AF: How Bad's the Gouging Where YOU Live? | Page 36 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Bad's the Gouging Where YOU Live?

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by chuzz, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Just filled up with regular at a Murphy's in Round Rock for $1.619/gallon. That's about the bottom end of prices there; $1.659 is more common, but the majority is over $1.70, and in smaller towns, over $1.80. According to gasbuddy, the HEB where I filled up in Bryan the other day for $1.609 is now $1.789; lowest in town is reportedly Murphy's, at $1.729.

2. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Was $1.85 today at a BP in Brooklyn, MI.

3. chuzz

chuzz Allpar Legacy

Man, you guys are killing me. I was in Alabama a couple of weeks ago and average there was $1.75. Cost of living in FL is high, people. DO NOT MOVE HERE UNLESS YOU HAVE DEEP POCKETS.

DC-93 likes this.
  4. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

DOWN to $1.79 near Brooklyn, MI., on the Labor Day weekend.

Sorry, chuzz.....

chuzz likes this.
  5. HOTPIG175

HOTPIG175 Active Member

No doubt, but the Government recently commissioned an investigation into gas prices here, and, shock, horror, disbelief, just before the findings were released, prices dropped from around $2.24 per litre to what we're paying now.

6. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

It is always surprising how things get adjusted just before an audit.

7. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Odd... We didn't see the usual holiday price jump. We've been steady at $1.97.

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Went down 4 cents here before the holiday weekend.

9. chuzz

chuzz Allpar Legacy

Well, the greedy here just keep wanting more and more. What more can I say? LOL

10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Pennsylvania has a very unfair gasoline tax. The gas tax partially funds the Pennsylvania State Police, which is fine. However, many localities choose to use the PA State Police instead of creating a local agency. These localities don't have to pay extra to the state. Those of us living in areas with our own police force subsidize the other localities.

When I had land in West Virginia, I always bought my gas in West Virginia or Ohio when I traveled. I sold that land and the camper on it earlier this year. And around the end of this month, my Pennsylvania hose will be sold. I'll be a Georgia resident again, with the lower gas tax there.

11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

We've made a couple of trips to Buffalo (have a few cousins there). We usually refueled in Du Bois as a full tank in my Ram was borderline getting all the way to Buffalo - it would probably be running on fumes. Trouble is MD and NY taxes are almost as bad as PA. Best I could do would be to top off just before leaving VA, but I would still have to fill up in NY before returning home.

12. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Other choice is to push your car around! :):):)

13. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

From Texas to Michigan Monday and yesterday, the lowest I paid for regular was $1.609 in Tyler, Tx, and the highest was $1.719 in Hanson, Ky. Arrived in Indy just in time for a local price war, when 2 stations on W. 10th west of the loop dropped to $1.629. It was $1.679 in Toledo, so I filled up there rather than in Detroit's western suburbs, which generally remain 30 cents/gallon higher at their lowest, though more of them are under $2. Just checked Toledo, where prices at many stations along Alexis are at least a quarter/gallon higher than yesterday. Prices are reportedly set to rise to a similar level in Indy.

At the station in Tyler, diesel was only a nickel per gallon higher than regular. The start of a trend, or an aberration? Everywhere else I looked, diesel was from 30 to 60 cents per gallon higher than regular.

14. Doug D

Within 2 miles of the house, prices are $1.99-$2.05 for 87 octane. Mid-grade (89 octane) is $2.30-$2.41.

15. chuzz

chuzz Allpar Legacy

I have no idea what's going on with gas prices around here. Last Monday, I paid $1.93 at the local Murphy. Yesterday, it was $2.17. I give up trying to figure what does or doesn't impact the gas prices. Three weeks ago I was in Alabama and paid an average of $1.75. I KNOW it's still a lot cheaper than a year ago, so will just go with the flow. It is what it is and I'm not going to comment anymore on the higher prices in FL as compared to other states. I'll be an ex-FL resident in 25 days and am anxiously counting the days.

16. Doug D

$1.99 to $2.08 here. With Murphy's on the low end and Shell on the high end. Mid-grade ranges from $2.29 to $2.44. Still lower than prices before the pandemic.

Chuzz - might be the affects of the active hurricane season we have had this year. Any time a storm forms in the gulf there is a good chance the rigs have to shut down and evacuate.

Can't really compare prices between states since the gas tax varies from state to state.

17. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

The last major hurricane was Laura which occurred the last week of Aug, 2020. Local gasoline prices increased anticipating an impact / shortage from shut downs of Gulf of Mexico energy rigs. But the shortage never occurred because USA refiners have only been running at 70 - 80 % of utilization capacity since late spring. Temporary shut downs of rigs in the Gulf with such lowered refinery utilization has little or no long term effect on fuel prices.

The dramatic shut down of the U S economy in March and April of this year and the dramatic decline in air travel is the major reason refiners have processing units stopped. Demand for fuel, especially jet fuel, is not there to match capacity. So wholesale gasoline prices have dropped dramatically since March and recovered somewhat.

The retail gasoline pricing volatility being seen in Florida has probably more to do with local supply and demand and retailers trying to increase revenue in the troubled economy. Here is a link to a chart that shows wholesale gasoline prices (before any taxes) over recent history.

Gasoline | 2005-2020 Data | 2021-2022 Forecast | Price | Quote | Chart | Historical (at https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/gasoline )

18. HanksHemi

HanksHemi Active Member

In central South Carolina it ranges from $1.73 to $1.80

DC-93 likes this.
  19. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Paid $1.89 for regular north of Detroit on Sunday at a BP station.

20. HanksHemi

HanksHemi Active Member

Noticed new deliveries today and pump prices down a little $1.69 to $1.73. Until this year SC had cheapest gas in USA (16.75 tax) thanks to a rolling gas tax hike of 2 cents a year we are now paying more with more increases down the road. The new gas tax will top out a a total of 28.75 per gallon. My guess by then we get another one, who know what it will be then.