AF: How is the Toyota Avalon a large car? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is the Toyota Avalon a large car?

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by voiceofstl, Aug 22, 2017.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

The Avalon looks almost exactly like the Camry, at most it might be a slightly stretched version of the camry platform.
    The Nisson Maxima is simlair to the Altima
    Question: Is Chyrsler the only large car company that has its own seperate large car platform?

2. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

3. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

It was more evident in the past that the Avalon was bigger then the Camry, but it is bigger inside as well as outside.

Here you can compare side by side through the years.

Camry
    Avalon

Chrysler is no the only car company to do that.

4. voiceofstl

The Impala is a stretched malibu and the Tarus will be replaced by a stretched Fusion [latform.

5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The exterior dimensions make no difference. What counts in the US is the interior volume. While Avalon is bigger than Camry both inside and in cargo, EPA classifies them both as midsize.

6. voiceofstl

I agree it is the interior size that is important. My point is that the Avalon is just a little bigger then the camry. In the past it was obvious that a Fury was much larger then a b body or a Impala vs a Malibu.
    It why alot folks are going with CUVs and SUVs,,,because a truly large car is no longer made.

7. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

The Avalon is a real disappointment behind the wheel...other than it has a peppy V6.
    After that all downhill and clearly they left the senior buyers behind as it has a rather stiff ride...much more than a 300.
    Its also not that quiet either and then you have lots of chrome trim around the dash that grabs the sun to blind you constantly.
    Add the old 70's digital clock Toyota has used since..well the 70's...and why someone would buy this over a 300 is quite baffling to me other than they just buy Toyota and don't test drive anything else.

wtxiceman likes this.
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

First Avalon with the Chevy Celebrity dash was very plush and quite large... interesting they would chase younger buyers.

9. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

I own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ - it is not a "stretched malibu", but it shares a platform with a Buick and Cadillac model.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Avalon was supposed to be the Japanese Impala, but Camry seems to be the Japanese Buick. Look in the church parking lots on Sunday. The elder church members that used to gravitate to Buicks are now in Camry.

11. valiant67

valiant67 ...

And nothing was worse than Chrysler, selling the same basic car as a compact (Dodge Aspen), midsize (Chrysler LeBaron) and full size (Chrysler Fifth Avenue). These cars, as 4 doors, all shared the same wheelbase.

12. voiceofstl

Your right about the so called large 80's Fifth Avenue. I think the Dodge spirit had more room.

13. voiceofstl

The impala is built on the Epsilon platform, the same as the mailbu

14. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

If you want a sedan with hiproom 60 inches or more check out the Bentley Silver Spur. A Toyota Century Royal probably has lots of hiproom too.

15. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

The 2014 (and later) Impala models are built on the Epsilon II platform, as a long wheel base vehicle. The Malibu is also built on this platform as a short wheel base vehicle. The Impala and Malibu are distinct, separate models (not one model "stretched").

Ford has the 2017 Expedition and Expedidton EL (a stretched version of the base model, using the same platform) and Chevrolet has the 2017 Tahoe and Suburban (a stretched version of the base model, using the same platform).

16. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Never had a problem getting in or out of any of them and I have owned quite a few. A lot easier than the new cars. Also most full size cars of today would be considered mid size in the past.

17. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

A Bentley is probably the only foreign car I like, but I'm a little short on funds:D

18. voiceofstl

My point is a "large" "full size" car should be obvisioly bigger then the mid size car, not just a hair bigger.
    Its one reason folks are going with cuv and suv's.

19. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Our church parking lot has 85% sedans on Sunday seems to be he peferred vehicle for this occasion. Quite a few are new.

20. voiceofstl

A good roomy large car from 10 years ago was the LHS, buick Lucerne 2008-09 Taurus