Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to remove 07 Sebring radiator

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by CudaPete, Nov 11, 2017.

1. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

So winter comes early (20F this morning) and daughter's 07 Sebring 2.4L is leaking coolant from the radiator. Coolant tested good down to -34F and leak is at top of the radiator below the hose. I tightened the hose clamp so hopefully that was it. But in looking at this thing, how do you get the radiator out in case I need to change it?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

3. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I would make an additional suggestion to the procedure outlines in the service manual starting at Figure 76 that I C referenced. The radiator removal procedure indicates recovering the refrigerant, opening the A C system and removing lines. This is required because the A C condenser is bolted to the radiator.

I would strongly suggest removing the front bumper cover fascia. Doing this gives you access to the bolts that attach the condenser to the radiator. This should allow removal of the radiator WITHOUT disturbing the lines or refrigerant in the A C system. It is very advisable to maintain the integrity and avoiding at all costs opening the refrigeration system.

Removing the front bumper cover fascia is not as formidable and time consuming as one would think. Here is a video on removing the front cover on a 2011 Chrysler 200. Mounting should be identical to your vehicle.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUkjFErKPBo

Dave Z and ImperialCrown like this.
  4. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Thank you for the replies. Maybe I am missing something but how do you remove the upper radiator support? It looks like a welded assembly that completely encloses the radiator and condensor, both top and bottom.

5. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

The reference to the upper radiator support has to be a clip / bolt that attaches a molded bracket in the radiator tank to the metal support. Once removed and with the condenser separated from the radiator and the cooling fan module assembly removed, you tip the radiator towards the engine and lift up.

6. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Ok, thanks. That makes sense. I will take your suggestion to remove the bumper to seperate the condensor in-place.

Probably will do this over the Thanksgiving holiday.

7. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

The support does not come off. The radiatior is held in place with p/n 05058136AB, top radiator isolater. It looks like they are pushed in place horizontally into the support. How do you remove them?

8. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

If you would take a picture of the isolator in place on the radiator and post to this forum it would help.

My guess: rotate 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise. Then lift isolator from protruding round plastic nub on radiator tank.

9. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Here is the view with the bumper/coverpanel installed. You have to remove the bumper to gain access below the panel.

20171113_160215_resized.jpg

10. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Another view

20171113_160239_resized.jpg

11. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Chrysler usually does extensive time studies and procedural method studies before publishing the R&R procedure in the service manual. Usually (but not always), the service manual procedure is the best and quickest way to perform the task.
    I agree that having to reclaim the A/C is a disappointment, but today's car assembly time savings for the manufacturer trump car repair time savings for the consumer. It makes sense if you are trying to get line build times down.
    I had the 3-piece upper radiator hose in the Caliber with a coolant leak at a plastic junction, but it looks like you have already replaced the hose.
    If the Sebring continues to lose coolant, I would pressure test it next.

AllanC and Dave Z like this.
  12. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

When I was working at Tysinger Motor Company, the joke about Chrysler's warranty times was that after having the double jointed dwarfs practice for several weeks they timed them and gave you 80% of that time. What was really frustrating was lack of diagnostic time, no time allowed to determine the cause, just time to repair/replace parts.

If you think doing one of those is fun, I have a 1995 Lincoln Continental, it is based on a Taurus chassis and the radiator and condenser along with the dual fan module come out from the bottom after removing half the front end.

Dave Z likes this.
  13. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

I took it into a local shop and this is a big job, 4 hours.. You can do it without disconnecting the A/C but there is a lot of disassembly.

14. DidierAub87

DidierAub87 New Member

It's very great. Thank you for useful information :D I will take note for my vehicle

15. Tomguy

Level 2 Supporter

I wouldn't try doing it without removing it as one unit as suggested. Doing just the condenser is a hard enough job because of the way the A/C line literally wraps around the radiator to get to the condenser on the left side. I can't see how you can get the radiator out if you leave the condenser in place. I'm sure you could do it but in my opinion, it's less time consuming to pull the condenser than it would be to finagle around the lines on the left for the A/C and the lines on the right for the trans cooler (which is physically a part of the condenser).