AF: How to Fix a Falling Headliner? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Fix a Falling Headliner?

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Flying G, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Flying G

Flying G New Member

Greetings. Got a '96 B3500. The headliner is falling in & I'd like to fix it 'in situ' by gluing it back into place & not just using push pins. Anyone tried this? Any luck?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It is difficult to reglue the fabric when it is hanging upside-down. It is also difficult if the foam backing for the fabric is dry-rotted. It just won't hold and may not be a lasting repair.
    I have removed the headliner sections from the vehicle out the back doors and laid them on the ground, fabric-side up. If you can, remove the fabric from the backing. If you can't without tearing the backing, leave it in place and try 'spot gluing' the backing.
    There are generic aerosol headliner fabric adhesives (trim-stik?) at most parts stores that you can apply to the foam backing to reglue the fabric. Follow the instructions on the can. Take your time. Spray evenly. Spend time taking out wrinkles and let it dry before reinstalling.
    I did a Mustang headliner that had severe foam dry-rot and it would not hold up the headliner fabric. It kept falling down. We wound up just pulling the fabric out and leaving the foam backing in place. It didn't look particularly bad and never had a problem with falling fabric after that.

3. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

The only vehicle I had that happen was a 1991 GEO Prizm, after first moving to Tampa in 1998. My co-worker had his vehicle headliner fixed at a little shop a block away and told me to check i out. I did, and for $50. and 4 hours later, it was done perfect, new material and looked great until it went to the crusher 7 years later. Look for a local headliner shop and find out if it's worth it for some professional to do it right.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Many people have bought new foam-backed material at JoAnn Fabric stores, and the adhesive spray. Remove the headliner panel, scrape all old foam residue off, cut new material to fit, spray and attach, and install when done.

5. dak4x4

dak4x4 Member

Quick and dirty:
    Put a tarp on the seats.
    Remove the old cloth.
    Scrape off loose foam.
    Paint with latex paint colored to match cloth.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  6. '56 Custom Royal

As Bob mentioned ^^^^. I've done a bunch of them in our upholstery shop. BTW, my 2000 B2500 also needs done. Check your local upholstery supply stores for the material and Wal-Mart or hardware store will carry the spray adhesive. Enjoy!
    Craig