AF: How Do I Fix This Leak? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Fix This Leak?

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by bguy, Nov 30, 2016.

1. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

On the 2011 Compass the scuff plate for the rear hatch has a recessed area in the middle for the strike plate. It's canted inward and has a slot through which the striker protrudes. Water and snow goes down into this recessed area slips past the striker and ends up in the spare tire well.
    There's no gasket there and there doesn't appear to be one.
    Further to this problem if I make a gasket and seal the area off, the water will build up in the recess and soak the latch when the gate is closed.
    I don't know what to do short of periodically mopping out the spare tire well.
    Any ideas?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

3. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

That's the first thing I looked at. The seal is complete and butted together nicely. Although I remember one time they'd put a little piece of rubber tubing in the joint?
    Next time you have a Caliber or Compass at your disposal just lift the spare tire cover and I guessing you'll find water down by the spare.
    The water goes around the striker and I'm not sure if there should be something to re direct it?
    The car is 400km away right now and it could be a week before I get to look at it in daylight and remove the scuff plate.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I would perform a water test to verify the water entry point. I have a similar PM-body Caliber. It would seem that it would be difficult for water to enter at the bottom and middle of the liftgate opening if the seal is butted OK.
    A garden hose at low pressure watering around the rear of the vehicle would simulate a rainfall while someone inside the vehicle could watch for water getting in. Removing the plastic sill plate trim and spare tire floor panel would give better access and visibility.
    I would more suspect a taillamp gasket or missing/unseated grommet for the water entry point. Looking for dried water trails might be visible without a water test.
    If water is puddling only at the striker, then the water leak may be into the liftgate door itself and draining out the bottom at the latch?

5. runfromcheney

runfromcheney Member

It's common for water to leak at that plug on top of the hatch opening right by the washer hose. It fills up the rear dome light and drips down onto the cargo area. That's more than likely your leak. I have never seen the spare tire well fill up with water on a Compass that didn't have a known water leak. There's something wrong with your car, this isn't normal.

6. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

I think I have figured this one out. The leak is getting past hatch gasket. If you can imagine the shape of the hatch, it slopes to the bottom of the glass and then drops off vertical. So the water comes down the trench around the hatch and when the gasket turns down vertical it goes into the gasket channel that goes over the body lip, rides down to the bottom and leaks into the tire well along the horizontal part. It doesn't help that the Jeep is parked head up on about a 5 degree incline. I'm thinking more adhesive may cure it. Does anyone know what this stuff is? It's white.