconceptions they seem unable to shake off despite clear evidence in the data to the contrary. Which is how they ended up with current Prius design —and with Mirai.

By surveying existing Prius owners, among other things Toyota took away that those considerering a Prius wanted to “stand out”. But I have learned over the years that, whenever I ask anyone seriously considering a Toyota about matters of style and design, might as well ask a dog to make a croissant.

Prius has been like a Wrangler for dorks: unique and without real competition. But that’s likely to change: between stable fuel prices and new competition from Hyundai and Honda, Toyota will find it was a horrid —pun intended— mistake to make Prius so f-ugly.

#22 aldo90731, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Erik Latranyi likes this.