AF: How to disassemble outside mirror from shell? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to disassemble outside mirror from shell?

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by MoPar~Man, Mar 2, 2018.

1. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Active Member

I have the need to replace one of the outside rear view mirrors on my '00 300m. Well, technically not the entire mirror unit - just the plastic outer shell. The mirror and internal guts are probably fine.

I see that rock-auto sells 2 different mirrors - one with a 3-pin connector and one with what looks like a dual-row connector with about 12 contacts. My mirror has this dual-row of contact (but my mirror is not heated). The 3-wire mirror is selling for $30, the dozen-pin mirror for double or more.

I've removed 2 small torx-style screws from the back inside of my mirror, but there must be more to it because I still can't pull the mirror and guts out of the plastic shell. Is there some trick to removing the actual mirror to gain access to what-ever else is still holding this thing together? I'd rather just buy the cheaper mirror and swap the mechanism.

2. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Active Member

All right, after seeing some video's on this, it takes an unnerving amount of prying on the mirror to disengage the 4 small tabs holding it to the actuator / gimbal unit. I don't know how I managed to free it without breaking the tabs, but I did. Now here's what I don't get - there are a pair of wires connected to some sort of planar layer running behind the mirror glass. I assume this is a heating element? Which would be news to me, because I didn't think these were heated mirrors. There is no wavy-line heat symbol on the mirror side, and I don't have a heater switch anywhere in the car (that I'm aware of, and I've owned this thing for 18 years). The inner framework that the actuator is screwed to seems to be secured with a couple of rivets (?) which is why I couldn't pull it out of the outer shell. So if I get a regular 3-wire mirror, I would think that I should be able to swap in my actuator (with it's 8-pin connector) and re-use my existing glass mirror. Still want to know if this is heated glass or what the wires are for...

3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Those wires may be for the electro-chromatic 'dimming' of the mirror reflector, much like the inside rear-view mirror dimming.
    The mirror glass is serviceable, but the rest of the mirror isn't really meant to be serviced.
    I did take the driver side one on the Caliber apart to repair a cracked housing. The repair is holding, but in the field, the mirror assembly would have been replaced.
    Once the glass is out, you can get at the guts, but there isn't any part of the guts that are serviced separately.
    If the aftermarket mirrors aren't OEM, they may not be put together like anything the factory ones are like inside.

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I agree with IC. These are usually serviced as an assembly. My daughter needed to replace the driver's side mirror on her '05 Scion tA. Some idiot had bashed it with a baseball bat one night. Mirror was fine, but the entire assembly was smashed with it dangling from the door. She ordered a new assembly (about $70). It took me about 10-15 minutes to replace. Just three bolts and unplug the electrical connector. When checking for the part online, I never did see where I could have just ordered the assembly minus the mirror - every part listed was the complete assembly.

Even though there is no heat switch for the mirror, that doesn't mean it's not heated. Our Journey has heated mirrors, but the heat is only activated by using the defrost. There is no separate mirror heat switch. My '06 Ram 1500 has heated mirrors that are only activated by a separate heat switch.

5. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Active Member

I removed the inner framework piece and using epoxy to put the shell back together. Have some black 3M epoxy at work. Will put more on tomorrow and then should be ready to reassemble on Monday. I called a couple of junk yards and they wanted $70 - $80 for what they called the "heated" mirror, or "memory", might not have come from a 300m. Basically not much local junkyard choice, and the prices are absurd. I told them I can buy new at rockauto for that price - I don't think they cared. I guess they're in business to just sit on their old parts.

If the pair of wires I'm seeing are electrochromic dimming then I swear I've never noticed the effect. Were there mirrors (for 300m) that are both electrochromic and heated? Would they use 4 wires for that?

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

7. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Active Member

I'm looking at 8W-62-6 and the page right before it. Can't quite correlate what they show vs what I have. I have a cable that runs out of the mirror with a 10-pin connector on the exposed end. This makes a connection to a matching connector in the door. This 10-pin (or 10-position) connector has 9 wires - so 1 position is not used. However, on the other end of this cable, there are 10 wires - so one of the original 9 wires has been spliced into 2 wires. I believe they are a pair of yellow/black-stripe. That pair, along with 6 other wires, goes to a small 8-pin connector that plugs into the actuator. The diagram on page 8W-62-4 I think shows this actuator as having 7 wires running to it. The other 2 wires are black, perhaps a little larger than all the others, and they run to what is either a mirror heater or dimmer.

Something else about this whole 300m mirror situation - that some later model 300m had mirrors that would tilt down when the car is backing up. Was this implimented in the mirror - using more wires? Or was this done by the car computer (body control module?). Tangent -> Can an '01- '04 BCM be transplanted into a '00 ?

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I saw the tilt-down in Reverse in both LHS and 300m cars. It was a selection in the BCM with memory mirrors and only meant for European export DaimlerChrysler models.
    If you Google for 'Mirror tilt-down in Reverse', you will see that Porsche, Audi, Mercedes and BMW vehicles have this feature as well.

9. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Active Member

All right, the mirror is back on and working. The repair doesn't look too bad. I used 3M Scotchweld DP270 (black). As far as the heater wires (if that's what they are) going to the mirror, I cut the wires and re-soldered them directly to the terminals on the back of the glass. The original slide-on connectors looked pretty corroded.

ImperialCrown likes this.