Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important is that timing belt tool?

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by Dodgem's Dad, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Dodgem's Dad

Dodgem's Dad Member

It looks to me like a wrench with a weight on one one. Couldn't I just add a similar weight to an open end or box wrench? Is this significantly better than the 90 degree twist method? I looked over the posts here and so far I haven't come to any clear cut opinion to sway me one way or another.

The last work I did like this was on a 1928 Durant where the timing chain tension was adjusted by a pivot on the generator. I just pried until it sang its sweet song and then backed off a bit.

Thank you all.
    Again.
    And again...

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Never had a problem with the 90 degree twist method.

3. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

I was told to use a10" thumb wrench.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

5. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

In my experience, if the belt is centered on the sprocket after running the tension is just right.

Thanks
    Randy

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  6. Duner

Duner Active Member

Have not had any problems using the 90 degree twist method on my 85 2.2.

7. Rickorino

Rickorino Well-Known Member

Used belt twist method too. The belt is better to be "slightly" loose then too tight.

8. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

All the 2.2 timing belts I've done were on my non-AC L-bodies. I never bothered with messing with the alternator bracket/adjustment. I just popped off the crank pulley, swapped the belt. Putting it back, I'd get one crank pulley bolt started then roll the engine and start the rest of the bolts as they lined up. I hated the alternator belt adjustment on L-bodies.

I have one of those 2.2 belt tension adjustment tools. If you decide you want one, shoot me an offer.