AF: Caliber - Hurray for the Neon! | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caliber Hurray for the Neon!

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by faliray, Feb 20, 2014.

1. faliray

faliray Active Member

Hey everyone:

I've owned a 2003 Neon since 2008 and I absolutely love it!!! In fact, I want to get the Neon's replacement as my next car. So, Caliber owners, how do you like your cars?

Ray

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Our family went from Horizons to Neons to Calibers. A Hillman Minx, Fiat 128, 2 Voyagers, Shadow and PT were also thrown in.
    The Caliber isn't really a 'replacement' for the Neon (it's like apples to oranges), although it may have taken it's place. All were entry-level, small, 4-cyl (Chrysler) vehicles.
    Chrysler got the small vehicle formula correct with the first Valiant in 1960 and then the first domestic 4-cyl FWD in 1978 and have continued to excel in small FWD automobiles since. The Dart and 500 may be closer to the Neon intent/formula.
    The Caliber is more of a CUV-wagon and has 3 times more airbags and sits a bit taller. It is also 600 lbs (272 kg) heavier and 30 hp more from a more advanced DOHC VVT 2.0L than Neon. Fuel economy is roughly the same. The wife's bad back had trouble getting in and out of the low Neon, she needs chair-height seating.
    I miss my Neon (PL) for what it was, but appreciate the Caliber (PM) for what it is.
    About a decade separates the advances and refinements, albeit cost-cutting between the two.
    The Neon was introduced as Chrysler was on a roll (1994). Caliber was introduced as Chrysler was entering darkness (2006).

3. faliray

faliray Active Member

Thanks for the info. I thought the Caliper was introduced in 2007. I do like the Fiat 500. I even drove one at the St. Louis Auto Show. When I get into a 500 I really like it, but I'm not entirely comfortable with a car that small. Comments?

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It all depends on what you feel comfortable in and what you need. Interior color has a lot to do with how 'small' a car feels. Darker interiors can feel downright claustrophobic.
    The Caliber was introduced around January 2006 as a 2007 model. I went to school for them around November 2005.