AF: How customer service should work | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How customer service should work

Discussion in 'Cherokee, Liberty, Nitro' started by valiant67, Feb 20, 2018.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I took the Durango in for an oil change yesterday. A young family was behind me in line (mother, father and a 3? year old). Lady is talking about how this time she's had to add oil several times since her last oil change but never had to before.

We all schlep off to the horrid waiting area. But get this - in 15-20 minutes the service writer comes in and tells her that he's already contacted FCA, a replacement engine has been approved under warranty, Enterprise is on the way with a rental Caravan for her. All she has to do is complete the Enterprise paperwork, the rental is covered at no cost to her. The engine is expected in by Wednesday and she should be back in her Cherokee within the week.

I didn't ask her the mileage when we were talking, but it was a 2015 2.4 Cherokee. The point isn't that the engine failed, but how nicely she was treated. She didn't have to gripe and complain because the Jeep started using oil. The tech simply found the engine had issues (I'm guessing blowby or some other obvious sign of failure, there wasn't time to do a compression test).

By the time my oil change was done and my Durango ran through their car wash, the family was being shown the Caravan by the Enterprise rep.

RonGD, Morty, UN4GTBL and 5 others like this.
  2. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

And that is all part for the equation for the perception of quality.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Wow! That's awesome, Mark. Is that a dealership you regularly visit?

4. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

good dealer

5. hemirunner426

hemirunner426 Well-Known Member

I know they are out there..

6. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

4 out of the 5 I have done business with on a regular basis have been great to work with. The fifth one didn't survive the great purge. The dealer that fixed the screw up done by the one bad one not only fixed the van at no charge, they apologized profusely (even though they didn't do the original work), gave me a loaner car to use while they were fixing my van, and threw in an oil change because they saw that it was due for a change (didn't charge me for that either). Guess where I kept taking my van for servicing?

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

We experience similar treatment with our 2010 Journey. Back a few years ago I took it in to have two recalls performed - airbag module flash update and fix for the ignition (insert a donut to keep the key snug). Anyway - the ignition portion was done rather quickly, but 90 minutes after I had dropped it off, the SW comes looking for me. Seems the unit they were using to flash the airbag module had a short and fried the airbag module. They had replaced the module, but fried the 2nd one as well. At that point they realized there was a problem with the unit doing the flash up date, but they did not have anymore modules in stock and couldn't get one until Monday (this was a Saturday). So they were putting us in a rental from Enterprise - they would pay so long as it was a CDJR product. Well, Enterprise only had three CDJR products - two Rams and a Dakota. Opted for one of the Rams - it was a 2010 Ram 1500 w/4.7L - it rode better than my '06, but I still preferred the Hemi in my '06.

96Dodge4x4 likes this.
  8. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

That's awesome!

9. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Well-Known Member

Many years ago, the starter went out in my Shelby Charger and it was just too cold for me to deal with it. In a weak moment, I took it to one of the local dealerships. They replaced it and, just over 3 months later, it failed. I crawled under and found that, of the three bolts that attach a 2.2 starter, they'd installed only two as the third is incredibly hard to line up and reinstall. Plus, there's a bracket with a fourth bolt that stabilizes the nose of the starter. They'd sawn the bracket off to make it easier to get the starter in. As one of the two (of four) bolts they'd reinstalled had loosened, the starter chewed itself up.

I fixed it myself and went back to the dealership. I told the GM what had transpired. He said they only warranted their labor for 90 days and it wasn't their problem. When I again pointed out that his tech had intentionally cut off a bracket from my car, he suggested that I either sue them or f$%^ myself. It wasn't worth my time to deal with small claims court. Somehow, this dealership survived the purge. Anytime anyone mentions they're looking for a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram, even though this GM is long gone, I tell them this story and suggest they shop elsewhere.

10. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

Couple of years back, daughter bought a used '06 charger from a local dealer. The first day, the check engine lamp came on. It did have a 90-day/3,000 miles warranty. She took it in and the sales rep flipped her keys to a brand new 200, no hassle. It took them a couple of days to track down and fix the problem (timing belt tensioner failed - she got a new timing belt, water pump, etc at no cost). The sales rep is now the sales manager.

JA Cumbo likes this.
  11. RonGD

RonGD Member

Wait....ran thru the car wash after an oil change. I had to ask for a car wash voucher after getting my oil changed and tire repair at the dealer yesterday

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yep, this dealer always washes after an oil change.
    It's not a good wash, but it knocks the salt and most of the dirt off.

13. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

My servicing dealer never washes my vehicles when I bring them in for service. Not that I truly mind. I'm kind of anal when it comes to washing my own vehicles.

RonGD likes this.
  14. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Took both cars in for oil changes today. The DGC's was the best experience...nice waiting area, friendly and courteous staff, and a Demon, a Hellcat, and a Trackhawk to drool over while I waited :cool:. Oh, and they washed it for me when they were done. The Aura's oil change wasn't so pleasant. Cramped waiting room with uncomfortable chairs, separate building from the showroom, so no easy window shopping, and a car wash token, so I could take my car through the car wash if I felt like it.

15. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

I had experience with two dealerships in my area. One I had worked for before returning to a major defense contractor. At the time I had one of the Bendix 10 equipt Grand Caravans and had already had a runaround from the other dealership on a pump replacement. Their other location had damn near destroyed the banjo bolt by rounding it off. I was able to find one in a nearby junkyard, who when they heard the story told me "take it, any time you can get over on xxxx it's great" when I went back and handed the service manager the bolt, he was not real happy. A few years later, it went again, but in the mean time I had purchased a pressure tester and service manual on eBay. I ran the tests and found, pump will not hold pressure, isolate, pressure stays up, book says, replace pump. I went to the dealership I had worked at's new location and took the van in, for various reasons they were not able to check it that day so I had my wife pick me up. The service waiting area is adjacent to the parts counter, so I went over to chat with the parts manger who had been a counter man when I worked there. He asked why I was there so I told him. The next day I got a call telling me there were other problems and I needed to come out there. The Dodge and Mercedes-Benz service areas are separated by a low wall, and one of the M-B techs I knew was right across from where my van was. When the tech and service adviser started telling me it had a modulator error (code it sets with almost any issue) and that had to be resolved first. I told him what I had determined and got a bit of the you don't understand. The M-B tech said, if he says he ran the pressure and leakdown test, you better believe him, I would. Surprisingly enough, the parts department "just happened" to have a pump on hand, parts manager had ordered it against my work order. I was very sorry when Chrysler pulled their franchise and left the other dealership open.

As a result when my 2003 T&C power liftgate stopped working below 60° F I was forced to go there, after 5 or 6 tries, numerous parts, which I purchased from their parts department and installed, one of which they even warranted, it was never properly repaired, I finally gave up, and told them I wasn't paying for a no-fix job and left. After we traded it elsewhere for a 2005 T&C with Stow-n-Go seats, the used car lot told me their tech fixed it, the twice replaced latch was not properly adjusted.

Now I live in an area where the nearest FCA dealer is also a Ford dealer and is an hour away. June will make 2 years since I traded the 05 on a 2011 Ford Flex. Poor service experience at the remaining dealer where I used to live and no local dealer coupled with fear that Chrysler may be as flakey as GM on service and parts for older vehicles got my wife concerned and there is a Ford dealer 5 miles up the road.

16. Matthew

Matthew Is pushing for progress!

I have always been happy with the service department at my local Dealer, they have a nice waiting area especially considering the dealer ship has been there since at least the 1960's. They have always been straight forward with me, and always have the shuttle there so if I have to drop my car off I can get where ever I want to be their service department is open 9 am till 8 pm but even if you go early the sales team will take your dope off and get you where you need to go in the shuttle. They are really nice about checking codes for free, and even resetting them, On my caliber I had a few times where it throw a check engine light because the gas cap did not seat quite right, and they pulled the code and reset it for free, just by walking out to where the car was parked. They have always also been straight forward about any service that was needed had very good inspections during oil changes and would warn you about basic maintenance that was coming up so that you could budget for it and make appointments easily too, instead of having to do it right now.

RonGD likes this.
  17. RonGD

RonGD Member

My dealer doesn't wash but provides a token if I want too. That works for me.

18. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Good stories! Seems like i’m usually behind a customer that comes in with an attitude. The “do you know who I am?” guy. And it seems the more up-scale the dealer the more of these guys I saw. Guess how his dealer experience would go if I worked the write-up desk.