AF: Hot-but-not-Hellcat 426-Hemi-powered Ram TR on its way? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot-but-not-Hellcat 426-Hemi-powered Ram TR on its way?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Spy photographer Brian Williams has what he claims are the first shots of a Ram Rebel TR mule, a non-supercharged companion to the upcoming Hellcat-powered TRX.

[​IMG]

Brian wrote that this truck, using a Limited body (the TRX mule borrows a Big Horn body), is packing a naturally aspirated V8. He affirmed the rumor that it will have a 7-liter V8, created by boring out the 6.4 Hemi used in heavy-duty pickups and, somewhat differently tuned, in high-performance Grand Cherokees, Durangos, Challengers, and Chargers.

The rims are aftermarket pieces, and the frame rail support/bracket (which extends all the way to the rear doors) suggests that the Ram needs some extra support to handle the increased power.

The Rebel TRX concept was shown at the State Fair of Texas back in 2016. The TR, while not quite as potent as the 707-horsepower TRX, will reportedly generate 520 horsepower and 525 pound-feet of torque from 7 liters — the magical 426 cubic inches. It’s reputed to have an official debut sometime in 2020, which is too far off for many fans — who really, really want to see Ram wallop the Ford Raptor.

[​IMG]

Will there be a new 426 Hemi? It’s possible, though it would be a little confusing to some. There are many rumors around it, and Allpar broke news of a forthcoming Hemi redesign years ago (really, two Hemi redesigns, one covering the current and aging — but still more than competitive — 5.7 V8).

One can cast some doubt on the 426 rumors as wishful thinking supported party by a Mopar-rumor echo-chamber; that much boring-out might merit a new block, a hefty expense, while FCA’s general rule seems to be downsizing motors rather than upsizing them. The 6.2 Hellcat is smaller than the 6.4, and the new 2.0 four-cylinder is much smaller than the 2.4; the forthcoming straight-six is reportedly just under 3 liters, well below the Pentastar’s 3.6 liter standard size.

On the other hand, stranger things have happened — like a supercharged Hemi pushing out 797 horsepower.

Read the whole post here.

2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Gonna get interesting!!!

13” travel
    6” wider track
    2.5” higher ride height
    35” tires

Going to be one hell of a truck no matter which engine is chosen.

Mike

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

The travel is pretty amazing.

TripleT, ramajama and VoiceOfReason like this.
  4. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

Might have a 15 Laramie and a scat pack for sale:D

5. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

It’s the only thing giving me pause about buying a Rebel 12 this year. Well, that and I can’t get the Rebel in blue....

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  6. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

Heck If they sold that truck exactly as it looks now (assuming the price wasn't exorbitant) they'd sell every one they could make. But would definitely need a 426 badge on it somewhere to let others know what just happened.

ramajama and VoiceOfReason like this.
  7. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

I really wish to have 426 within my next Trail Rated Jeep, not with the trackhawk or SRT though.

In regard the 5.7 version, aren’t they going to update it heavily?

8. Detonator Yellow

Detonator Yellow Well-Known Member

How do we know that's a 7.0?

9. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

The Wagoneer and Grand Wagoner will be based on the DT.
    I don’t see their Trailhawk or Deserthawk being that far of Rebel or TR.

10. Mike V.

You are welcome to assume it has something else under the hood.

Personally, I have no problem believing that it is “powered by SRT”. ;)

Mike

11. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

There's been some question if the 5.7 might get a small bump up, but I don't believe there are any plans for a major revision. Long term is the 5.7 goes away with a new inline 6 replacing it. The bigger displacement Hemi's (6.2 and up) will continue in some form.

Tony K, HEMI345 and VoiceOfReason like this.
  12. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

Yes, they will.
    ;)

HotCarNut likes this.
  13. Detonator Yellow

Detonator Yellow Well-Known Member

But why do you, of all people believe it's a 7.0?

14. Mike V.

Well, I did not personally measure the bore and stroke... so... I guess you got me.

Mike

#14 Mike V., Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  15. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

*sarcasm* You mean that you haven't personally been on the FCA development team for every single new vehicle and powerplant laser measuring and then leaking all the info?!?!?! */sarcasm*

@Detonator Yellow - this is the kind of BS that drove other insiders away from this site. You're basically asking for photos and development details that could cost people their jobs. I get wanting to know "for sure" about upcoming developments, but there's a line that can't be crossed in terms of info provided. There's also an appropriate way to ask about information and you're never going to know everything that you want. There have been PLENTY of hints and pieces dropped about the 426 program. Just do a simple search, assemble the pieces, and realize that nothing is ever official until it's announced AND in a showroom.

Tony K, TripleT, GasAxe and 1 other person like this.
  16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I wonder how we know the Hellcat would be over 650 horsepower. And called Hellcat.

(Not saying yes or no to this particular one.)

#16 Dave Z, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    VoiceOfReason and HotCarNut like this.
  17. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Curious, would 2020/21 coincide with an update to the RAM DT.

With the competition being what it is, I wouldn't be surprised that they update the RAM 1500 in about that time frame.

Wil

18. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

Possible, but, there are plenty of things going on at Ram to keep them in the headlines.
    2018 - DT introduced
    2019 - HD refreshed
    2020 - TR/TRX
    2021 - HD update introduced
    There is plenty in the pipeline to keep Ram at the forefront. In between all that, you have the special editions, and paint/sticker option changes and new releases, etc. I'd be surprised to see a DT refresh prior to 2021, but I have been surprised before.

19. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

I don't need pictures, just a date when a 426/8 speed Power Wagon is going to be released so I can talk to my dealer about trade in value:) Seriously though, I try to respect the insider information that's posted and not abuse their patience/time. That said, I do also wish some of the insiders would lighten up a bit and understand the difference between those who are just excited about upcoming products vs those who are really just trolling.

20. fast98dodge

fast98dodge Totally Spent
    Level 2 Supporter

It makes sense for them to introduce a larger displacement V8 in the trucks first.

Tony K likes this.