AF: Horsepower increase limits for charger GT | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horsepower increase limits for charger GT

Discussion in 'Performance' started by K Dog, Sep 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. K Dog

K Dog New Member

Looking for a safe horsepower increase limit that won't damage the engine. I have a 2020 GT currently with 300 HP and looking to mod to get to 400 without major mechanical changes.

2. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

You should have bought a hemi.

3. K Dog

K Dog New Member

For GT owners and the claim of a cap on the 300 hp stock, I will be posting baseline dynos and document changes and hp increases as measured on a dyno. First mod will be a cool air intake, th hen a comparison of a pro tune and tuner chip comparison.

4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The factory intake is already a cold air intake. Some cheap aftermarket intake systems suck in more warm air than the factory set up.

Doug D, K Dog and DC-93 like this.
  5. K Dog

K Dog New Member

Thanks Valiant! Would abetter filter such as a K&N help? Thoughts?

6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Only if you want more crap going into your engine. K&N's are not all that great at filtering. Best to stay with the factory set up. It's about as efficient as you can get in regards to filtering and cool air intake.

Probably the cheapest way to increase hp would have been to buy one with a Hemi (though it doesn't quite have 400 hp). GT is AWD, right? The GT's did not have the Hemi option so transplanting a Hemi would be a major modification.

I would suggest adding a turbo, but I don't know if there are any kits and it would probably void the warranty.

Also last I knew, FCA has made it real hard to modify with tuner chips. And, yes, they can tell if you ever done it.

DC-93 likes this.
  7. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

You're not going to like the answers you get.

The old days of slapping parts on to gain power are over. The easiest and cheapest way to get more power is to cut your losses and buy the hemi car.

Dave Z and DC-93 like this.
  8. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Ripp supercharger has lots of YouTube coverage for the v6. Most forced induction kits are 7k to start. This usually doesn’t include tuning, which would require to unlock your pcm. The 3.6 is not built for boost. Any more than 6lbs is playing with fire. You could put a cam in it, although I don’t know what is available. Again the tune is key here, you could blow up your engine if it’s wrong either way.
    Don’t let anyone tell you you are wrong. Work with what you’ve got. The GT package is very slick, and a unique place To start. 400 whp might be the absolute limit before drivetrain needs attention. And would be enough to embarrass a 392.

K Dog likes this.
  9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The 3.6L has 4 cams. It is already 'tuned' for optimum performance, driveability, fuel economy, emissions and reliability.
    Any tampering or modifications would void your powertrain warranty.
    I would wait on this.
    NOx injection systems are another horsepower boost trick. A lot less than $7 grand, but only comes into play at WOT.

Dave Z and sickboy like this.
  10. sickboy

Fully agree. 3 years/36000 miles. I’m past 3 years now, and am weighing options myself. Leaning towards hellion twin turbo kit. But wouldn’t try it under warranty. As far as nitrous, I am not a fan, but it will be the quickest, easiest, cheapest way to add power. Also probably the easiest to put back to stock if needed.

#10 sickboy, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2020
    DC-93 and ImperialCrown like this.
  11. World14

World14 New Member

Mopar does offer a replacement CAI kit for the 3.6 Chargers (P#: 77070045AB), but it probably doesn't add any horsepower or anything of that nature.
    To be honest, the thing I would worry about along with the motor (of which, as sickboy said, the 3.6 doesn't really like boost) is the transmission too. The 850RE can handle about 368ft-lbs of torque. You probably won't be at that number if your goal is just 400hp, but it's always good to know what your stuff can handle.

sickboy likes this.
  12. World14

World14 New Member

The RIPP supercharger just crests the torque input by a whole 8 foot pounds, but that's probably the best your gonna do, and that kits $5,800, without tax.

13. sickboy

World14 is correct. There are ZERO gains From a CAI. Most any car already is CAI from factory. It’s common to say CAI and cat back for gains. The only thing you will gain is noise. Most cars are fast enough, and noise gives them the feeling of speed. Which is fine. But the goal here is a target hp. You will need more oxygen and fuel to create more hp. Forced induction, nitrous, more fuel/ higher octane is really those only hope. 3.6 is your limiter here. Seeing as the pentastar is not built for boost, I’d say nitrous is the safer bet “yikes!”
    The trans will not just blow up. It could, but will most likely slip an burn the clutches. And then you are rewarded with the opportunity to build it stronger. The drive shaft Rear end and half shafts should be stout enough to haNdle your goal
    I’m in the same boat. I’d like to add more to an optimized system. without Blowing it up. Am I willing to pay as much to build what I have or trade what I have for what I wanted with an extra payment. Or be happy with what I have

DC-93 and ImperialCrown like this.
  14. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

When I worked at Chrysler Engineering developing engines for over 40 years, all engines were over designed to absorb extra HP from add on components or year to year changes.

Dave Z, DC-93 and sickboy like this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I would look forward to the tuner chip comparison. I will say that the main problem I have with the 3.6 is not its peak power but the slow transmission downshifting; the more power your engine has, the less it needs fast downshifts, but the faster they are programmed to happen... fastest downshifts on the 392 and Hellcat.

rapidtrans and sickboy like this.
  16. sickboy

Pedal commander? As I understand, throttle response won’t make any faster, just feel that way. Could be wrong though. Also shift harshness. Just feels faster.
    What ever is done, please document and post. All information will be valuable to the next enthusiast

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

It's the shift speed. Nothing to do with throttle response. Chrysler published the speed of shifting years back, it is tuned for each model; the more power you have, the faster the shifts. No control over it.

18. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

See if they'll reprogram it to 2021 Pursuit specs (model code 28A, AHB package).

The other half of it is they're adaptive - drive in a relatively sane fashion, it'll respond as a mild-mannered gentleman in a grey suit. Drive it ... Zippily ... and it'll be a partner in crime. Or crime fighting, whatever the case may be.

19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I like that idea... though I doubt the 2021 Pursuit specs are compatible with the 2013 computer!

20. sickboy

How about the canned tunes available on the market? I had a diablo on my 5 speed. Seemed to transform that transmission