Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horizon Interior Water Leak

Discussion in 'L: Horizon/Omni, Rampage, etc' started by cadman777, Aug 9, 2016.

1. cadman777

cadman777 Active Member

Hey All,

Okay, this guy's Horizon is a repeat repeat repeat mess.

Today, a week after sealing his doors and windows w/new gaskets and channels, he comes back w/water on the passenger front floor.

The carpet is soaked. Thing is, it's been raining almost non-stop since Sunday. This is perfect weather for checking whether or not I did a good job on the door seals and window channels. Turn's out I did!

I took up the carpet, and found a definite leak coming straight down from behind the A/C box at about the middle of the glove box (going from right to left).

Can someone tell me what may be leaking (if there's something common for these models)?

I'm pretty sure it's not the A/C drain tube.

I'm trying to save time by not having to discover myself through removing the entire dash board and heater box.

One more thing: The windshield body-inset is rusted through just along the visible edge of the bottom window trim, right about at that location. The thing that confuses me is there are a couple small drain holes under the trim piece on the step of that windshield channel, so that tells me this is supposed to be able to handle water.

There are no signs of water collecting in the cowl trough area where the wiper motor is located, so nothing is rising above the air intake dam on the passenger side.

Is it possible the water is backing-up in that tight channel between the cowl and windshield inset, and not finding it's way down the drain along the rear inner front fender? That fender area is totally clogged w/leaves and 'compost'.

Not sure, and don't want to waste time taking everything apart to find it's not that.

Thanx!

#1 cadman777, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Could be that the drains for the cowl are clogged with leaves, pine needles, etc, and the water has no place to go except in the car. Open the door and check the cowl drain openings on the body near the door hinges for debris.

3. cadman777

cadman777 Active Member

Thanx Bob.
    I thought the drains were inside the inner fender.
    Makes it much easier to look where you say.
    Will let you know how it shakes-out.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

This is an older thread with a similar issue.
    See the linked pictures I posted.
    My Rampage's leak

5. cadman777

cadman777 Active Member

Hey, thanx for the link!

FYI: I did a search in here before opening a new thread, but didn't get any hits with "water leak".
    Any tips on how to prevent "no hits" in the future?

The 3rd pic shows the face of the sheetmetal where there are 2 factory holes on this car.
    They are about 6" in from left and right, and look like factory holes that were never used.
    All the trim clips are on, and none are missing.
    Does that window channel have to be completely sealed to prevent leaks?
    If so, why the 2 factory holes?
    If so, then can I assume that the thing that is causing the leak is a 1.5" x .25" rust hole on the upper edge of that inset?

Also, this car doesn't have any 'drip edge' on the cowl dam where air enters the air box.
    Doesn't look like it ever had anything there from factory. Is that normal for this car?

One more thing:
    What have you done to fix holes in that area so close to the windshield?
    Did you weld a backer and then glass or bondo?
    Or something else?

Thanx for the input!

6. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

The leak is very often the lower right windshield channel rusted through.

Removing the windshield trim can expose the hole and it's common to fill the rusted
    area with windshield urethane rather than removing the windshield for a proper repair.

Also non factory A/C cars often didn't get the raised lip around the cowl air intake.

Thanks
    Randy

7. cadman777

cadman777 Active Member

Thanx Randy.
    So the hole is the problem.
    But the hole in this one is not in the lower right corner, it's about 15" in from the right.
    Also, why are there 2 factory drilled/punched holes in the same surface?
    Wouldn't they also leak?
    I like the idea of using the water-cure urethane.
    Maybe I'll get some and 'fill the hole'.